Life after Yggdrasil?
Aug 16, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,264 of 1,366
I heard it against an Ayre QX-8 and iFI iDSD and thought it sounded tilted. It's not neutral-sounding. It's heavy on the low end.

What are you referring to ?

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #1,267 of 1,366
Do you mind introducing yourself? What's your story, history in this hobby? What was your ABX listening scenario? What equipment?

I used to be into headphones but now am mainly a speaker listener. I was listening to the three DACs on my friend's modded Sennheiser 800 on a Cavalli Liquid Gold Amp with ZENith Mk. II SE music server to a SOtM tX-USB Ultra. The tX-USB Ultra was powered by a Paul Hynes SR-4 LPS. The SOtM tX-USB Ultra and iFI iDSD were clocked by a Mutec Ref10. Everything was connected to 6 gauge wiring, dedicated circuit with a Jim Weil of Sound Application outlet. The iFI iDSD was powered by my Paul Hynes SR7MR2DRXL. There may be some other equipment that I'm forgetting.

I personally own a set of Jerg modded Hifiman HE500 and Fostex TH-X00. I've also owned or have heard extensively the AKG K702 65th Annies, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, DT990, Hifiman RE0, Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD600 and various other headphones.

My current system is a ZENith Mk. II SE music server to a SOtM tX-USB Ultra to a dX-USB Ultra to a Yggy gen 1 via Transparent Reference AES cable. The Yggy goes to an Audio Research Ref6 preamp via Shunyata Zitron Python XLR cables. The Audio Research Ref6 is connected to a Hegel H30 via some fairly cheap XLRs. The Hegel H30 powers Magnepan 3.7i speakers with dual Rythmik F12G subs. The SOtM tX-USB Ultra and dX-USB Ultra are powered by a Paul Hynes SR7MR2DRXL and clocked by a Mutec Ref10. I have a Curious USB and Lush USB cable between the ZENith and tX and dX. I have several GiK room treatments, including 4 diffusors and 5 Monster Bass Traps with range limiters and scatter plates.

I've compared various DACs in my own system and my friend's. We've compared the Yggy, Ayre Codex, Ayre QX-8, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Chord DAVE, Chord Hugo 2, iFi iDSD, DENAFRIPS Terminator, ODAC rev 1, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, and maybe a few others.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,270 of 1,366
I used to be into headphones but now am mainly a speaker listener. I was listening to the three DACs on my friend's modded Sennheiser 800 on a Cavalli Liquid Gold Amp with ZENith Mk. II SE music server to a SOtM tX-USB Ultra. The tX-USB Ultra was powered by a Paul Hynes SR-4 LPS. The SOtM tX-USB Ultra and iFI iDSD were clocked by a Mutec Ref10. Everything was connected to 6 gauge wiring, dedicated circuit with a Jim Weil of Sound Application outlet. The iFI iDSD was powered by my Paul Hynes SR7MR2DRXL. There may be some other equipment that I'm forgetting.

I personally own a set of Jerg modded Hifiman HE500 and Fostex TH-X00. I've also owned or have heard extensively the AKG K702 65th Annies, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, DT990, Hifiman RE0, Sennheiser HD650, Sennheiser HD600 and various other headphones.

My current system is a ZENith Mk. II SE music server to a SOtM tX-USB Ultra to a dX-USB Ultra to a Yggy gen 1 via Transparent Reference AES cable. The Yggy goes to an Audio Research Ref6 preamp via Shunyata Zitron Python XLR cables. The Audio Research Ref6 is connected to a Hegel H30 via some fairly cheap XLRs. The Hegel H30 powers Magnepan 3.7i speakers with dual Rythmik F12G subs. The SOtM tX-USB Ultra and dX-USB Ultra are powered by a Paul Hynes SR7MR2DRXL and clocked by a Mutec Ref10. I have a Curious USB and Lush USB cable between the ZENith and tX and dX. I have several GiK room treatments, including 4 diffusors and 5 Monster Bass Traps with range limiters and scatter plates.

I've compared various DACs in my own system and my friend's. We've compared the Yggy, Ayre Codex, Ayre QX-8, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Chord DAVE, Chord Hugo 2, iFi iDSD, DENAFRIPS Terminator, ODAC rev 1, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, and maybe a few others.
Hrm.. well thanks for the response. Did you ever test the denafrips on your system? Now that you mention your system I do recall seeing a picture of it a while back. That preamp is really nice... how did you get your hands on one? They're $16.000 new...

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #1,271 of 1,366
Hrm.. well thanks for the response. Did you ever test the denafrips on your system? Now that you mention your system I do recall seeing a picture of it a while back. That preamp is really nice... how did you get your hands on one? They're $16.000 new...

I haven't heard the DENAFRIPS yet in my system. I got the Ref6 used for $9k.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #1,272 of 1,366
Total dac 7 and la scala formula. Not shopping but love to hear from owners....

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #1,273 of 1,366
never owned a yg

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #1,274 of 1,366
Everything was connected to 6 gauge wiring, dedicated circuit with a Jim Weil of Sound Application outlet. The iFI iDSD was powered by my Paul Hynes SR7MR2DRXL.

Don't the Paul Hynes SR7 power supplies have a year+ wait time to be built. From what I read, there is a 2-4 month wait time to even get Paul Hynes to respond to an email.

I'm also curious, but what cables were the 6 gauge used? That seems like an insanely thick cable, & I haven't really seen any sold that big.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,275 of 1,366
Don't the Paul Hynes SR7 power supplies have a year+ wait time to be built. From what I read, there is a 2-4 month wait time to even get Paul Hynes to even respond to an email.

I'm also curious, but what cables were the 6 gauge used? That seems like an insanely thick cable, & I haven't really seen any sold that big.

It sure does. I waited for over a year for my SR7. It's some cable that Jim Weil recommended. The good thing is that we could directly compare his normal wiring and outlet to the 6 gauge with Weil outlet. The difference was noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back