LG V60 ThinQ smartphone
Dec 26, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #166 of 485
Nope. These features are needed if you have DSD or SACD materials that you would like to bitstream to your DAC. Or an have an app that can/will upsample to DSD (Onkyo HF).

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #168 of 485
Anyone tried DSD on UAPP? I loaded few DSF files, and there is cracking going on. They play fine with poweramp.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #170 of 485
I had a chance to compare MQA songs on V30, V50 and DFR using UAPP with bitperfect and MQA in app purchase. I think V30 vs DFR is a matter of taste. DFR bigger soundstage and more detailed, V30 warmer. I don't like the way how V30 sounds. But V50 is such a huge improvement! It's way much better than DFR. I love it. Now I'd like to compare V50 with lotoo paw, DFC and earmen sparrow, especially with balanced cable.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #171 of 485
Very well I must say. It was still on Android 9.

I disabled immediately updates on system and developer settings for not going to Android 10. Since on that update I will have DSD and MQA disfunction.

Using it with UAPP is a blast. And functiuons perfectly with my portable DAC (LH Go2Pro Infinity S-EX).

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #172 of 485
I had a chance to compare MQA songs on V30, V50 and DFR using UAPP with bitperfect and MQA in app purchase. I think V30 vs DFR is a matter of taste. DFR bigger soundstage and more detailed, V30 warmer. I don't like the way how V30 sounds. But V50 is such a huge improvement! It's way much better than DFR. I love it. Now I'd like to compare V50 with lotoo paw, DFC and earmen sparrow, especially with balanced cable.

You're happy! :stuck_out_tongue: I'm glad!

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #174 of 485
Very well I must say. It was still on Android 9.

I disabled immediately updates on system and developer settings for not going to Android 10. Since on that update I will have DSD and MQA disfunction.

Using it with UAPP is a blast. And functiuons perfectly with my portable DAC (LH Go2Pro Infinity S-EX).
MQA works on Android 10

Rockin the LG G8X. Best phone for an audiophile easily!
G8X does not support MQA

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #175 of 485
:thumbsup: yeah forgot its DSD/DoP only that was killed / down converted in Android 10.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #178 of 485
So its V30 V35 and V40, G7 and G8 then on problems with DSD/DoP...but V50 even has no DoP but upcoverts to 352.8Khz via UAPP.

G8X nas no MQA and V60 has BOTH no MQA and DSD.

OK :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #179 of 485
So its V30 V35 and V40, G7 and G8 then on problems with DSD/DoP...but V50 even has no DoP but upcoverts to 352.8Khz via UAPP.

G8X nas no MQA and V60 has BOTH no MQA and DSD.

OK :thumbsup:

A hell lot of miscommunication and misunderstanding is going on. Just forget about all LG models.

First think about all their QuadDAC models.
-> V30, V35, V40, V50, V50S, V60, G6, G7, G8, G8X

Second, is the phone currently running Android 9
-> YES. Then QuadDAC supports DSD/DoP

Third, is the phone currently running Android 10
-> YES. Then QuadDAC does not support DSD/DoP

-----

MQA support is irrespective of Android version, some model have others don't.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #180 of 485
Second, is the phone currently running Android 9
-> YES. Then QuadDAC supports DSD/DoP
One nuance to this, which I confess I don't fully understand...

I have a V60 here (running Android 10) that cannot play DSD. LG's own music app doesn't
even recognize DSD files, and UAPP can't play them reliably (some seem to playback ok, others are obviously
distorted). I also have a V35 (also running Android 10) that plays all my DSD files just fine via LG's own music player
and via UAPP. I've not yet looked at audioflinger output for either of these, but there's quite a different behavior with
the LG music app on the two phones, both running Android 10. (BTW, the DACs are different - the V60 uses the ES9219 chip.)

Since I'm here, some other thoughts on the V60 vs V35...

V60 Pros:
Better battery life.
A bit faster.
Ok, I'm struggling at this point. Help me out folks. The camera, I guess?

V60 Cons:
It's a ridiculously huge, heavy brick. Seriously, who the **** thought a phone this size was a good idea?
DSD. (It doesn't play at all via LG's music app - and not reliably via 3rd party apps, not even UAPP.)
Under-screen fingerprint sensor isn't reliable.
More than double the output impedance of the V35.

LGV60.png

LGV35.png

You can see comparative measurements here: https://www.hypethesonics.com/dapti-database/
Both phones look great compared to most other DAPs, but bear in mind the above is only
testing 44/16 PCM playback and that the output impedance of the V60 is higher than almost
every other single-ended device here.
It's a shame that progress has to involves one step forward and two steps backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back