LG V30
Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #6,107 of 6,140
hi, i have an lg v30 and i wanted to know if the hiby r2 would be a good buy. I use senheiser cx 400bt. The reason for the purchase is that it is my main phone and I have to charge the battery twice a day. do you think lg v30 is superior today over a dap? Many Thanks

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #6,109 of 6,140
hi, i have an lg v30 and i wanted to know if the hiby r2 would be a good buy. I use senheiser cx 400bt. The reason for the purchase is that it is my main phone and I have to charge the battery twice a day. do you think lg v30 is superior today over a dap? Many Thanks
As waveSounds says get the cheapest device you like the look of with Bluetooth. If you are never using the HP socket on the V30 then there is no reason to keep it, so probably no point in changing the battery in the V30, but that would probably be your cheapest option.

I wouldn't get the R2, I own it but I find the screen a little too small, like most of the smaller daps, great in theory but in use its a different matter. The R2 can use HibyLink from your phone but what's the point if you use Bluetooth to your IEM.

I would just get another phone, your choice and connect which one it to your Sennheiser IEM and be happy.

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #6,110 of 6,140
As waveSounds says get the cheapest device you like the look of with Bluetooth. If you are never using the HP socket on the V30 then there is no reason to keep it, so probably no point in changing the battery in the V30, but that would probably be your cheapest option.

I wouldn't get the R2, I own it but I find the screen a little too small, like most of the smaller daps, great in theory but in use its a different matter. The R2 can use HibyLink from your phone but what's the point if you use Bluetooth to your IEM.

I would just get another phone, your choice and connect which one it to your Sennheiser IEM and be happy.
It is worth noting that if you own a pair of Sony WH-1000MX3/MX4s then these take advantage of the LG V30's LDAC codec which gives you very close to CD quality streaming over bluetooth. It is still not as good as the quality you will get out of a wired connection but it is the best sound you will get over a bluetooth connection especially with Tidal HiFi plus and Qobuz through UAPP. Well, for now any way, who knows what future bluetooth connectivity will bring.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #6,111 of 6,140
Hello,
Since I needed a new phone I did some research and ended up with the LG V30 for the added bonus of playing music.
WOW.
This is easily the best sounding portable player I've ever owned.
However, I now have a few questions I hope can be answered.

First is; since I bought a new card should I format it with my PC so I can format it according to included pic I attached?
The poster said doing it that way made a big difference.
Or should I format the card in the V30?
Does it even matter?

Second is; while I chose the Neutron Player, I sure miss the bass knob from the Poweramp demo I tried.
Does anyone know the frequency and Q setting that bass adjuster used.
I found it added such a nice low end without muddying up the music.
(I still don't regret going for the Neutron Player since it sounds so good with the right file.)

But more importantly, since there are so many Neutron settings with some going right over my head, I'm wondering if anyone with the V30 can recommend the best settings for the phone.
Or at least what shouldn't be on to get the most out of the V30

Attachments

• 1 SD card Proper Formatting.PNG
    1 SD card Proper Formatting.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #6,112 of 6,140
Hello,
Since I needed a new phone I did some research and ended up with the LG V30 for the added bonus of playing music.
WOW.

First is; since I bought a new card should I format it with my PC so I can format it according to included pic I attached?
Does it even matter?

Second is; while I chose the Neutron Player, I sure miss the bass knob from the Poweramp demo I tried.
(I still don't regret going for the Neutron Player since it sounds so good with the right file.)

But more importantly, since there are so many Neutron settings with some going right over my head, I'm wondering if anyone with the V30 can recommend the best settings for the phone.
Btw, sony ex8000st is phenomenal with this phone imho.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #6,113 of 6,140
Hello,
WOW.

Does it even matter?

I've had UAPP, Hiby, Stellio, but Neutron seems to sound best for me and presents itself well. HOWEVER: you're correct in your confusion about settings - the current Neutron is bewildering. My only fundamental recommendation, and best performance for me (so far), is keeping as much of any xtra digital "effects" as possible out of the stream - especially EQ, unless you have needy 'phones. The only option I subscribe to is oversampling. Spend some time on the Neutron user boards for good info, and you can email them with specific questions you can't find answers to.

Sep 2, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #6,116 of 6,140
Sony Xperia 5 mk. II is a much better sounding phone than lg v30
I think it comes down to the headphones and your preferences whether one or the other is better suited.
P/p-ratio out of the equation.

Neutral-> darker, more demanding = LG V30
Neutral -> brighter = Sony Xperia

Imo, ymmv . . . jada jada :wink:

None of both sound worst. :thumbsup:

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #6,118 of 6,140
Hello,
WOW.

Does it even matter?

Don't know where you're at on this, Koukol, but "welcome to the club". From an SQ perspective, it won't matter where you formatted your card: you'll know if there's an incompatibility if it simply won't retrieve or play the selection. I've FAT32'd all my storage forever with no issues, but I think NTFS or exFAT should work unless you somehow have extremely enormous folders (others may have experience). I can't vouch for Neutron's suitability, but I think it is the most transparent player I've heard and it's very .wav friendly, which is my entire library. I have some hi-rez FLACs that also seem to play perfectly. You'll drown in Neutron settings confusion, but the fewer you choose the less chance the player can futz with the original digits. The ONLY setting I opt for is oversampling, which to my ear seems to treat decoding High Frequencies best. You can fiddle around with EQs if it makes you cans sound better - listening is the final test.

Oct 19, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #6,119 of 6,140
Anybody try a Sony zx507?

Worthy upgrade from the V30?
I'll be on the lookout for a response to this question. I contend, as in the above posts about the Xperia, that sound won't be much (any?) different if you utilize an external DAC. However, if you use the audio output jack I don't think you'll find a cell phone that matches the V Series - especially with B&O tuning (V20 & V30).

Oct 19, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #6,120 of 6,140
Anybody try a Sony zx507?

Worthy upgrade from the V30?
No. But I went from an LG G8 with audioquest's dragonfly (Cobalt/Red) to a Sony NW-WM1AM2 and I'm never going back. I imagine the ZX507 to be a significant upgrade. There have been some leaks of a ZX707 about to be announced alongside an A306.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back