LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #1,726 of 2,040
Well a quick review, the Micro B ports on my unit need attention. I was only able to get about an hour of listening time before I figured it was better to shut down and get it back to LH Labs for repair. The good news is, the sound is phenominal. I was able to A/B several tracks with the Pulse X∞ and it might as well be the portable X∞. The background disappears, very organic textures and perhaps a tad more resolution. Most my listening was rock - The Doors, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, but Paul SImon's Diamonds on the Sole of Her Shoes (16/44.1) raised goose bumps - sound staging and layering is off the charts! Supertramp's Take the Long Way Home in DSD was pretty special too. So much music to hear, I need this baby fixed fast!

The new case feels very good in hand, much better switch/buttons. My issue with the finish is the USB ports are not seated well in the case - I'm curious what other's experiences are - I'm not posting pics until LHL has a chance to respond. And I'm not so sure this is Ferrari Red, more like MacLaren Orange... which sounds better IMO.

I stacked it with my daily driver of the month - the OnePlus X - they are a perfect compliment. I'm guessing Pixel owners will be very happy with this combo. Because of my Micro B port issue, any cable motions caused drops, I couldn't really test for EMI (which was a problem for me stacking with the GO V2+∞ - smartphone positioning was very important). I couldn't really detect anything once stacked, the new machined aluminum case surely helps in this regard. The notch in the case is perfect for a band to hold the phone in place. The notch only exposes the charging port which isn't needed during listening, so covering it up doesn't hurt. The notch feels good in hand - almost ergonomic. It would have been nice if some consideration had been made for stacking with a source/smartphone. More notches and some raised splines on the back plate to slightly separate the stack. I'm not a huge fan of bands on my smartphone, but most of my work with this device will take advantage of its portability. As with the GO V2+, heat is basically non-existant.

I'm very happy with the potential of this unit so long as it's up to the bumps and grinds of daily living and the Micro USB ports survive the test of time. It opens up a whole new world of portable listening for me that is very enjoyable and brings new life to old memories.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,727 of 2,040
Well a quick review, the Micro B ports on my unit need attention. I was only able to get about an hour of listening time before I figured it was better to shut down and get it back to LH Labs for repair. ....
The new case feels very good in hand, much better switch/buttons. My issue with the finish is the USB ports are not seated well in the case - I'm curious what other's experiences are - I'm not posting pics until LHL has a chance to respond.basically non-existant,,.

So you raised a ticket to them and waiting for a response?

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #1,728 of 2,040

So you raised a ticket to them and waiting for a response?

Yes. I've had pretty good luck so far with LH Labs.... speed isn't their best attribute. But this is the first hardware issue I've had. I got one of the original 20 Pulse X∞'s and had several firmware issues that caused it to freeze - but the latest firmware has been stable for at least 6 months. It does take time to get simple responses - I tried and eventually bought the short Micro B OTG cable - it took weeks.

However, the way this Upgrade was managed and executed in a very fast turnaround..... except for the Micro USB fitting - is encouraging. LH Labs appears to be taking action to improve. I don't think Micro USB fitting is a big technical challenge - so I'm hoping my problem is one off. I'm curious about other peoples experience with the 2Pro SE.

Update: I haven't heard back about my GO2Pro SE issue yet, but thought I would share my account has been updated at LH Labs and it has my Geek Wave X128++ & Station X awaiting fulfillment. They actually got all the perks and add-ons right. Get my S100 Amp and my wait with LH Labs is over! Let's say I remain optimistic something has changed for the good at LH Labs and my problem is a mere bump in the road....

Feb 11, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #1,729 of 2,040
Oh man...I think it's safe to say that regardless of the way how lh labs handle business and support, the v2+ inf. just sounds phenomenal. It is truly capable of supporting the andromeda. Although I must say that tip rolling should be the first thing to do to slightly match the sound in your favor, the v2+ inf. never sounded lacking despite what tips I used. Going from flc8s and andromeda made a significant difference, but even with the flc8s, I never felt anything lacking. Dead silent and not a single sign of typical sabre glare. The TCM filter to me sounds pretty bad. It sounds a bit artificial presented in a dull and cold manner. I found lack of coherence to be the problem. The SSM filter is pretty bad too, too much distortion across the board, haven't really spent much time with it. The FRM filter is what really brings out performance of v2+ inf. and should be the default filter. It just sounds natural. No sign of any muddiness or bass slouch while providing the mid-bass warmth. Clarity, resolution, coherence is excellent. Device doesn't get too warm unlike the mojo which got hot even in a cold room. Mojo definitely had some issue with usb implementation and the slightly airy sound can have a negative effect which the v2+ inf. does not possess. However, the unit just turns off during playback without any warning when the battery runs out because of the battery indicator is static. Also, no physical volume adjustment which is not a problem for me personally.

