LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 57.5%

• Total voters
Jan 31, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #301 of 973
So the V50 IS being introduced and available that early. Wow. This is going to get very interesting if i see a final leak of a 6" screen (I'll still believe it when I see it if they actually shrink it), which means it conceivable could be even smaller than the V30 with the constantly shrinking bezel war. One other consideration is how heavy it is going to be if it has a 4000mAh battery as the V40 is already weights noticeably more than the wonderfully svelete V30, especially when outfitted with a decent case.

Other than size and weight, the V40 trumps the V30 in every other category possible (although there's something to the frill-free audio option section the older device has). Even so, I did pick up a V30S 128GB due to the onboard storage it has (and of course the size)--oh and it has that gorgeous Morrocan Blue color too!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #302 of 973
And further thinking, I can't see this happening so soon. What are they going to do to release a G8 and a V50 at the same time and compete against each other? Also if it's really come out that soon where are the always reliable EV- and On-leaks images? I guess we'll find out soon enough but I have to think they'll release the G8 in the spring & the V50 and fall like every other V series.

Feb 1, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #303 of 973
And further thinking, I can't see this happening so soon. What are they going to do to release a G8 and a V50 at the same time and compete against each other? Also if it's really come out that soon where are the always reliable EV- and On-leaks images? I guess we'll find out soon enough but I have to think they'll release the G8 in the spring & the V50 and fall like every other V series.

Not necessarily. LG needs to do something they are losing money on the smartphone business. And i think they recently got a new head of the smartphone devision. Maybe they have a new business plan.

The V series are considered the flagship and the G series a tier lower. If they release the V50 in marts/April they compete directly with Samsungs Galaxy series. The G series can't do that.

This is only speculation from my side i have no idea! But LG needs to do something if they want to stay in business. I bought my G7 6 months after release for 400 euro, that's about the same price the Galaxy S8 sells for and it's 2 years old!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #306 of 973
The V50 will be their only 5 G phone for now. They will release it soon as they need some market as Samsung is taking over.
Fantastic hardware but poor, very slow firmware updates.
Most people haven't realized instead of getting the lg v40, you can get a lg v35 which is basically the same phone for about $300 now.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #308 of 973
Can anyone tell me if the general consensus is the v4o has better audio than v30?
Mixed bag. The V40 is the only one of the recent releases that has a somewhat different tuning, as it was tuned by Meridian Audio. It has its strengths and weaknesses compared to the 30. Overall I'd describe it as a more detailed sound, but less aggressive. They're engaging in different ways.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #310 of 973
I think this guy knows what he is talking about and his research indicates that although the volume levels differ somewhat, the bottom line is that both phones have pretty much the exact same audio quality.

That's 100% false imo. I don't know how much time he has spent with both phones, using the same headphones, but they indeed have some different sonic traits to the discernable ears.

Feb 11, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #311 of 973
That's 100% false imo. I don't know how much time he has spent with both phones, using the same headphones, but they indeed have some different sonic traits to the discernable ears.

There's DEFINITELY a difference and after many many hours of testing between a V40 and a V30S, there's no question I prefer the V40 (this is using top-line Pioneer Master1 headphones). The V30 is maybe what would be described as more 'engaging' but that also means it can be a bit bright depending on your listening hardware and also a bit too 'forward' in the midrange. This has a tendency to get grating with some material after awhile, and there's not many DSP controls to offset this. Again, this could vary depending on your listening rig. However, in my testing, the V40 is much smoother (some would say mellower but still wonderfully full and dynamic) in my tests with no forward sound which makese it much easier to listen to all material for long periods. The V340 also has the arguably useful (but also cluttering) DTS-X and EQ modes added--none of those are on the V30 without root.

That said, due to increased size and weight (general bulk)--which have to outweigh audio on a phone--I prefer the V30 for a DD and I'm trying to make my S work as we speak. I figure it wouldn't be a difficult sell on here for a printine condition manufacture-unlocked fully root-capable 128GB version in that sought-after Morrocan blue if i decide to keep the V40. But the sound of that V40 is captivating...your just not going to find a cracked-screen version on ebay for $150 yet so this thread is so small in comparison....

