LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Sep 29, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #1,411 of 2,040
While it might be different from the AK output of say the AK240, I wouldn't say it's "unique", as the Geek TRRS pin-outs match the ReZero standard per an earlier post on the V2+ thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/765527/lh-labs-geek-out-v2-discussion-thread/240#post_11886238

I have cables from Luna Shops (a Chinese cable maker you can find online and on eBay) that I've used successfully. 

Cheers 

It's the HiFiMAN, Oppo PM-3, and Sony style balanced TRRS pin out.

I could only say that it's unique in reference to the volume of A&K players that are out in the wild that have the A&K style TRRS pin out, which is different.

LH Labs using the HiFiMAN style actually sounds more common, I'd you compare the # of brands that use it. It's also, IMO, a better arrangement as you can plug a balanced HiFiMAN style TRRS cable directly into an unbalanced 3.5mm TRS jack and it works fine. It doesn't damage anything, it plays correctly, and it's the right size. I hate the 2.5mm A&K ones...

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #1,412 of 2,040
It's the HiFiMAN, Oppo PM-3, and Sony style balanced TRRS pin out.

I could only say that it's unique in reference to the volume of A&K players that are out in the wild that have the A&K style TRRS pin out, which is different.

LH Labs using the HiFiMAN style actually sounds more common, I'd you compare the # of brands that use it. It's also, IMO, a better arrangement as you can plug a balanced HiFiMAN style TRRS cable directly into an unbalanced 3.5mm TRS jack and it works fine. It doesn't damage anything, it plays correctly, and it's the right size. I hate the 2.5mm A&K ones...

If it's Sony style, then I assume I'm okay with my norne cable :)  Thanks guys!!

I also signed up for the GO2A link

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #1,413 of 2,040
The 3.5mm TRRS HifiMan style pinout works in some 3.5mm TRS jacks. if the jack has a plastic shell then probably not, but if the jack has a metal shell then it probably will. The Geek IEM-X does not work in my Sansa Fuze or iRiver H320, but it does work in the 3.5>6.5mm adapter that I have been using with my infinity.

Still better than the 2.5mm TRRS that A&K uses.

J.P.

Sep 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,414 of 2,040
After tons of waiting, I finally got my pre-order V2+. Quite enjoying it on my AKG 7xxs and my custom modded SR80s.

Question: Anyone get the Geek Out V2+ working with a USB-C phone? More specifically, a OnePlus 3?

It works beautifully on my PC, works on my Oneplus One (and probably would work on my Nexus devices). But I had this concern before my unit shipped. I had contacted LH Labs and they said they'd send me my copy and I could test it... which is why I have it. And it doesn't work. I don't really wanna give up on it just yet though, if anyone has a solution, lemme know.

I've tried plugging it in with a cable I know works for data transfer from Micro-USB to Micro-USB with a USB-C adapter, both parts I've verfied are in working condition. No dice, so far.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #1,415 of 2,040
  After tons of waiting, I finally got my pre-order V2+. Quite enjoying it on my AKG 7xxs and my custom modded SR80s.

Question: Anyone get the Geek Out V2+ working with a USB-C phone? More specifically, a OnePlus 3?

It works beautifully on my PC, works on my Oneplus One (and probably would work on my Nexus devices). But I had this concern before my unit shipped. I had contacted LH Labs and they said they'd send me my copy and I could test it... which is why I have it. And it doesn't work. I don't really wanna give up on it just yet though, if anyone has a solution, lemme know.

I've tried plugging it in with a cable I know works for data transfer from Micro-USB to Micro-USB with a USB-C adapter, both parts I've verfied are in working condition. No dice, so far.

Use a cable with Micro USB on one end, and Type C on the other. They exist and it works where adapters don't.

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,418 of 2,040
Sep 30, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #1,420 of 2,040

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,421 of 2,040
Finally got my balanced cables and really impressed. I have my GOV2+ balanced out connected to balanced in to my CDM then balanced out to Laylas. Compared to SE, I find the bass to extend deeper and much tighter with the highs better defined. I think this will be my end game setup for some time. For my IEM setup anyway LOL.

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,422 of 2,040
  Finally got my balanced cables and really impressed. I have my GOV2+ balanced out connected to balanced in to my CDM then balanced out to Laylas. Compared to SE, I find the bass to extend deeper and much tighter with the highs better defined. I think this will be my end game setup for some time. For my IEM setup anyway LOL.

Comparison to the Mojo? I only ask because I see you have both. I had the mojo before, but it has recessed treble and a smaller defined soundstage. I got balanced cables and am waiting for my GOV2+ to arrive. I don't have the mojo at hand, but I am thinking about just repurchasing one because I miss its sound.

Oct 1, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #1,424 of 2,040
  Comparison to the Mojo? I only ask because I see you have both. I had the mojo before, but it has recessed treble and a smaller defined soundstage. I got balanced cables and am waiting for my GOV2+ to arrive. I don't have the mojo at hand, but I am thinking about just repurchasing one because I miss its sound.

There is nothing definitive that I can think of that says get a Mojo versus GOV2+ or vice versa. It's all preference and if you need more than USB connectivity, the it's an obvious answer to go with Mojo. I have invested in mostly balanced gear and cables so that's my primary reason to use the GOV2+. Subjectively I think balanced adds a a tighter and extended low end and better clarity on the high end. Can't really go wrong with Mojo either.

Oct 1, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #1,425 of 2,040

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back