LHY UIP USB audio isolator
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Jake2

Headphoneus Supremus
Creating a new thread for discussion of and owner/user experiences with this recently released USB isolator by LHY.

[placeholder for product info]

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 43
[placeholder for listening impressions]

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 43
[placeholder for listening comparisons.. incl A-B with Innuos PhoenixUSB]

Prelim list of gear to compare against and/or use together in combination:
  • Holo Titanis USB isolator /regenerator
  • Singxer SU-6
  • Gustard U18
  • LHY OCK-2
  • Innuous Phoenix USB
Teaser photo 😉… and yes the comparison will be with stock AC cables I’ve run clean out of good AC cables.

IMG_0191.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 43
Happy owner too. I’ve got less than 100 hours so will comment in time to come. I’m running the UIP from my DMP-A6 to Gustard R26 connected to my Willsenton R8 tube amp. Initial impressions are very promising thus far with marked improvement in terms of soundstage. ☺️

Apr 14, 2024 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 43
I've got this on my watch list on aliexpress.
@Jake2 have you tried it with the external clock input ? Or anyone ?
Yep, updated list of gear I’ll use for comparisons above includes my OCK-2, will compare vs the UIP’s internal OCXO. As well as @2mas there’s another chap @seenc who has the UIP + OCK-2 and a CenGrand DAC I invited to share his experiences here. From recollection his experience was a little more favourable.

I’m sorta wary of this immediately turning into an external clock centric discussion, which can get contentious, but hey the interest in this upgradeability aspect of the UIP is very natural so que sera sera.

Apr 17, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 43
I’m about 100 hours of burning in for the UIP. Apart from soundstage improvements, instruments have a lot more weight. Vocals tend to fill the room rather than being in a single position. Not sure how to describe this but it’s like moving from the middle row to the front row of a concert. Everything seems to be bigger as least to my own ears. Background is also a lot quieter so you can actually feel the emotions of the singer. I am wary that this could be due to my R26 burning in as well so I’ll do test without the UIP soon but I’m enjoying it so much reluctant to take it out now 😂

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #11 of 43
UIP + OCK-2
I am extremely pleased with this bundle. There are very strong and noticeable changes that can be heard from the first few seconds of listening.
I don't need to doubt anything as everything is obvious and very tangible. It's difficult to even point out where there aren't any improvements because they are everywhere. However, the most distinct improvements for me and in my conditions are a darker background, an increase in information content, and more music with less sharpness.

If try to quantify it, the amount of improvement is probably around 60-70 percent of UIP, while the remaining 40-30 percent is in the OCK-2.

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 43
The clock is next on my list. Still pondering between OCK-1 or 2. The latter costs almost twice. @Jake2, have you had experience with both that you can share.
I have both. I’ve shared my experience once or twice before.. here’s a few posts:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17517739

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17499063

There’s also Leo Bodnar

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gustard-u18.960682/post-17710743

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17656083

Apr 20, 2024 at 1:28 AM Post #15 of 43
I might be going this route (USB) instead on FMC.

Liking very much right now: PC w/ Roon + HQP (upsample to PCM 32/384) via USB -> SU-6 out via SPDIF (PCM32/384 or DSD128 is max supported rate) -> HUB/DAC

Will be placing a USB Reclock/Regen before SU-6. Have an old LH Labs Revive (but its battery is dying now) and heard a difference when placing it.

Think this setup is more cost effective, performance wise and simpler (no more SFPs and Cables that are extra w/ FMC route).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back