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #312 of 973
Hi all,

I am new to this thread (just finished reading all of it) as I am trying to get as much due diligence as possible done in deciding whether or not the V40 is for me.

One of the things I really want to take advantage of is MQA through Tidal, and from what I have read so far I am excited by the possibilities.

Given the MQA decoder is built-in hardware, does anyone know if the audio signal that would be passed out of the USB-C port to an external DAC/amp is post MQA decoding? My guess would be yes, but I hate operating from guesses.

When I am at the gym I would like to just have the phone and IEMs on me, but when I am traveling or wanting to do more critical listening, I would like to have my portable DAC/amp for extra horsepower.

Given that MQA outputs at 88.2/96 when unpacked, would I be unreasonable in thinking my DAC/amp would lock onto that signal and process it as if it were any other 88.2/96 stream?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Jody

Feb 12, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #313 of 973
Hi all,

I am new to this thread (just finished reading all of it) as I am trying to get as much due diligence as possible done in deciding whether or not the V40 is for me.

One of the things I really want to take advantage of is MQA through Tidal, and from what I have read so far I am excited by the possibilities.

Given the MQA decoder is built-in hardware, does anyone know if the audio signal that would be passed out of the USB-C port to an external DAC/amp is post MQA decoding? My guess would be yes, but I hate operating from guesses.

When I am at the gym I would like to just have the phone and IEMs on me, but when I am traveling or wanting to do more critical listening, I would like to have my portable DAC/amp for extra horsepower.

Given that MQA outputs at 88.2/96 when unpacked, would I be unreasonable in thinking my DAC/amp would lock onto that signal and process it as if it were any other 88.2/96 stream?

Jody

I cannot answer your question for sure as I do not have an external DAC hooked up to an LG phone, but MQA at its fullest is part of the DAC, as it tuned in the DSP and analogue sections. In the PC and Mac versions of Tidal you can select if the decoding of MQA is in the PC or the DAC, but only the DAC version gets the "fully decoded" MQA. I guess if you selected "HiFi" instead of "Master" in Tidal it may send the 48kHz embedded MQA and your external DAC can do a full decode, and "Master" may send the unpacked 96kHz, but your DAC will not do the MQA temporal stuff. This is a guess, as to what MQA may say, not my support of MQA as a format. It is a sensitive subject here, and not recommended to start a debate on its merits here, unless you want the thread hikacked in a flame war.

How much horsepower do you want and what headphones are you using. Did you know anout the LG "High Impedance" mode? The V40 can output up to 2Vrms in this mode. There is a lot of discussion about this in the V20 and V30 threads.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #314 of 973
Hi all,

Jody
Mqa at the hardware level on lg v30 v40 does 4 unfolds so thats something like 172000 vs 88000. 88000 is at the software level because the software only does 1 unfold.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #315 of 973
I cannot answer your question for sure as I do not have an external DAC hooked up to an LG phone, but MQA at its fullest is part of the DAC, as it tuned in the DSP and analogue sections. In the PC and Mac versions of Tidal you can select if the decoding of MQA is in the PC or the DAC, but only the DAC version gets the "fully decoded" MQA. I guess if you selected "HiFi" instead of "Master" in Tidal it may send the 48kHz embedded MQA and your external DAC can do a full decode, and "Master" may send the unpacked 96kHz, but your DAC will not do the MQA temporal stuff. This is a guess, as to what MQA may say, not my support of MQA as a format. It is a sensitive subject here, and not recommended to start a debate on its merits here, unless you want the thread hikacked in a flame war.

How much horsepower do you want and what headphones are you using. Did you know anout the LG "High Impedance" mode? The V40 can output up to 2Vrms in this mode. There is a lot of discussion about this in the V20 and V30 threads.

Until a couple hours ago I had a pair of CIEMs that I built myself (my girlfriends dogs got a hold of them & completely annihilated them), so I was not sure if I could change the different modes or not. I also have modded T50rp's that I might use from time to time.

I guess horsepower was the wrong word to use. While the extra power is nice to have when needed, I am hoping to keep the sound signature that I have grown to love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back