lifespan of shure sleeves
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ronin

New Head-Fier
i use the soft grey sleeves (medium) with my shure e3cs. i really like them since i find them comfortable and easier to get a proper seal with than the foam ones.

my only problem is that i seem to tear through them. i have to change a pair every two months or so (if i use them on a daily basis). the main reason is that they lose elasticity and when that happens the sleeves get stuck in my ears and i have to remove them manually. this gets real annoying.

how much time do other shure users get out of their ear sleeves? any suggestions on how i could get more life out of mine?

Jul 6, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 8
I go through a pair of soft flex every 3-4 weeks, yellow foams every week and a half, and flex 3 weeks. They do tear quite easily (softer ones). It seems that you are getting fairly good usage out of them, I get reduced life on mine because I am a heave user (they go into my ears 4-5 times a day, every day). For the part where they get stuck in your ear, just make sure they are on the nozzle all the way befor you put them in. I do this every time, and they havent came off since one time in school while I was giving my speech (right before, cause a quick and awkward trip to the nurses office). If you do that you should be fine.

Try the flex sleeves (clear ones) they are more firm and take a little longer to loosen up to the point where they slide. You will get a better seal with them too.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 8
I've rotated thru the pairs of softips I have numerous times. About two or three times a week I'll wash them with a bit of hand soap or windex on a soft rag, and rotate to a new pair about every 2 months. They tend to get slippery in the ear when covered with oil/wax and a good cleaning (of both tips and ears) restores the natural tackiness of the silicon which helps them stay in place better. Finally, when they slip off the nozzles too easily I'll spray some windex on a pipe cleaner and run it thru the tip, and this usually removes oil/wax and the tips stay on easier. Although I've tried all the various types of tips available, these still work the best for me (I use mediums on my Etys and large on my UM2s and ordered sets of 5 pairs each of which I have yet to wear out). Good luck
3000smile.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #4 of 8
The grey soft tip stalks seem to expand on me every 4 weeks or so, and end stuck in the back of my ear. Foams last me about 2 weeks. The best I've had so far is the clear flex tips, which are 2 months strong and counting.

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 8
wow, I must over use mine...

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 8
maybe this will sound repetitive.
but i really do suggest going and getting custom tips made.

they should last you years. and the sound better, and are comfier.
i paid 80 canadian for mine (tax, fees and everything included)

i suggest u all to do the same

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 8
^from where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back