LG V30
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:46 AM Post #5,135 of 6,140
Sorry if this was ask before. Does anyone that owns the V30 PLUS knows if it supports 512GB Micro?

According to official specs, it can take up to 2TB. I have a 400GB micro-SD card in my V30+ and it works fine. Bear in mind one important thing: it's a dual-SIM phone (well, my V30+ is) and if you use a micro-SD card then you cannot use a second SIM card. It's one or the other only.

I found some specs here:

https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-US998U-Unlocked-v30-plus

If you scroll all the way down in the Tech Specs tab to the Power and Performance section, it states:

• Supports microSD card

Up to 2 TB (cards sold separately)

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #5,136 of 6,140
According to official specs, it can take up to 2TB. I have a 400GB micro-SD card in my V30+ and it works fine. Bear in mind one important thing: it's a dual-SIM phone (well, my V30+ is) and if you use a micro-SD card then you cannot use a second SIM card. It's one or the other only.

I found some specs here:

https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-US998U-Unlocked-v30-plus

If you scroll all the way down in the Tech Specs tab to the Power and Performance section, it states:

• Supports microSD card

Up to 2 TB (cards sold separately)

I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that when it comes to devices released, say, after 2015, the "limit" is really not a real thing. The hard cap is given by the kind of SD card you can byu (atm, 400gb can easily be found, 1tb should soon be released on the mass market), not by software limits. My current phone was advertised "up to 256gb" but it works just fine with the 400Gb one I've got.

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #5,137 of 6,140
@archy121 The iPhone 7 has particularly poor audio. The XS may have better audio components than the 7. My iPad Pro is a lot better than my iPhone. However, I was looking for a DAP to enable better audio for travel purposes and long walks. I stumbled upon this thread and bought a V30+.

Tomorrow I’ll try to locate the album you’ve mentioned and do a further listening comparison. I presume the album you referenced is available on Tidal HiFi?

You find your iPad Pro better because its output it is not capped by the UE regulations as it sells without bundled earbuds. Thus it delivers 1 Vrms versus the 0'5 Vrms of the capped iPhone. If you had a non EU iPhone it would deliver 1 Vrms as well.

There is absolutely no objective basis to fault iPhone 7 Lightning audio. It sounds and measures great. Better than the Quad Dac btw.Less output impedance, less crosstalk and less IMD+Noise.

Why do you think on your European iPhone the volume HUD displays colored squares from the 11th onwards when earphones are plugged? Non EU iPhones show no colored volume squares.

Why do you think there is en EU volume limit removal switch on your European iPhone? That switch is absent on non EU iPhones.

Do you know that this switch just disables the first volume limit of the two volume limits set by European CENELEC regulations? There are 2 volume limits: 85 dbs (that user can disable) and 100 dbs (that user can not disable). Those SPL are measured with bundled earphones. No bundled earphones renders useless the regulations and no volume limits are applied. That's why EU iPads are not capped.

Get a non European iPhone 7 and compare it with your iPad Pro. You will not tell them apart. You do know because iPad doubles the volume of your CENELEC capped iPhone.

The lack of atention to details leads to way off mark appraisals.

FWIW i have listened to G7 with Shure SE535/SE425 and Apple Lightning-3.5mm still manages to sound more liquid and refined.

That said the G7 sounds nicely. Unfortunately LG automated gain management algorithm fails to consider earphone sensivity and music program intrinsic volume which allows for a nasty loophole: with low impedance earphones the amp just delivers 0,5Vrms and if their sensivity is low and music dynamic range is wide you can have volume problems which is very nasty knowing that the Quad Dac codec can deliver up to 2Vrms with high impedance cans.

LG must:

a) hone the algorithm

b) allow user to bypass it and manually set gain to avoid that nasty scenario i just described.

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #5,139 of 6,140
You find your iPad Pro better because its output it is not capped by the UE regulations as it sells without bundled earbuds. Thus it delivers 1 Vrms versus the 0'5 Vrms of the capped iPhone. If you had a non EU iPhone it would deliver 1 Vrms as well.

There is absolutely no objective basis to fault iPhone 7 Lightning audio. It sounds and measures great. Better than the Quad Dac btw.Less output impedance, less crosstalk and less IMD+Noise.

Why do you think on your European iPhone the volume HUD displays colored squares from the 11th onwards when earphones are plugged? Non EU iPhones show no colored volume squares.

Why do you think there is en EU volume limit removal switch on your European iPhone? That switch is absent on non EU iPhones.

Do you know that this switch just disables the first volume limit of the two volume limits set by European CENELEC regulations? There are 2 volume limits: 85 dbs (that user can disable) and 100 dbs (that user can not disable). Those SPL are measured with bundled earphones. No bundled earphones renders useless the regulations and no volume limits are applied. That's why EU iPads are not capped.

