Life after Yggdrasil?
Aug 26, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #766 of 1,366
Spent the evening playing with vinyl ... starting in here ...

With this ...

... doing some needle-drops with these (off the S/PDIF output on the Akurate DSM/1) ...

And it started okay, with spinning this ...

... but then it all went a bit pear-shaped and went here:

And my drop of that beats out the 24/96 version from HD Tracks by two points on DR and a lot more musicality by ear.

That I now need to be rescued from 1978 is another matter entirely.

Aug 26, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #767 of 1,366
Very nice stack!i I just got into records and between the few songs that I have on LPs and the songs that I bought on HD Tracks there is no contest. The vinyl wins.

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #768 of 1,366
Even Radiohead's latest album is cut from a digital master... lots of complaints about the mastering quality on that one.

Analog vinyl masters are the very rare exception nowadays. Most of the music is created digitally... even more is recorded digitally .. and even more is mixed/mastered digitally.
On top of that I do not think there is any company left that produces things like analog mixing consoles, tape recorders or vinyl presses. The whole analog music industry is going to die. Probably not so soon but quite sure.

Aug 26, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #769 of 1,366
http://www.analogplanet.com/content/bernie-grundman-cuts-lacquers-vanessa-fernandezs-when-levee-breaks#y07qP7KAL2g4jxpC.97

This album has analog master. I have it and it sounds very, very good. It's from 2016.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #770 of 1,366
Analog vinyl masters are the very rare exception nowadays. Most of the music is created digitally... even more is recorded digitally .. and even more is mixed/mastered digitally.
On top of that I do not think there is any company left that produces things like analog mixing consoles, tape recorders or vinyl presses. The whole analog music industry is going to die. Probably not so soon but quite sure.

Digital recordings can sound good but most are unlistenable, hence the analog revival.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #771 of 1,366
don't think this was mentioned, a little bit of a dark horse, but hearing this against the Chord DAVE, it find that it has a certain density and flow that I found quite engrossing.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue71/reimyo_dap999ex.htm

Aug 27, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #772 of 1,366
  Spent the evening playing with vinyl ... 
... but then it all went a bit pear-shaped and went here:

And my drop of that beats out the 24/96 version from HD Tracks by two points on DR and a lot more musicality by ear.

That I now need to be rescued from 1978 is another matter entirely.

Be thankful that's where you ended up.  Looking at this list it could have been a lot worse.

I think the only thing on that list I would have enjoyed is the Foreigner.

Aug 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #773 of 1,366
Picked up a brand new Directstream DAC, I was considering the JR, but decided to just pull the trigger on the regular Directstream. Haven't listened yet, but so far am impressed with how intuitive and easy the touchscreen is and how well it looks on my rack.

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #775 of 1,366
 Digital recordings can sound good but most are unlistenable, hence the analog revival.

Blame the loudness wars and the harsh digital mixes for that.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #776 of 1,366

I'm reminded of the most horrific screetch and painful chalk and fingernails on the chalk board I have ever heard from rolling stones albums back in the day.
They had no equal, before or since.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back