Gustard U18
Aug 14, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,831 of 1,992
The wires are bascially mostly in touch with air, not the teflon tube.
Could you share what kind of wire are going to use and sizes of teflon tubes?

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #1,832 of 1,992
Aug 14, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #1,833 of 1,992
Could you share what kind of wire are going to use and sizes of teflon tubes?
I have not made up my mind yet, guess I need to experiment a bit by trial and error for each pairing of equipment setup. For example, I use 0.5mm-0.7mm single solid core silver or silver-gold wires in teflon tubes with inner diameter approx. double the diameter of the wire for interconnects for my headphone setup. But on my speakers setup, the best-sounding interconnnects are 1mm diameter pure silver or multi-solid core with smaller teflon tubes.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,834 of 1,992
What's the fuse rating for U18?
Look in the Gustard website for the Gustard Fuses, it will tell you which version/type for the U18 therefore you have to get the same rating for SR Purple Fuses.

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #1,835 of 1,992
Wow, 4 purple fuses and I thought I was crazy with my 3. Do you also use a power conditioner? My Furman Elite-15 PFI power conditioner seems to also blacken the background further and makes the changes from the fuses more apparent.
I have a Puritan PSM 136 on the way, right now I'm using a $40 Furman power conditioner for everything but the AMP which sounds best plugged straight into the wall. When the power gets bad enough I might put it back on the conditioner though for a bit in the evening.

Aug 14, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,836 of 1,992
What's the fuse rating for U18?
630mA. So, if you're getting an SR Purple, it would be Small 5x20mm (0.75"), Slow (T), 630mA.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,837 of 1,992
I have a Puritan PSM 136 on the way, right now I'm using a $40 Furman power conditioner for everything but the AMP which sounds best plugged straight into the wall. When the power gets bad enough I might put it back on the conditioner though for a bit in the evening.

Cool!
Looking for power conditioners can be quite annoying because you need one that won't impede the power to your devices and then you have to get a quality power conditioning cable or power cable to feed from your wall to your conditioner.

If you are planning to place the power conditioner above ground, try not to get those massively beefy power cables like the Pangea Audio ones, they're too heavy and will tug on the A/C socket of the conditioner and get loose.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #1,838 of 1,992
Cool!
Looking for power conditioners can be quite annoying because you need one that won't impede the power to your devices and then you have to get a quality power conditioning cable or power cable to feed from your wall to your conditioner.

If you are planning to place the power conditioner above ground, try not to get those massively beefy power cables like the Pangea Audio ones, they're too heavy and will tug on the A/C socket of the conditioner and get loose.
Yea I'm on a budget so I needed something that had alot of value. The PSM 136 is highly rated and punches well above its paygrade. Thankfully they are known to have good dynamics. All of their supplies even include a decent in-house cable standard in the price too.

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,839 of 1,992
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #1,840 of 1,992
Small 5x20mm (0.75"), Slow (T), 630mA.
It`s a bummer cause 1A is lowest available locally.
I will return to fuse in a month cause now my U18 has 3 days and i`ts already unbelievable what it does (to Musician Pegasus with Purple Fuse).

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #1,842 of 1,992
My U18 has continued its break-in process and I have noticed a few extra minor adjustments in the sound reproduction - namely, a slightly improved layering and sense of space, and a touch more tonal correctness. Out of curiosity, I recently ordered an AMR Gold Fuse - given the competitive price - just to experiment a bit. It should be delivered in a week or so, I will update my impressions after the fuse installation. Are the AMR fuses directional as well?

Aug 28, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,843 of 1,992
My U18 has continued its break-in process and I have noticed a few extra minor adjustments in the sound reproduction - namely, a slightly improved layering and sense of space, and a touch more tonal correctness. Out of curiosity, I recently ordered an AMR Gold Fuse - given the competitive price - just to experiment a bit. It should be delivered in a week or so, I will update my impressions after the fuse installation. Are the AMR fuses directional as well?
I imagine you're using the i2s output if your DAC features that input?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back