Get a non European iPhone 7 and compare it with your iPad Pro. You will not tell them apart. You do know because iPad doubles the volume of your CENELEC capped iPhone.

The lack of atention to details leads to way off mark appraisals.

FWIW i have listened to G7 with Shure SE535/SE425 and Apple Lightning-3.5mm still manages to sound more liquid and refined.

That said the G7 sounds nicely. Unfortunately LG automated gain management algorithm fails to consider earphone sensivity and music program intrinsic volume which allows for a nasty loophole: with low impedance earphones the amp just delivers 0,5Vrms and if their sensivity is low and music dynamic range is wide you can have volume problems which is very nasty knowing that the Quad Dac codec can deliver up to 2Vrms with high impedance cans.

LG must:

a) hone the algorithm

b) allow user to bypass it and manually set gain to avoid that nasty scenario i just described.

Hi @elfary, It's been a while - I hope you and the family are all doing well? Cool to see you on this thread :)

I agree with you about the effects of voltage variations into the dongle from the different devices, e.g., iPhone (EU or otherwise) and iPad. It's hard to get any specs out of Apple - you usually just have to trust Jony Ive that it's all magical - but the dongle has been measured by others and, other than output impedance, it doesn't stack up all that well against the earlier (internal) iPhone DAC/amps (use Google translate if needed...):

https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/iPh...apter-liefert-schlechteren-Sound-3325932.html

IMHO, Apple simply threw in the towel here. They clearly don't give a rat's arse about audio and they think their customers are such suckers they'll all just go out and buy airpods and dongles:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/24/dongle-top-seller-apple-best-buy/

I agree it would be cool if LG allowed us to control the output gain manually (without needing root). I have a feeling we won't see that anytime soon - probably because the vast majority of users aren't going to need that feature. For those that do, the other modes can be forced if you don't mind carrying an extra high-impedance adapter/dongle with you. Apple fans should be all over that :wink: Or you can at least get to aux mode just by temporarily disconnecting the left bud before plugging in your headphones. Interesting idea about "honing" the algorithm. I've no idea how you'd do that. How could you test the sensitivity of an attached pair of headphones without some audio feedback loop?

Apr 4, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #5,140 of 6,140

I'm not so sure that's the whole story. My iPad Pro is the previous gen one and has a proper headphone socket in addition to a Lightning jack, so I don't need to use Apple's poor DAC in the headphone adapter (which is limited to 48kHz, I believe). I've got no issue with the output levels from my iPhone 7. The sound quality of my iPhone 7, when compared to my iPad Pro (via its headphone jack) is simply not as good when I'm playing songs via Tidal.

I have a feeling that the Apple headphone adapter is part of the problem.

In fact, I'd say that the iPad Pro sound quality is in between the iPhone 7 and the LG V30, judged solely by my ears.

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #5,141 of 6,140
Sorry guys.

G7 outperforms V30.

LG V30

b93ce2f02c3155405156d002ebc383e1.png

LG G7 ThinQ

919d7740eb991c76dea80e1e92a1f73e.jpg

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #5,142 of 6,140
Bonus track: iPhone Lightning adapter chart hooked to an Korean iPhone (Volume capped as EU ones) and to US iPhone (Non capped).

Apple Lightning dongle off a South Korean iPhone (Capped as European iPhones)

Korean.png

Apple Lightning dongle off a United States iPhone (non capped)

US.png

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #5,143 of 6,140
Sorry guys.

G7 outperforms V30.

LG V30

LG G7 ThinQ

What was the source for these numbers?

The cynic in me has a hard time believing the same DAC and the same amp is going to give vastly different performances in different devices. In fact, most of the differences quoted are so small they could more likely be attributed to unit variance. But if I'm wrong, somehow I will learn to live with 0.005 fewer Vrms :wink:

Apr 5, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #5,144 of 6,140
What was the source for these numbers?

The cynic in me has a hard time believing the same DAC and the same amp is going to give vastly different performances in different devices. In fact, most of the differences quoted are so small they could more likely be attributed to unit variance. But if I'm wrong, somehow I will learn to live with 0.005 fewer Vrms :wink:

https://www.0db.co.kr/xe/REVIEW_0DB/category/183

Based in my long experience on the objective side of audio i would say this guy knows very very well his game.

Thus i deem those measurements as fine and dandy. In fact they match what i hear quite nicely.

To me it's like this:

G8>Apple Lightning dongle>V30

But we are talking flawless performers here thus differences are tiny...but they are there.

I guess that Meridian found a way to tune and isolate the ESS codec better than B&O as G7 THD, IMD are way lower than in the V30.

Ironically, for less than 50 ohm earphones a non European/Korean seems the best option as it delivers 1Vrms w/o the need of doing tricks as happens with G8/V30 aux mode.

I hope that LG one day will allow user to override the automated gain setup.

2 Vrms for the line out would be awesome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back