LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #691 of 1,391
Thanks to the helpful info.  So Amanzon has GOV2 with old ugly case.  The only place to get new V+ with newer case is from marketplace.lhlabs.com, and the delivery time is unknown yet?  And even I order GOV2 from LHlab and I need to wait for manufacturing and the case will still be the ugly one?

I hope the sound is worth such complexity.  :)

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #693 of 1,391
So I have had a bit of trouble with my GOV2 but LH labs has been very helpful and has been a pleasure to deal with. The glue sticking the two halves of the body started to slowly come undone, and the usb stick part pulled off. Very strange. I have sent it away to LH labs to be repaired, and should have it back soonish. Just a heads of for those with the GOV2, keep an eye on it. I hope this doesn't happen to others. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #694 of 1,391
  So I have had a bit of trouble with my GOV2 but LH labs has been very helpful and has been a pleasure to deal with. The glue sticking the two halves of the body started to slowly come undone, and the usb stick part pulled off. Very strange. I have sent it away to LH labs to be repaired, and should have it back soonish. Just a heads of for those with the GOV2, keep an eye on it. I hope this doesn't happen to others. 

Your patience is admirable. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #695 of 1,391
I picked up a GOV2 on Friday from Amazon, and I have to say, any shady business practices and build quality questions aside, this device is an absolute home run! I've been listening to it with my MDR-7506, and it's brought these headphones alive like I've never heard them before. I have a Pono, which is great, but never did much for me with paired with the 7506. With the GOV2, it's a whole other story.

I ordered a pair of the X2's from this Amazon sale, they'll arrive tomorrow, I cannot WAIT to hear how they sound with the GOV2. I've also got an order out for the 400S with balanced cables from SurfCable, hopefully they arrive by the end of this week, and then I can try this baby out in balanced mode and really put it through its paces. Of course I got an adapter so I could also use the 400S on my Pono!

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #696 of 1,391
  I picked up a GOV2 on Friday from Amazon, and I have to say, any shady business practices and build quality questions aside, this device is an absolute home run! I've been listening to it with my MDR-7506, and it's brought these headphones alive like I've never heard them before. I have a Pono, which is great, but never did much for me with paired with the 7506. With the GOV2, it's a whole other story.

I ordered a pair of the X2's from this Amazon sale, they'll arrive tomorrow, I cannot WAIT to hear how they sound with the GOV2. I've also got an order out for the 400S with balanced cables from SurfCable, hopefully they arrive by the end of this week, and then I can try this baby out in balanced mode and really put it through its paces. Of course I got an adapter so I could also use the 400S on my Pono!

Impressions with the X2 please!

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #698 of 1,391

Awesome! I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the gear! :-D

Dec 15, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #699 of 1,391
  Impressions with the X2 please!

Okay, the X2 arrived a little while ago, and I immediately plugged it into the GOV2. So far I've listened to tracks from U2, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, John Coltrane, and Judas Priest. The X2 is incredibly lively and exciting with the GO. I've got it on the 1,000mW setting and I'm finding that 80-85% out from my Macbook is the sweet spot, so a more powerful amp might bring out even more (although maybe not, I seem to recall hearing that the X2 doesn't scale as much as other sets), but as it is I'm incredibly happy with this pairing. If I go past 85%, it starts to get painful, so I don't think the GO is lacking in power in this case. This is an wonderfully musical combination.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #701 of 1,391
Dear Friends,

I am using active boxes with balanced 3-pin XLR-Inputs.

I am considering GOV2 as my DAC with this setup. 

The problem is I have no ground from the TRRS required for the PIN1 on the 3-Pin XLRs.

My DIY creativity suggests (never soldered anything in lifetime yet): 

1. TRRS-->4Pin XLR Female output. 
2. 4Pin XLR Female to 2*3 PIN XLR Mail  (Pin 2-3 for L+ L- and R+ R-)
3. DIY combination of the SE TRS output Sleeve (only Ground) to the balanced cable for the two PIN1 in the 3-PIN XLRs.

Then I would use two plugs: TRRS + TRS (with TRS only the sleeve * 2) on the one end of the cable and two 3-PIN male XLRs on the other end.

Could it function that way? Any drawbacks? 

THX. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #702 of 1,391
  Dear Friends,

I am using active boxes with balanced 3-pin XLR-Inputs.

I am considering GOV2 as my DAC with this setup. 

The problem is I have no ground from the TRRS required for the PIN1 on the 3-Pin XLRs.

My DIY creativity suggests (never soldered anything in lifetime yet): 

1. TRRS-->4Pin XLR Female output. 
2. 4Pin XLR Female to 2*3 PIN XLR Mail  (Pin 2-3 for L+ L- and R+ R-)
3. DIY combination of the SE TRS output Sleeve (only Ground) to the balanced cable for the two PIN1 in the 3-PIN XLRs.

Then I would use two plugs: TRRS + TRS (with TRS only the sleeve * 2) on the one end of the cable and two 3-PIN male XLRs on the other end.

Could it function that way? Any drawbacks? 

THX. 

I'd suggest just going to a custom cable maker and asking them to make you a 3.5mm TRRS male to dual 3-pin male XLR cable (and make sure you give them the proper pin-out configurations and double check that your XLR inputs to the speakers are male or female). 

If you've never soldered anything even your strong DIY spirit might lead you wiring incorrectly and then risking damaging your equipment. 

If you want to stay pretty inexpensive and don't mind waiting a few weeks you could try Luna Shops from China. I've had them make me a number of custom cables and adapters. You can email them at sales@lunashops.com. 

Cheers 

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #703 of 1,391
dyson audio on ebay can probably make you one to whatever length you need too.  you might want 3.5mm trrs male to dual 3pin xlr female 6 inch cable so you can use your already existing fancy xlr cables.. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #704 of 1,391
How is everyone hooking up their balanced headphones to this unit? I am trying to find an adapter like this: 3.5mm Trrs Balanced to 4-pin XLR Balanced Female Headphone Audio Adapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X2Q2SXG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I have these cables:

ZY HIFI Cable Upgrade Version HD580/HD600/HD650 balance line (4-pin XLR Male) OCC ZY-002 2.5M

http://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Version-balance-ZY-002-2-5M/dp/B00A2QJLY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1450305884&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser+balanced+cable

Does anyone have any ideas or information on where to find a reasonably priced adapter like that from the United States (not shipping from China) that I can use to plug into my balanced jack on the Geek Out V2?

Dec 16, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #705 of 1,391
How is everyone hooking up their balanced headphones to this unit? I am trying to find an adapter like this: 3.5mm Trrs Balanced to 4-pin XLR Balanced Female Headphone Audio Adapter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X2Q2SXG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I have these cables:

ZY HIFI Cable Upgrade Version HD580/HD600/HD650 balance line (4-pin XLR Male) OCC ZY-002 2.5M

http://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Version-balance-ZY-002-2-5M/dp/B00A2QJLY8/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1450305884&sr=1-2&keywords=sennheiser+balanced+cable

Does anyone have any ideas or information on where to find a reasonably priced adapter like that from the United States (not shipping from China) that I can use to plug into my balanced jack on the Geek Out V2?

Here's the one I have. Ships from China, but the US sources I've found are custom and take just as long. Cheers

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5003

Users who are viewing this thread

Back