LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,391

Lonelyers

100+ Head-Fier
Geek Out v2 is now available for pre-order, at the "Geek Force pre-order price" of US$225:
http://lhlabs.com/415/
http://marketplace.lhlabs.com/products/geek-out-v2-usb-dac-headphone-amplifier

The specifications are as follows:

Frequency Response: 2 Hz - 55 kHz (-0.1 dB)
Maximum Power Output: User switchable. 1000 mW @ 16 ohms. 100mW @ 16 ohms 
Maximum Output Voltage: 4.0 Vrms in high gain setting.
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N): <0.01%
Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): >105 dB unweighted. > 108 A-weighted.
Input: USB 2.0 (Asyncronous)
Outputs: Dual 3.5mm analog stereo (one single-ended, one TRRS balanced)
Output Impedance: 0.47 ohms
Output Stage OpAmp: Texas Instruments TPA6120A2
Amplifier Output Bias: Class A
Digital to Analog Converter IC: ESS SABRE9018AQ2M
USB Controller: XMOS XS1-SU01A-FB96
PCM Sample Rates Supported: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz, 352.8 kHz, 384 kHz
DSD Sample Rates Supported: 2.8224 MHz, 3.072 MHz, 5.6448 MHz, 6.144 MHz
Bit Depth Supported: 1 bit, 16 bit, 24 bit, 32 bit
Chassis Construction: 3D Printed Ultra High Temp Resin
Width: 37.5mm
Length: 78mm
Height: 13mm
Weight: 34 grams
Geek Out V2 Infinity Specs:
Additional 450mW output option
Additional Digital Filter Mode (SSM)
-3dB THD+N Performance Boost
MSRP: $499

========================================================

I probably will not pre-order one because of three main reasons:

(1) From past experience, early backers usually do not get the better end of the deal.  Better offers will be available later (I am not talking about until the product becomes obsolete), so why not wait until a bit later even if I am interested?

(2) IF LH Labs have the time to develop the all-new Geek Out v2 (spent 18 months on this?), why not develop and deliver the products I ordered first.  The Geek Pulse I ordered won't be delivered until the end of the year (although I only ordered late last year); the Geek Wave will probably not be delivered this year (and even if delivered, I am concerned if it would be buggy, and whether the sound would be "Verb-like").

(3) Good luck to those pre-ordered - I am not confident that LH Labs would stick to the shipping schedule proposed.

Of course, perhaps LH Labs deserve praise for allowing backers to pledge only $1 (and shipping) at the pre-order stage, and settle the remaining fee before shipping.

So what do you guys thinks about this new Geek Out?

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 1,391
You bring up some valid points, and LH labs performance is definitely in question. From what they promise with the v2 I'm still interested in the product and for only $11. It's worth the risk at this point.. If LH labs doesn't ship, then we don't get charged so, IMO it's low risk. If they can pull it off then it should be one of the best ultra portable DAC/AMP's available.

Past performance of the company, customer support and ability to deliver is my biggest concern and if they can't deliver on this product, it will be interesting if they are still around a year later.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 1,391
I'm in for the pre-order mainly because it only cost $11 to get into batch 1, and also the GO450 I have sounds amazing.. If they required the full $225, I definitely would not have done it.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 1,391
To be fair, I believe that LH Labs would eventually be able to deliver the Geek Out v2, and it should be quite nice - since they would not screw up one of their most important products (unlike the Verb).  But since I got my GO IEM just a few months ago, I cannot get myself to purchase another Geek Out, even though this one has user switchable output.  If only they could offer an upgrade ...

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 1,391
Count me in as one of those people who are going to wait-out this "pre-order" period. After how they handled the first roll out of the GO, I'm wary about placing any more pre-orders with LH Labs.

Secondly, anyone noticed how high international shipment is now? I'm in Zone 6 and the ship cost is $47!!

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 1,391
To their credit, the site now says (on Batch 18) that you can "reserve" yours for only $1 and pay the rest at shipping time. 

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 1,391
as a user of v1, what is the best option to the geek out 1000 for $200 or less?

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 1,391
I'm pretty interested. I'd like to get 3 like minded people with me, so I can get that infinity upgrade. PM me!

Apr 19, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 1,391
I love my GO450 but would like to just have more power and the balanced out will work perfectly with my RE-600s, now I don't have to use that flimsy adapter anymore. I'm in on Batch 10. Hopefully past problems with loooong lead times will be fixed, fingers crossed.

Apr 20, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 1,391
  Count me in as one of those people who are going to wait-out this "pre-order" period. After how they handled the first roll out of the GO, I'm wary about placing any more pre-orders with LH Labs.

Secondly, anyone noticed how high international shipment is now? I'm in Zone 6 and the ship cost is $47!!

To be fair, When we shipped out Geek Out in the original campaign, we didn't have all the cool stuff that came with the Geek Out that is now being retailed. Also there are shipping features that are added under this shipping cost that will stop headaches for all the international orders.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 1,391

To be fair, When we shipped out Geek Out in the original campaign, we didn't have all the cool stuff that came with the Geek Out that is now being retailed. Also there are shipping features that are added under this shipping cost that will stop headaches for all the international orders.

Nice to see you all active in the forums. I'm actually really looking forward to the product. A balanced USB DAC (with an amp too) is a niche market. I just want some people to go along with me.

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 1,391

Why is shipping so expensive though?

Apr 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 1,391
The New shipping cost will include features like the ability to track the package in any country regardless of the post office being used. This was a highly requested feature being that we really couldn't help international customers once the package touched down into your country's customs. Also will help with pushing through customs, i am sure many of you had the issue where customs held your package for nearly three weeks before it got released.

Have you ever tried to call another country's custom office? that is a all day thing i would not like to re-visit.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 1,391
  The New shipping cost will include features like the ability to track the package in any country regardless of the post office being used. This was a highly requested feature being that we really couldn't help international customers once the package touched down into your country's customs. Also will help with pushing through customs, i am sure many of you had the issue where customs held your package for nearly three weeks before it got released.

Have you ever tried to call another country's custom office? that is a all day thing i would not like to re-visit.

Right on! That's awesome. No, I have not. Boo to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back