LG V30
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #5,101 of 6,140
I've no direct experience with the S8, but I can tell you the US V30 measures ruler flat. (If you search back through this thread you'll find the FR curves.) I'd be surprised if the S8 doesn't also measure totally flat. I'm not doubting you hear a difference, but the overwhelming reason for those differences has to come from the combination of headphone and output impedance of the S8. There's nothing wrong with that if that's the sound you prefer, but there is no aspect of the S8 audio that's technically superior to that of the V30.

Technically, the s8 is likely inferior, yes. But it is more rhythmic and enjoyable to me.

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #5,103 of 6,140
Mar 27, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #5,104 of 6,140
Technically, the s8 is likely inferior, yes. But it is more rhythmic and enjoyable to me.
Try lowpass EQ some highs off on UAPP, you will see that it sounds "more rhythmic", especially on bassy tracks. Very basics for me, I've done so much filtering and know what you're talking about.

S8 simply has inferior frequency response extension at top. Find an optimal low pass (or damping high-shelf) corner frequency for your needs and LG delivery is superior.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #5,105 of 6,140
Has anybody tried Westone um pro 30 (57 ohm). This IEM has a boost in mid bass area, wondering how they sound together.

I do own the um pro 30 and a V30 but oddly I don't remember ever trying them together. I can try when I get home in about 10 hours. Quite looking forward to trying the combo actually. I do like the um pro 30 with every other pairing I've tried it with, most recently wirelessly with the Shure BT2, that pairing brings out the best from both IMHO.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #5,106 of 6,140
V30 has great detail, clarity, but is a little bit rhythmically challenged imo.

I’ve noticed this in comparison between the HTC 10 and LG V30. Even though the V30 has better soundstage and overall sound quality the HTC 10 had more attack with bass and drums on tracks. I’ve noticed that my FiiO X7 and Sony Walkman DAPs have good attack with bass and drums too.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #5,107 of 6,140
Not sure 100% how to describe it. But my Galaxy S6 was quite a bit more intuitive and rhythmic. Listening to R&B, Hip-Hop, and Electronic music sounded better on my S6. In general they are more immersive and musical, but the V30 is more accurate and clean and versatile. Certain albums sound worse on the V30, certain sound better. Not that there's anything wrong with the V30's rhythm, but other phones do it better IMO.

Glad you found a combination that works well for you!

I've no direct experience with the S8, but I can tell you the US V30 measures ruler flat. (If you search back through this thread you'll find the FR curves.) I'd be surprised if the S8 doesn't also measure totally flat. I'm not doubting you hear a difference, but the overwhelming reason for those differences has to come from the combination of headphone and output impedance of the S8. There's nothing wrong with that if that's the sound you prefer, but there is no aspect of the S8 audio that's technically superior to that of the V30.

Agreed...that said, his hearing is different from yours; is different from mine, etc. That's what makes a personal audio system...personal. :wink:

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #5,108 of 6,140
Interesting comments about the sound from the V30. With my IEMs (AKG N40 and BGVP DM6), the V30 does sound very clear and accurate - some would say 'sterile'. With my on-ear beyerdynamic T51i headphones, I get some warmth from the sound. However, I prefer wearing the IEMs as I only use the V30 as a portable DAP when I'm out and about.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #5,109 of 6,140

That also may depend on the REGION of the S8 (Samsung in general). The international version has their own Exynos chip and a quality Cirrus DAC, but the US buyers (as usual) get screwed over and have to settle with the Snapdragon built-in mediocre DAC.

I wouldn't doubt an international S8 would compare, but there's no way a US S8 can match the LG V30.

Mar 27, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #5,110 of 6,140
Not sure 100% how to describe it. But my Galaxy S6 was quite a bit more intuitive and rhythmic. Listening to R&B, Hip-Hop, and Electronic music sounded better on my S6. In general they are more immersive and musical, but the V30 is more accurate and clean and versatile. Certain albums sound worse on the V30, certain sound better. Not that there's anything wrong with the V30's rhythm, but other phones do it better IMO.

So, listening to electronic music with little or no actual rhythm or musicality, the S6 sounds better?

But what about real music?

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #5,111 of 6,140
Any idea why UAPP shows the MQA logo sometimes as white and sometimes as black while streaming Tidal masters?

Seems that systematically, albums with white logo sound strangely disconnected but albums with black logo are awesome, far better than standard PCM stream!

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #5,112 of 6,140
I do own the um pro 30 and a V30 but oddly I don't remember ever trying them together. I can try when I get home in about 10 hours. Quite looking forward to trying the combo actu
Did you have chance to try? Thank you.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #5,114 of 6,140
I have the G7 coming today (should not be any difference with the V30), the only IEM I can use with it today are q-jays (2 BA reference), don't think it can handle with my 6 BA Earsonics.
In parallel I would try something with the impedance higher than 50 ohm to see if there is a difference in high gain. Not many IEM have that high level of the impedance. UM pro 30 is one of them.

Mar 28, 2019 at 4:07 AM Post #5,115 of 6,140
Did you have chance to try? Thank you.

I've listened to the pro 30 with the V30 now for around one hour, you asked about a possible boost in the mid bass area, I would say the sound is very tip and tip fit dependant.

I hear a considerable change in overall sound balance between two types of foam tips I'm using, both are foam. The Westone foam tips have less bass and sound thinner as a result, mids and highs are all present though. The Shure Olive tips sound better to me, loads of Bass, great midrange and cymbals sound right to me too, perfect.

And all this from a phone, it does make me again rethink why do I need anything else other than the V30, but then I wouldn't be on Head-Fi would I. :)

BTW the um pro 30 does not trigger high impedance mode, but IMHO it doesn't really need it, its a very sensitive IEM, volume level 38 is more than enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back