LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Apr 28, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #961 of 2,040
I posted this in the regular V2's thread but here's my problem:

I'm having an extremely difficult time discerning the differences between the FRM (green) and TCM (blue) filter. I'm using my HD650 plugged into the balanced out. At first I thought it was my Sony MA900's having a hard time showing the differences so I plugged in the HD650. Initially I thought there must have been a difference, but now that I'm switching back and forth between the filters - FIY, I've been doing that for the past hour or so, it is extremely difficult to pick out the differences. At times I though the treble might have been a ever so slightly more pronounced with the blue filter, but there's a huge chance thats a placebo effect from what I'm reading about the two filters, and it most likely is my head messing with me. I'd like to know from the people who can actually hear the differences between the two filters, how subtle are they and is it normal that I'm having this much trouble discerning the difference? This is driving me insane and I'd like some input.  

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #962 of 2,040
  I posted this in the regular V2's thread but here's my problem:

I'm having an extremely difficult time discerning the differences between the FRM (green) and TCM (blue) filter. I'm using my HD650 plugged into the balanced out. At first I thought it was my Sony MA900's having a hard time showing the differences so I plugged in the HD650. Initially I thought there must have been a difference, but now that I'm switching back and forth between the filters - FIY, I've been doing that for the past hour or so, it is extremely difficult to pick out the differences. At times I though the treble might have been a ever so slightly more pronounced with the blue filter, but there's a huge chance thats a placebo effect from what I'm reading about the two filters, and it most likely is my head messing with me. I'd like to know from the people who can actually hear the differences between the two filters, how subtle are they and is it normal that I'm having this much trouble discerning the difference? This is driving me insane and I'd like some input.  

Probably not worth being too bothered by- I think the difference in these filter modes are usually very subtle- Prior to the v2 had a DAP with an AKM dac which had four digital filter modes and I could not really tell the difference. Maybe those people who really study and have spent years using the same reference tracks (for some reason Hotel California seems to be the one) might get more out of the filter stuff.

Through V2, not always but with some songs, while switching the filter blindly can fairly consistently choose the same preferred mode (generally prefer the default blue mode- maybe my brain is secretly counting my attempts at randomized clicking
very_evil_smiley.gif
); However, locating and articulating the difference I find very difficult and I notice my language is very placebo-y- as well (i.e. the green mode sounds a little softer/thicker particularly in the mids/upper mids, but then I have read it is the slow decay mode...)
confused_face.gif

The headphones I have been using are rather colored like the Zen 2.0 so maybe something flatter/monitoring oriented could change how that gets noticed?

Would be easier to compare if there weren't that silent gap between modes- could loop a section where I thought I heard a difference and switch at will- but that half-second long interruption makes it so much more difficult.

Archimago did some measurments of the fitler modes (though only using the single-ended output) if you want a visual: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2015/09/measurements-light-harmonic-geek-out-v2.html

Apr 28, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #963 of 2,040

Probably not worth being too bothered by- I think the difference in these filter modes are usually very subtle- Prior to the v2 had a DAP with an AKM dac which had four digital filter modes and I could not really tell the difference. Maybe those people who really study and have spent years using the same reference tracks (for some reason Hotel California seems to be the one) might get more out of the filter stuff.

Through V2, not always but with some songs, while switching the filter blindly can fairly consistently choose the same preferred mode (generally prefer the default blue mode- maybe my brain is secretly counting my attempts at randomized clicking
very_evil_smiley.gif
); However, locating and articulating the difference I find very difficult and I notice my language is very placebo-y- as well (i.e. the green mode sounds a little softer/thicker particularly in the mids/upper mids, but then I have read it is the slow decay mode...)
confused_face.gif

The headphones I have been using are rather colored like the Zen 2.0 so maybe something flatter/monitoring oriented could change how that gets noticed?

Would be easier to compare if there weren't that silent gap between modes- could loop a section where I thought I heard a difference and switch at will- but that half-second long interruption makes it so much more difficult.

Archimago did some measurments of the fitler modes (though only using the single-ended output) if you want a visual: http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2015/09/measurements-light-harmonic-geek-out-v2.html

Thanks for that.

I just saw the measurement and according to the OP the differences are minuscule. 

