LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • No

Votes: 66 58.4%

• Total voters
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #331 of 973
Not impressed with the V50 or G8. Love my G7 but the new LG phones have to come up with something to distinguish from Samsung and other phones otherwise, LG will fall behind even more.

There is no reason to get the V50 or G8, not when Sammie has the S10+ with 12gb RAM and 1tb of storage.

LG needs to market the hell out of its quad DAC and partner with a brand the masses know, like Bose (!). Then hire a celebrity like Taylor Swift and create a specialized phone with the same panache as an iPhone. Maybe I should contact LG...lol...
LG's ceo is on crack. No significant upgrades since the v20 imho.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #332 of 973
The V50 is going to cost a fortune both phone and plan...and it's even bigger in every dimension and weighs more than the already too big v40. You better reallyyyyy take advantage of that 5G modem.

The v40 is 158.8 x 75.7 x 7.6 @ 169g
The v50 is 159.2 x 76.1 x 8.3 @ 183g

The better bet is the G8 and its more compact V30-like form factor...but it's still surprisingly thick to handle that 3D camera & those fancy useless gestures!

G8: 151.9 x 71.8 x 8.4 @ 167g

Comparison...V30: 151.7 x 75.4 x 7.3 @ 158g

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #333 of 973
What a waste of an upgrade. I'm guessing the same dac too. IMHO, there hasn't been any significant upgrades since the v20.

I'd say the V30 was the last time the V Series had a significant upgrade. The V20's form factor, while loved by many people, is definitely not current gen unlike the V30.

I just wish LG would do a V36. Take the V30 shell and add an SD855 with 8 or 10Gb RAM with 256Gb of storage. That would be perfect for me and should prevent apps reloading into memory so much, which is the only minor issue I currently have with the V30.

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #334 of 973
I'd say the V30 was the last time the V Series had a significant upgrade. The V20's form factor, while loved by many people, is definitely not current gen unlike the V30.

I just wish LG would do a V36. Take the V30 shell and add an SD855 with 8 or 10Gb RAM with 256Gb of storage. That would be perfect for me and should prevent apps reloading into memory so much, which is the only minor issue I currently have with the V30.
Nah, v30 removed removable battery and rooting capabilities.

Your ideas about a v36 is good. My ideal phone is v30 with 12gb ram, removable battery, root capabilities, 4tb of ssd storage, 4 quad dacs(or supreme audio). I really hate the microsd card because they fail so much though but i still want one even with 4tb of storage. Basically a s10+ with good music. In fact, if samsung added a quad dac they would put lg out of business.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #335 of 973

Your ideas about a v36 is good. My ideal phone is v30 with 12gb ram, removable battery, root capabilities, 4tb of ssd storage, 4 quad dacs(or supreme audio). I really hate the microsd card because they fail so much though but i still want one even with 4tb of storage. Basically a s10+ with good music. In fact, if samsung added a quad dac they would put lg out of business.
Four quad dacs? Are you talking 4 or 8 dac chips here?

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #336 of 973

I've never been bothered about having a removable battery - that being said, I do have a battery case for my V30 which I use when I know I'm going to be out for much of the day.

I've never had the need to root a phone either (but I thought the V30 could be rooted?).

I have a 64Gb SD card that I've nearly filled with the finest metal. Never had a problem with it. I have a new 200Gb card sitting in a drawer, but am waiting on delivery of a Surface Go type PC that says it needs a 64Gb card. I will try the 200Gb one first as it might work.

Sorry for the random thoughts during the making of this post.

Feb 24, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #337 of 973
All V30 variants have root. Most (all except T-Mobile) have quite easy root, at that.

Also, compared to V20, there's OLED, IP68, MQA and (to my understanding) significantly better battery life. She's a lot prettier, too, at least to my eyes. Of course non-removable battery, yes.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #338 of 973
All V30 variants have root. Most (all except T-Mobile) have quite easy root, at that.

Also, compared to V20, there's OLED, IP68, MQA and (to my understanding) significantly better battery life. She's a lot prettier, too, at least to my eyes. Of course non-removable battery, yes.
Yes they have root byt it's more of a hack.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #339 of 973

Do or did you actually own a v20?

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #340 of 973
Yes they have root byt it's more of a hack.

If you bought a non-US Open Market model (such as European H930) root was official from LG (registering on LG Developer site to obtain unlock.bin file unique to your phone). But for all Open Market models, it is ridiculously simple, just using a generic unlock.bin instead of one from LG. For all other models (except T-Mobile) you convert to Open Market model first.

Other than OnePlus or Pixel, this is pretty easy root.

Do or did you actually own a v20?

Seen it, but never owned it. I was merely pointing out factual feature differences after some posts saying V30 contained nothing new and wasn't rootable. Anybody who preferred the V20, that is obviously fine with me.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #341 of 973
If you bought a non-US Open Market model (such as European H930) root was official from LG (registering on LG Developer site to obtain unlock.bin file unique to your phone). But for all Open Market models, it is ridiculously simple, just using a generic unlock.bin instead of one from LG. For all other models (except T-Mobile) you convert to Open Market model first.

Other than OnePlus or Pixel, this is pretty easy root.

Seen it, but never owned it. I was merely pointing out factual feature differences after some posts saying V30 contained nothing new and wasn't rootable. Anybody who preferred the V20, that is obviously fine with me.
Yes, those features look good on paper. I've owned about all v series devices and v10 to v20 was a sweet upgrade. I actually feel like my v20 is as good as it gets right now.

One of the major bottlenecks as it relates to performance is overheating. You can add all the power you want, but if the device overheats, it's over. The v50 cooling chamber should fix this, but no root, no go for me!!

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #342 of 973
A typical forum reaction to G8 and V50:

"Didn't change what I wanted so my older model is best. I'm right and LG are incompetent"

The G8 has OLED display, a bigger battery, 2 new ways of logging in, a screen based speaker, and a faster processor than the G7+. It also likely has the Meridian tuning, if that matters.

The V50 has 5G, a bigger battery and a second screen option.

They are significant feature upgrades. If they don't suit you, save your money.

I may get the 3 camera G8 as my G6 has limited battery life in external mode, and OLED is a good additional upgrade. The battery life on the G7 and V40 being similar to the G6 put me off investing.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:30 AM Post #343 of 973
A typical forum reaction to G8 and V50:

"Didn't change what I wanted so my older model is best. I'm right and LG are incompetent"

The G8 has OLED display, a bigger battery, 2 new ways of logging in, a screen based speaker, and a faster processor than the G7+. It also likely has the Meridian tuning, if that matters.

The V50 has 5G, a bigger battery and a second screen option.

They are significant feature upgrades. If they don't suit you, save your money.

I may get the 3 camera G8 as my G6 has limited battery life in external mode, and OLED is a good additional upgrade. The battery life on the G7 and V40 being similar to the G6 put me off investing.
So you didn't buy the G6 or V40 because they didn't change what you wanted...lol. Significant feature upgrades are only significant to the individual consumer.

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #344 of 973
So you didn't buy the G6 or V40 because they didn't change what you wanted...lol. Significant feature upgrades are only significant to the individual consumer.

I bought the G6, but I guess it is a typo.

No I haven't bought the G7 or V30, V35, V40 yet. I was waiting to see what the G8 had. If it ends up with the same battery I may get a V40.

But I didn't bitch and moan in the meantime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back