LG V30
Aug 7, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #5,341 of 6,140
I see. It was greyed out for me because I had bit perfect mode on. After turning off bit perfect, I can use the slider now. But, it terms out that having bit perfect mode on is the same as maxing the slider. Btw, should I have bit perfect mode on or off?
On! And you’re right of course, it was actually greyed out for me too, which means you’re at max indeed.

Aug 10, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #5,342 of 6,140
Any news regarding the Re-sampling issue? I have investigated a bit but most of the posts are old. Is there a fix on android Pie or by rooting?

I'm using a Sennheiser IE8 and the noise is extremely noticeable on Tidal and Spotify. I have ordered the Beyerdynamic Xelento, anyone that has them can confirm if the re-sampling artefacts are noticeable on the Xelentos?

Aug 10, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #5,343 of 6,140
No news on the 44/16 upsampling front, I'm afraid. You still have to use UAPP or Neutron if you want to play it bit-perfect. PowerAmp can do it too, but only if you set it up to re-sample everything to 44.1 Khz (including HiRes).

Everything HiRes (including anything 24-bit, which also includes most MQAs) will play perfectly from all (or most) apps. It's only 44/16 that's affected.

Pie (as seen on V40) only made things worse, not better. So I lost the bet with @csglinux. He worked with the UAPP dev to solve the Pie problems, so at least we should have a workable solution with UAPP on Pie.

I am personally staying on Oreo for now, even after Pie comes to my T-Mobile V30 (H932). So far it's only been released for the European H930, but probably close on the other V30 models.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #5,344 of 6,140
Initially my phone had Android Pie, but I have downgraded and rooted it. What's strange is I thought 24bit wasn't affected, but yesterday I signed up for Qobuz, thinking that since it has a greater library of 24bit albums, I could store it offline without the re-sampling issue, but unfortunately it suffers from re-sampling artefacts.

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #5,345 of 6,140
If this hasn't been posted yet.

There are two free/cheap hacks to trigger the higher gain mode for all headphones.

1) Unplug the headphones from the cable. Plug the cable in the phone. Plug your headphones back to the cable.

2) Use any shory extension cord and plug it first. THEN plug your headphones to that cable.

This will make the phone think the headphone impedance is infinite and turn on the high gain mode, as if you plugged in Beyers T1 or something.

Aug 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #5,346 of 6,140
If this hasn't been posted yet.

There are two free/cheap hacks to trigger the higher gain mode for all headphones.

1) Unplug the headphones from the cable. Plug the cable in the phone. Plug your headphones back to the cable.

2) Use any shory extension cord and plug it first. THEN plug your headphones to that cable.

This will make the phone think the headphone impedance is infinite and turn on the high gain mode, as if you plugged in Beyers T1 or something.

Thank you for sharing that.

What this will do is activate Aux Mode, which does indeed have higher AVC volume setting, but is actually the same amplification mode as Normal Mode (1 Vrms for both).

But this will NOT activate High Impedance Mode, which is a different amplification mode with twice as much output power (2 Vrms).

This mode (HIM) kicks in when 50-600ohms headphones are plugged in. OR it can be triggered by plugging an impedance adapter into the extension cable BEFORE plugging it into the phone (just make sure to unplug the imp adapter from the chain before you start listening). HIM can also be forced on a rooted V30 by editing the mixer_paths_tavil.xml file.

Forcing HIM can be useful on headphones of <50ohms impedance that still need much power (such as planar magnetics). But forcing it on low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs, which don't need it, will only waste battery. It will NOT objectively improve sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #5,347 of 6,140
Not sure exactly what you mean? Maybe HF Player by Onkyo?

HF Player is great. Only thing I don't like is no auto-rotate of screen when I want to see the full title of a track.
I use my V30 with AKG N5005. Amazing sound!

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #5,348 of 6,140
Thank you for sharing that.

What this will do is activate Aux Mode, which does indeed have higher AVC volume setting, but is actually the same amplification mode as Normal Mode (1 Vrms for both).

But this will NOT activate High Impedance Mode, which is a different amplification mode with twice as much output power (2 Vrms).

This mode (HIM) kicks in when 50-600ohms headphones are plugged in. OR it can be triggered by plugging an impedance adapter into the extension cable BEFORE plugging it into the phone (just make sure to unplug the imp adapter from the chain before you start listening). HIM can also be forced on a rooted V30 by editing the mixer_paths_tavil.xml file.

Forcing HIM can be useful on headphones of <50ohms impedance that still need much power (such as planar magnetics). But forcing it on low impedance, high sensitivity IEMs, which don't need it, will only waste battery. It will NOT objectively improve sound quality.

Thanks for the in depth explanation.
Can you recommend an impedance adapter that can be ordered in Europe?

Cheers!

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #5,351 of 6,140
I just wanted to share a recurring issue I have when listening to music over bluetooth with this phone. Quite often when I start listening to a playlist of some sort, the first track starts off on normal volume, but when the next song starts, volume drops to half and stays there.
I'm using Deezer and a previously (by me) recommended equalizer app called ReEQ. The EQ might the problem I think. Listening over bluetooth without EQ usually works fine. However, I do recall that sometimes from my V30 a song over bluetooth starts with a huge spike in volume after which it lowers to normal volume again. I really like my eq-app, since I have a few headphones that have a soundsignature that is not 1 on 1 to my liking but can produce amazing audio when eq'ed, so I hope anyone know anything! Similar experience, is it deezer, eq, can I find something in adroid's settings?
Otherwise, considering the age of the phone, I might root it and put Viper4Android on my V30...

Aug 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #5,354 of 6,140
Not yet, but I will have later today when I open the parcel. :)

Fantastic! I am currently thinking about it, but I want to know how the V30 does with P1 without an AMP. So far, many people seem to indicate that their DAPs weren't powerful enough to drive it. I really hope that you can test that out. My guess is that you will need to trigger high impedance mode. I do have a Fiio E11 AMP, but it's a budget AMP and I would rather not bring it with me if it's not needed.

Hoping for your imminent results :)

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #5,355 of 6,140
@cenix

Tin Hifi P1 with V30 early impressions.

Please remember I've only just unboxed this IEM a couple of hours ago. This is not specific to the V30 but Initially I was thinking what is all the fuss about with any of the sources I tried it with, this thing, to be blunt, sounds rubbish.

I've played around with the fit, its certainly not been an instant success for me, silicone and foam tips too. For me fit is 3/10 until I tried it with the wires down and then over the ear, that has made it 8/10 and helped with the seal and isolation no end. This has improved the bass too, the sound is no longer thin and anaemic, I swapped the cable L-R R-L to get the channels in the correct ears.

I have no way to trigger high impedance mode, sorry, but with a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm SE adaptor I can get Aux mode.

How is the paring with the V30 though? Its not too bad actually, in Aux mode at 42 volume its loud enough for me, normal mode is quieter and needs 54 or so on the volume.

I actually do start to appreciate the sound everybody is talking about even from a source like the V30. Its not the best IEM I have in my collection by any means but for the money, its OK.

As I burn in to it who knows I may even start to really appreciate it for what it is my first cheap-ish planar IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back