Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #916 of 2,322
Hi Rich,

Try other usb inputs (esp. USB 2.0) in your mobo.

Problem with the GO IMO, is that its sensitive. Picks up everything where you plug it into.

Michael 

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #917 of 2,322
  Hey Head-Fi,

I have just got my Silver Geek 1000 and I have a question. I'm getting occasional electrical noise/static from my Geek Out. I'm guessing this is noisy USB causing this. I would like to know how best to solve this. Using basic mobo USB port at back of comp.

If the glitches are due to noisy power coming from your PC...

For desktop use:

I can't say enough good things about this TeraDak PSU, which includes a very well made USB Y-cable, allowing you to pull only data from your PC or laptop, while 1 Amp worth of clean, regulated 5VDC power is provided by the PSU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181467993450

http://www.ab-system.hk/index.php?route=product/product&path=73&product_id=64

Note:  This PSU does not include a mains power cord.  

Here's a review by an Australian, who ordered from the HK dealer:  

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57902-teradak-low-noise-linear-power-supply-cheap-and-clean-5v-usb-power-source/

For the GO, when using the TeraDak Y-cable, you would also need one of these or one of these (or something similar) USB type B female to type A Female adapters.

You'll also need something like this or this to provide data from your PC or laptop to the Y-cable.

For mobile use:

Plug the TeraDak USB Y-cable into your choice of 5V Li-Ion battery packs.

Ideally, you should select a battery pack that's capable of delivering at least 1A at 5V, and don't get one that's too small or it won't last very long between charge cycles.

http://www.amazon.com/13000mAh-Portable-External-smartphones-lightning/dp/B00BQ5KHJW

Mike

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #918 of 2,322
^ Sort of defeats the purpose of a little usb dac/amp like the Geek Out....

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #919 of 2,322
+1 on post #916 and 917.

You might also (if you haven't already) investigate music player software that grabs CPU thread priority and RAM for specific use in music playback. Yes that will undermine and slow down the machine's ability to multitask/function as an everyday computer, but you only need to use it for critical listening. Such software will shut off or minimize many of the other processes going on in the background that can cause clicks pops stutter during music playback.

Also check your sound settings to be sure you are only routing music to the DAC, system sounds/alerts/notifications and the like should be sent to the computer's own speaker to avoid those interfering with sound quality.

I also found that a Bluetooth mouse positioned too physically close to the DAC can cause the occasional click or pop.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #920 of 2,322

Unless the intended purpose is great sound quality. If the computer has lousy low quality power coming from it's USB ports (many do), you don't have a choice but to try to improve it.

Only a real "burden" in a mobile sense, even there it's manageable but not from your pocket (the GO1000 gets too hot for your pocket anyway).

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #921 of 2,322

Unless the intended purpose is great sound quality. If the computer has lousy low quality power coming from it's USB ports (many do), you don't have a choice but to try to improve it.

Only a real "burden" in a mobile sense, even there it's manageable but not from your pocket (the GO1000 gets too hot for your pocket anyway).

I'm pretty sure there are other manufacturers of usb dac/amps that sound great and have somehow managed to avoid the necessity of a cumbersome power supply. If I thought I would have to go to such lengths with the GO, I wouldn't ever consider buying it. Of course, there are some who don't care about the added expense, and I congratulate them for not caring.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #923 of 2,322
  Yes! I'm using my GO1000 with my Galaxy Note 3 and Note 10. 2014 ed. tablet all on Android 4.4.2.

Now with the current version of UAPP, you could now play even in DSD (w/ dff files only).

Here Note 3 playing 2L's sample file in DSD128

Playing Yamina in DSD128 from dsdfile.com

But of course with the rest of Android devices, its a trial and error thing. Since USB audio is not yet officially supported. Glad we have UAPP and UARP around. 

Like Michael says, it's dependent on the device.  Currently, I cannot get my GO 720 to work with a Galaxy S4 and UAPP, yet two of his devices work.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #925 of 2,322

Yeah I know, right?

I mean, I bought this so I can use it on-the-go. There should be absolutely no reason why I would need an external power supply or something of the sort. That's just ridiculous. No other USB DAC I've tried has any problems with noise.

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #928 of 2,322
Yeah I know, right?

I mean, I bought this so I can use it on-the-go. There should be absolutely no reason why I would need an external power supply or something of the sort. That's just ridiculous. No other USB DAC I've tried has any problems with noise.

That's because the noise problem isn't that of the DAC, its a problem with the quality of the computer's USB output.

No one said anyone "needs" a separate add-on power supply, just that using one will improve sound quality.

if you have nothing else USB plugged in but the DAC, and/or you happen to have a computer with a noise free USB port implementation, then you are good, but that's more rare than many people think.

When you've never tried an external 5 volt power supply replacing dirty computer USB power, nor compared with and without using several different DACs, then your opinion on it is worth very close to zero.

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #929 of 2,322
That's because the noise problem isn't that of the DAC, its a problem with the quality of the computer's USB output.

No one said anyone "needs" a separate add-on power supply, just that using one will improve sound quality.

if you have nothing else USB plugged in but the DAC, and/or you happen to have a computer with a noise free USB port implementation, then you are good, but that's more rare than many people think.

When you've never tried an external 5 volt power supply replacing dirty computer USB power, nor compared with and without using several different DACs, then your opinion on it is worth very close to zero.

Yeah and I was saying the noise problem has only been heard with the GO and no other DAC I've tried. Why does the GO have so much more noise from the USB port than other DACs I've tried then if it's not the DAC itself?

Jul 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #930 of 2,322
Yeah and I was saying the noise problem has only been heard with the GO and no other DAC I've tried. Why does the GO have so much more noise from the USB port than other DACs I've tried then if it's not the DAC itself?

I don't know, but I've named the other DACs I've used for comparison, even left a couple out (that being the ADL Stride, and the MF V-DAC II). Those weren't quick cursory trials either, I own and use all of them in various work, hi-fi room, living room, and bedroom systems.

All of them benefit from noise reduction techniques such as software music players that hijack RAM and thread priority, as well as hardware implementations such as the Vaunix Lab Brick, iFi iUSBPower, and iPurifier.

Use of SSDs vs. HDDs also helps, as does disconnecting all other USB devices excepting the DAC itself.

The above tactics and products raise the sound quality several notches on all 5 DACs I've mentioned, so not a USB noise rejection shortcoming or phenomenon specific to the GO1000.

It should also be noted that most "noise" issues found on the USB ports of computers are EMI related, meaning noise that's ultrasonic or inaudible in and of itself, but whose negative effect on audio circuits (the DAC) is most certainly audible (it causes jitter and yes jitter is in many cases quite audible).

The occasional pop, click, or burst of static-like noise the OP mentioned? That is going to be event driven, i.e. a start-up of a moving parts HDD's platter, a system sound or notification, a click of a Bluetooth mouse in very close proximity to the DAC, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back