Gustard U18
Aug 7, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #1,816 of 1,992
Every system is different, maybe in your system 2 harmonic tech cables can work together.

Harmonic tech clock cables need long time to run in. The first 72 hours seem to sound good on vocals but less separation between instruments, after 72 hours vocals will start to sound thin, but separation will be better and better. Everything will come together after 300 hours, you will have airy vocals with good instrument separation then.

My system has x3 purple fuses so maybe that helps a little with the mids, I can also agree that my first Harmonic Tech Copper cable changed a whole lot, it became far less fatiguing at Squarewave and was a must have when used in my X26 Pro. The separation and dynamics boost is starting to become really apparent with my second cable fed to my U18, it's quite interesting. Maybe a week later and all harshness will be rolled off and gone and what I'll be left with is heaven. :)

Aug 10, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,817 of 1,992
I'm trying to make a DIY I2S cable to connect the X26Pro and the U18 with the minimum number of conductors. I was hoping someone could enlighten me on which pins are actually in use and thus require a wire. And would 24-gauge (0.5mm diameter) solid wires be a good choice for this audio-only I2S cable? Thanks.

1691678982704.png

Aug 10, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #1,818 of 1,992
Everything that is labeled NC is not connected to anything so you need to connect everything except pins 11,14,16,18.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #1,820 of 1,992
Probably it could be soldered to plug shielding if available.Is it bare wire or is it insulated?

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #1,821 of 1,992
Aug 12, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,822 of 1,992
Why this cable may be better then any stock high quality cable ? Like Wireworld or Supra or similar?
oh, the photo is just one of my references when I was searching for the shielding structure of various bulk HDMI cables. And I noticed a wire no.20 in this particular bulk caboe where the HDMI connector only has 19 soldering connection points.

I intend to build one from bare solid wires, teflon tubes and foil as a challenge.

Aug 12, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #1,824 of 1,992
I intend to build one from bare solid wires, teflon tubes and foil as a challenge.
Show some photos of this idea. I know great wire which fits perfectly for all kind of interconnects but make a DIY HDMI cable with 15 conductors, each one in teflon tube. I couldn't HDMI plug that fit that thick overall cable

Aug 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,825 of 1,992
Teflon is the magic ingredient when it comes to cables. Obviously you already know that, but I'm stating it in case others aren't aware. I'm pretty much set for cables, but should I need some in the future, if I don't see Teflon insulation I'll likely keep shopping until I do

Aug 13, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #1,826 of 1,992
Teflon is the magic ingredient when it comes to cables. Obviously you already know that, but I'm stating it in case others aren't aware. I'm pretty much set for cables, but should I need some in the future, if I don't see Teflon insulation I'll likely keep shopping until I do
PTFE/ Teflon with air dielectric is the best, and much easier to put the wire into the tube than tight-fitting tubes. Teflon tubes can be easily and cheaply bought from aliexpress, one could experiment with various diameters and wall thickness.

Aug 13, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #1,827 of 1,992
Aug 13, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,828 of 1,992
I found better one which is woolen felt. It`s a pain to work on this this bare wires but it worth it.

Here`s same data.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...n-conductive-Fabric-e-r1-tan-d_tbl1_271514332
you are indeed correct. fabrics eg cotton has lower dielectric constant than teflon, it works well in making interconnects etc RCA/ XLR cables. However, using oversized teflon tubes is easy and air has the lowest dilectric constant of all materials on Earth. The wires are bascially mostly in touch with air, not the teflon tube.

Aug 13, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #1,829 of 1,992
Gotta say adding the 4th purple fuse in my chain to the U18 I wasn't expecting much at all. I was wrong it helped stabilize the system for sure. I am getting rid of power bugs at the time and I recently figured out I need a power supply as I can tell some hours of the day the power is dirty here (sound becomes brittle/muddled and then gets better on its own). I think this is part of why the fuse was so noticeable.

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,830 of 1,992
Gotta say adding the 4th purple fuse in my chain to the U18 I wasn't expecting much at all. I was wrong it helped stabilize the system for sure. I am getting rid of power bugs at the time and I recently figured out I need a power supply as I can tell some hours of the day the power is dirty here (sound becomes brittle/muddled and then gets better on its own). I think this is part of why the fuse was so noticeable.

Wow, 4 purple fuses and I thought I was crazy with my 3. Do you also use a power conditioner? My Furman Elite-15 PFI power conditioner seems to also blacken the background further and makes the changes from the fuses more apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back