Hey Willowbrook...Love the slim firm factor...Wonder how it sounds compared to a mojo?

Also notice on LH labs site the link to the pic of the geekout seems dated...Goes nowhere.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:01 AM Post #1,730 of 2,040
Hey Willowbrook...Love the slim firm factor...Wonder how it sounds compared to a mojo?

Also notice on LH labs site the link to the pic of the geekout seems dated...Goes nowhere.

Hmm this is the current link...
https://lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-v2-plus-dac-family/
Unfortunately, I am unable to give you a detailed comparison because I had the v2+ with the flc8s for a few days while the mojo was already shipped to another head-fier. However, I was able to quickly tell the difference because I had the mojo and flc8s for a long time.

First thing I've notice is the difference in overall body. The impedance output for both are very different, so this may be the reason, but initial hearing with the v2+ did not have the same "darkness" that the mojo presented. I've always felt that mojo had too much emphasis in bass department which was sometimes good, but sometimes it was overly emphasized resulting in mids and treble being masked as well as hindering coherence. V2+ inf. had none of that.

Can't really say much about resolution, but it was pretty much the same. Can't confirm this 100% because I didn't have them side by side. However, Mojo had that special emphasis on upper-mids when using the flc8s with spiral dot tips, it was truly something. Vocals were just amazing. It's something you can't find on the v2+ inf. Although v2+ inf. did not present that and the upper-mids was thinner overall, to me it sounded more natural. The extra sense of air on the mojo did not work on all genres of music though.

The soundstage/openness was not night and day difference, but I would definitely give points to v2+ inf. as improvement in terms of sense of dimension that was apparent after listening to many of my favorite korean music from the 90s. It was easier to discern the position of voice and instruments.

Basically, it sounded more balanced and natural overall because the v2+ did not present any emphasis anywhere. Mojo did really well with flc8s, but the horrible usb implementation was a huge turn off. I would have probably just kept it if that wasn't the issue. The clicking would never stop while tethering my phone to my laptop. V2+ inf. has none of that. However, being able to control the volume physically on the mojo and the mojo is visually more pleasing which should be considered too. The v2+ inf. definitely lasts longer and it is much more cooler temperature wise. Less bulkier as well as lighter. Right now, there are some v2+ units out there for almost half the MSRP. It is definitely a steal.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #1,731 of 2,040
Well... Well.. seems LHL is planning to have a Group buy "campaign" for the GO2Pro on March 2nd, 01.09am CET
(hope I calculated the time right) .

At least that's my impression from the Countdown shown at the lower left corner on every side at their forum.

Edit: Given the upgrade price of $380 and the fact that you had to throw in your V2+ or V2+Infinity (which is another $649 max) it will be interesting for which price they will offer the GO2Pro.

Popcorn time ahead...

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #1,732 of 2,040
What's the latest view on GOv2+ reliability. Other than horror stories about LH Labs customer service, also worried by stories of units bombing out either out of the box or randomly within a few weeks/months.

Feb 18, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #1,733 of 2,040
Is there a way to buy the Geek Out V2+ in Europe?

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #1,736 of 2,040
The last one maybe at sonvideo.com

Big thanks! I bought one from this France shop, with DHL shipping to Germany 290 Euro.

Another option might be Robert Ross (Robertross.de).
He was mentioned as Distributor for Germany when the v2+ was reviewed in the "Ear in" magazin (01/2017).

Although his homepage doesn't look up to date.

Thanks for the hint, I just ordered one like mentioned above, the price is fine for a brand new unit if "regular" retail price from LH Labs will be USD 499.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #1,738 of 2,040
But it's clearly V2+ not V2 in product description, if it's not correct I will refund it instantly, that is not a problem. We will see in the next week how it goes. Btw. marketing/webmaster not always use the correct product pictures, this happens with Amazon too quite often, that they simply use wrong product pictures.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #1,739 of 2,040
But it's clearly V2+ not V2 in product description, if it's not correct I will refund it instantly, that is not a problem. We will see in the next week how it goes. Btw. marketing/webmaster not always use the correct product pictures, this happens with Amazon too quite often, that they simply use wrong product pictures.

Yep... Maybe you're right and they just haven't updated the pics.
If you'll get a chassis which looks like shown on the following link then of course you have made a great deal.
http://lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-v2-plus-dac-family/

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,740 of 2,040
i have a few dacs...dragonfly red, ifi micro idsd, chord mojo.
just wondering how the v2+ infinity compares quality/sq wise to the mojo and micro.

i'm looking to step up the game for sq in a dac...ideally looking for one that can work
as a tt, too fo cans/ies and powered speakers...also considering the..hugo2 even ...but $$$

one thing i do like about the v2+ infinity is it's slim, lightweight profile
vs the bulkier mojo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back