I was just perplexed by how people seem to vastly prefer the FRM green filter, yet the difference is so small which made me wonder if I'm missing out on something. I'm just going to ignore this for now and pretend like there's no other filter than the FRM lol. 

Apr 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #964 of 2,040
Yeah maybe even try using it exclusively for a week or two and then switching to blue, might make the differences more apparent.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #965 of 2,040
For me personally, the differences are readily apparent. The green mode sounds brighter to me, with more of a treble focus as compared to the blue mode. Can't wait to find out what the third mode sounds like on my V2+ Infinity when it gets here. 

May 5, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #969 of 2,040
hi there,

i am considering this product. i have x2 fidelio headphones with a detachable cable. the pins on both sides of the cable are same i.e. the standard ones that go into an ipod etc. it also comes with a adapter with a thicker pin. can someone explain if i would be able to make use of the balanced input on the geek out with my headphones. what additional cable will i need to buy to make use of it. and what is the cheapest price for such a cable. any link to such a cable would be most welcome. i can also post photos of my current headphone cable if it helps. 

i was thinking since my headphone cable is detachable maybe it might be easier for me to buy something to make use of the balanced input. i am total noob when it comes to this stuff. all i know is balanced output is supposed to sound better so i wish to know if i get this item would i be able to make use of it within a reasonable cost with my headphones. thank you. 

i found a pic of the cable, this is the cable and adapter that comes with my heapdhones. thank you.

http://img1.lesnumeriques.com/test/10/10109/fideliox2alll.jpg

May 5, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #970 of 2,040
I'm a backer for v2+ on indiegogo and still haven't receive it. I keep emailing support every month for the status. Guess what? They keep saying "your queue should be ready to ship next month"
Don't know what its performances are.
Makes me want to cancel it and go for chord mojo instead.

May 10, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #971 of 2,040
03/12/2015
First Geek Out V2+ just shipped out this afternoon. And it will go none-stop for the next few weeks. The front and back plates are redesigned as the previous updates. (Already printed package cover still remain the original image) 
I think you will like the new design better. 

17/12/2015
As usual, the first two weeks ship out speed won't be fast. And we collect all feedbacks in the early stage as quick as possible to ensure even better control on quality for early production. 
Good News is: Another bigger batch of front and back panel of Geek Out V2+ already shipped out to us and expect to receive on next Monday. And we prepared V2+, V2+ Infinity and even V2+ Signature Edition PCBs and others thing ready. Just want to make sure the front and back panels are as perfect as possible. 

05/02/2016
We have just finalized the GO V2+ chassis design and they are currently in production. Once production has been completed we will start the shipping process for all orders. We appreciate your continued patience as we work to deliver all units to backers. Current estimations in regard to your unit and your date of purchase as to where you are in our shipping queue is mid to end of March 2016.

03/04/2016
We have had problems with the revised chassis and had to go back to the drawing board to revise yet again. The plates weren't adhering to the 3D printed chassis as well as it should and we couldn't in good conscious send out product like that. So yes, we had to delay yet again, but that doesn't mean that we will never send out your unit. This should be the final revision hopefully!  Current estimation for shipment to start is W4 May 2016.

These are people claiming to have the technical nouse to make top of the line audio devices. They cite a list of previous high quality products

They have a new product with tens of thousands of units they need to ship, and choose 3D printing over injection moulding. Then they claim that - despite their history making boxes for their electronic devices - they are having difficulty affixing decorative plates to their board housing.

I've been conned, haven't I?

May 10, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #972 of 2,040
  I've been conned, haven't I?

idk but I just bought a used unit with the initial revised chasis and the plates are already coming unglued... so you're probably better off for all the delay
very_evil_smiley.gif

also have a v2 nonplus and the workmanship on that is hardly reassuring either

great sounding products, amateurish housing fabrication- in the future I hope they partner up with someone who can handle this aspect for them

May 10, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #974 of 2,040
The V2+ boards were ready last year but they decided to go bleeding edge for the case instead of just sticking to a tried and true box secured with screws.  Such a basic thing, instead they experiment on and invconvenience their customers. 

I don't think "bleeding edge" is the correct term. More like "cost saving short-cut." Using 3D printed chassis was just a way to save money over the original aluminum case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back