Gustard U18
Aug 29, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,846 of 1,992
Okay. As long as you have a quality cable I would suggest giving AES a try. Perhaps compare both if you're able
I have compared the two on the V850, which has both inputs - however it was a quick comparison, so I did not notice any differences. AES/EBU cable is a Mogami one, the optical cables are from the KabelDirekt brand. Can't complain at all...

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,847 of 1,992
I am thinking of upgrading, and am curious about your thoughts on what would bring the biggest sonic benefit:

1) Adding an external clock (OCK1 at $350) to my modded Singxer SU1, or

2) Selling the SU1 and upgrading to a U18 for $500?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,848 of 1,992
I am thinking of upgrading, and am curious about your thoughts on what would bring the biggest sonic benefit:

1) Adding an external clock (OCK1 at $350) to my modded Singxer SU1, or

2) Selling the SU1 and upgrading to a U18 for $500?

Thanks!
Quoted below from post #50
U18 is a best buy in the 4xx price range. If you owned U16 or Singxer SU 1, 2 or 6, this is a very good upgrade.
DI-20HE is another class that won’t disappoint you, if you go straight to the top league.
Some additional benefit :
1) U18 support DSD512 (SU1 max out DSD256 I think, not that it matters, I don't have any DSD512 songs and I am not a supporter of DSD upsampling)
2) the external clock is 10Mhz, so the DDC still needs to multiply the clock to generate word clock. K2 generator inside U18 is better than the clock generator inside Singxer. So even using same quality clock, U18 should still be better.

BTW, if I were you, I would upgrade to OCK-2 instead of OCK-1, it is not that much difference in price considering the difference in quality of the clock. I am using OCK-2, the details it provides matches with high end systems.

If money is a concern at the moment, upgrade to U18 first, then add OCK-2 when you have the money, that's the way to go.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #1,849 of 1,992

1) U18 support DSD512 (SU1 max out DSD256 I think, not that it matters, I don't have any DSD512 songs and I am not a supporter of DSD upsampling)
2) the external clock is 10Mhz, so the DDC still needs to multiply the clock to generate word clock. K2 generator inside U18 is better than the clock generator inside Singxer. So even using same quality clock, U18 should still be better.

BTW, if I were you, I would upgrade to OCK-2 instead of OCK-1, it is not that much difference in price considering the difference in quality of the clock. I am using OCK-2, the details it provides matches with high end systems.

If money is a concern at the moment, upgrade to U18 first, then add OCK-2 when you have the money, that's the way to go.
I would do same re going straight to OCK-2, another level of refinement, resolution and dynamics over the OCK-1. However Leo Bodnar is very good too, especially with a good power supply, v good value. If funds permit U18 + LB would be a pretty good combo I reckon. I have all three and the SU6 and U18 too.. need to sell some gear.

Aug 30, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #1,850 of 1,992

Thanks, @ray12345. I bought the U18, and will do a comparison with the SU1.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #1,853 of 1,992
Unfortunately the AMR fuse turned out to be unavailable so my order got cancelled. Hopefully I will have more luck with the 630mA Gustard fuse I ordered from Aoshida's store on AliExpress.
I know they're pricey but I noticed a bump in SQ in going from a Gustard fuse to a Purple. The Gustards are better than the supplied fuse but don't match the purples.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #1,856 of 1,992
Has anyone tried the Aune XC1 external clock?

It is intriguing, as it seems to be the lowest cost option, yet Aune consistently punches above its weight.

Unfortunately I am not finding any reviews on it...

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,857 of 1,992
I received my U18.

I probably have about 20 total hours on it, but so far it sounds great.

So far I hear more separation and air, plus less grain in the treble, compared to my previous Singxer SU1.

One interesting issue though; it doesn't like WASAPI Shared output - it injects static/crackling and loses coax digital lock when fast forwarding through tracks. I guess this is a non-issue, since I usually have it on ASIO playback.

I am still thinking about adding an external clock, but think I will let it burn in and upgrade my fuse first, so that I really understand how it sounds.

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #1,858 of 1,992
I received my U18.

I probably have about 20 total hours on it, but so far it sounds great.

So far I hear more separation and air, plus less grain in the treble, compared to my previous Singxer SU1.

One interesting issue though; it doesn't like WASAPI Shared output - it injects static/crackling and loses coax digital lock when fast forwarding through tracks. I guess this is a non-issue, since I usually have it on ASIO playback.

I am still thinking about adding an external clock, but think I will let it burn in and upgrade my fuse first, so that I really understand how it sounds.

I still have mixed opinions of using a EXT clock on the U18, it's more musical with ONLY my X26 Pro paired with the Ock-2, it sounds more "dynamic" with the U18 and X26 Pro on EXT mode but the mids and lower mids sound like they're bunched up and pushed a bit back which on some tracks it seems ok but with a lot of other genres, something feels missing.

X26 Pro on EXT and U18 on INT= Quite musical, mids are more prominent, treble is more rolled off but it seems to decay in a more musical way.

X26 Pro on EXT and U18 on EXT= More surgical overall, mids and lower mids pushed back a bit, better dynamics (more bass resolution and slightly better slam) lower treble has more energy.
Dare I say, this sounds more "Focal-like".

Sep 3, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,859 of 1,992
U18 is doing a great job with the AfterDark Master clock (50ohm BNC cable from Afterdark). I'm going to add an Afterdark LPS power supply and cable next week and see if I can tell a difference. It is claimed to also make an audible difference. Currently powering it with an ifi power x 5v in my PSM136. This is def one of the best upgrades I've seen. I can't tell any difference from the start related to break-in after two days but I've been shaking the table it's on every day as I mess with tubes/cables daily which might be part of it. I did put it on top of a piece of wood from the yard and try to be gentle when swapping stuff :smile_phones:

I'd say I value this maybe as much as when I originally added the U18/fuse with I2s vs USB to DAC which is pretty dang big. In part this is because "digital glare" is removed. I had no idea this was a thing. Instant zero fatigue in the sound right away. No doubt some new levels of separation/control/timbre/dynamics I hadn't seen are there right away too. One must get used to it as it is quite a change to the sound but it is also an immediate improvement. It can be softer and also more dynamic with the center stage probably more recessed or softer on average. Surrounding dynamics are clearer, better controlled and can have more thick musical timbres/textures and an increased sense of individual crescendos. Best part is non fatiguing sound for sure! My Beryl headphones are quite forward with raised tuning so this is worth alot to me. I can listen all day at a much higher volume now (Roughly 20 percent louder)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #1,860 of 1,992
I still have mixed opinions of using a EXT clock on the U18, it's more musical with ONLY my X26 Pro paired with the Ock-2, it sounds more "dynamic" with the U18 and X26 Pro on EXT mode but the mids and lower mids sound like they're bunched up and pushed a bit back which on some tracks it seems ok but with a lot of other genres, something feels missing.

X26 Pro on EXT and U18 on INT= Quite musical, mids are more prominent, treble is more rolled off but it seems to decay in a more musical way.

X26 Pro on EXT and U18 on EXT= More surgical overall, mids and lower mids pushed back a bit, better dynamics (more bass resolution and slightly better slam) lower treble has more energy.
Dare I say, this sounds more "Focal-like".
what clock cable are you using for connection to X26 Pro and U18? I am a X26 Pro and U18 user as well, on my system, both U18 and X26 Pro on EXT clock provides better resolution and soundstage with no downside. If your U18 sound more surgical overall with EXT clock, it may be an indication that you are not using a suitable cable for clock connection to U18. FYI, I am using 2 different clock cables for connection to X26 Pro and U18, what is good for X26 Pro may not be good for U18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back