LG V40 ThinQ

Switching from V30

• Yes

Votes: 48 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 65 57.5%

• Total voters
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #348 of 973
Yes, those features look good on paper. I've owned about all v series devices and v10 to v20 was a sweet upgrade. I actually feel like my v20 is as good as it gets right now.

One of the major bottlenecks as it relates to performance is overheating. You can add all the power you want, but if the device overheats, it's over. The v50 cooling chamber should fix this, but no root, no go for me!!

I read a lot, both here and on XDA, and I am aware that V20 was a classic, with a loyal following.

But there is nothing "on paper only" about the V30 feature upgrades I mentioned: OLED display (very power frugal, looks great - after the first few few production runs), IP68 (which nobody needs, until they do), MQA (full 4x unfolding in hardware, full quality offline Tidal playback without SRC), long battery life (I always go 2-3 days between charges), and a perfect size and form factor (subjective, of course). AND being the last of the series to have root prolongs its useful life. I'll keep my V30+ for at least another year, probably longer.

I think V30 may go down as the next classic in the series, with V30S being the best (6GB RAM instead of 4). Subsequent models (including V35) will likely be hard to root thanks to Qualcomm's tighter security in SD845 and 855. Unless you have an officially rootable model, of course.

That said, I agree with @jagwap that G8 looks to be next winner, with all the most important features, including an attractive form factor and now OLED display, and presumably at a lower price than V50. I doubt that 5G will be a must-have feature within the next two years, at least in USA.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #349 of 973
But I didn't bitch and moan in the meantime.
Nah, we want LG to succeed because competition to Sammie is a good thing. We just frustrated that LG will continue to lose market share

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #350 of 973
All V30 variants have root. Most (all except T-Mobile) have quite easy root, at that.

Also, compared to V20, there's OLED, IP68, MQA and (to my understanding) significantly better battery life. She's a lot prettier, too, at least to my eyes. Of course non-removable battery, yes.
So how do you root lgv35?

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #351 of 973
I read a lot, both here and on XDA, and I am aware that V20 was a classic, with a loyal following.

But there is nothing "on paper only" about the V30 feature upgrades I mentioned: OLED display (very power frugal, looks great - after the first few few production runs), IP68 (which nobody needs, until they do), MQA (full 4x unfolding in hardware, full quality offline Tidal playback without SRC), long battery life (I always go 2-3 days between charges), and a perfect size and form factor (subjective, of course). AND being the last of the series to have root prolongs its useful life. I'll keep my V30+ for at least another year, probably longer.

I think V30 may go down as the next classic in the series, with V30S being the best (6GB RAM instead of 4). Subsequent models (including V35) will likely be hard to root thanks to Qualcomm's tighter security in SD845 and 855. Unless you have an officially rootable model, of course.

That said, I agree with @jagwap that G8 looks to be next winner, with all the most important features, including an attractive form factor and now OLED display, and presumably at a lower price than V50. I doubt that 5G will be a must-have feature within the next two years, at least in USA.
I
Nah, we want LG to succeed because competition to Sammie is a good thing. We just frustrated that LG will continue to lose market share
We can make all the excuses for lg we want. I'm no samsung fan, but i must admit they seem to be the only phone company serious about innovation these days. When sammy has a phone update you know it's going to be some significant tech.

LG's ugrade is usually or recently been adding 1 or plus to the name.

example g7+1 = g8 or v30 + + = v30+

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #352 of 973
LG's ugrade is usually or recently been adding 1 or plus to the name.

example g7+1 = g8 or v30 + + = v30+
Ah, that made me laugh this morning.. thx for that.

:)

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #353 of 973
Subsequent models (including V35) will likely be hard to root thanks to Qualcomm's tighter security in SD845 and 855. Unless you have an officially rootable model, of course.

So how do you root lgv35?

As I wrote in my last post, you can't (at least not yet): All SD845 and newer will be hard to root. V35 isn't really a V30-descendant, more like G7 in a V30 shell. If you don't need root, I think it's the perfect model. If you want root, V30S is the best you can get, as it is still a V30, but with 6GB RAM.

Edit: Oh, and I don't believe there is an officially rootable V35, like there is of G7 (outside USA).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #354 of 973
I bought the G6, but I guess it is a typo.

No I haven't bought the G7 or V30, V35, V40 yet. I was waiting to see what the G8 had. If it ends up with the same battery I may get a V40.

But I didn't bitch and moan in the meantime.
Yeah, neither did I. I don't really think many have. Just stating opinions, much like yourself.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #355 of 973
The V50 could be a tough sell for AT&T, given that all their existing phones (including the Nokia below) already fully support 5G? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2110_6110_combo.1378204475.jpg

Feb 25, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #357 of 973
Y
I like the V50 if it's not too expensive. I would have liked 8 GB ram at least and 256 GB internal memory. The 4000 MHA battery is welcomed :)

Yep. S10+ has double the ram at 12gb and over 5 times the storage at a tb. If v50 is 6 to $700 it's good. One considerable upgrade is the cooling chamber though.

Feb 25, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #358 of 973
"... If v50 is 6 to $700 it's good."

You're kidding, right? A TOTL phone for $700? It's going to be $999...at least.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back