LG V30
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #4,741 of 6,140
Jan 16, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #4,742 of 6,140
By the way, I received the LGv30 for free as an upgrade phone, which avoided the potential mess of Ebay. I'm only paying a pound a month more, plus I get 15GB data instead of the 1GB my old phone was on!

Very happy with the LGv30 - it provides a sharper, crisper, cleaner sound that my Fiio X3ii, which is flatter but warmer. The LG doesn't quite have the necessary power I would want for on-the-go with my DT 770 250Ohm, so I've taken the plunge on purchased a used set of DT 1770s as they are a bit easier to drive (I'm told that is to do with the greater sensitivity of headphone in contrast with the 770s). The LG provides plenty to drive my 1990s, you see.

I'm not a fan of EQing, but the pre-amp setting in Neutron almost provides enough for the 770s so for many that may be enough. But big city, lots of noises, etc., my old set up with X3ii+Cayin C5 sounded better, more immersive, even though the sound is clearly flatter and less detailed.

The LGv30 could almost be compared to my Mojo - though it lacks the spaciousness, clarity and separation of the Mojo, as well as those delightful and fun low end rumbles.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #4,743 of 6,140
Does anyone know why adverts occasionally pop up after unlocking the phone? Is that due to one of the apps? How to turn them off?

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #4,744 of 6,140
I’ve had the V30 for over a week now and the sound quality is very impressive for a phone. The sound quality almost like plugging phones into my hi-fi and I am impressed.

However, I find that to get good volume where I can feel the music I have to turn the volume slider up between 65 and 75 which is the maximum the volume goes. I have tried disconnecting the cable from my headphones and plugging the cable into the V30 then connecting the cable back into my headphone and the sound is a bit louder but still not as loud as I’d like it to be.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this is the dreaded EU volume cap because my V30 is the UK model with the B&O branding and earphones. Is there any way to disable the EU volume cap without rooting? I don’t want to root my V30 yet because it will void the warranty. Please advise.

I'm not sure it'll make any difference. Many people on here don't seem to run their headphones very loud, so when they run theirs at 50% when listening to Val Doonican, I push mine up high to listen to Death Angel.

I have an Asian bought H930DS with B&O branding and need to bump up the volume to get to 'metal' levels, so I don't think its an EU thing.

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #4,748 of 6,140
The LG doesn't quite have the necessary power I would want for on-the-go with my DT 770 250Ohm, so I've taken the plunge on purchased a used set of DT 1770s as they are a bit easier to drive (I'm told that is to do with the greater sensitivity of headphone in contrast with the 770s). The LG provides plenty to drive my 1990s, you see.

Are the 770s that much harder to drive than the 250 Ohm 990 Pros? My 990s are loud enough when at almost full volume.

Jan 16, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #4,750 of 6,140
Are the 770s that much harder to drive than the 250 Ohm 990 Pros? My 990s are loud enough when at almost full volume.

They are harder to drive, yes. Difficult to measure, but I'd say that what needs full 75 volume with the 770s would need 65 on the 1990s. That perhaps gives a rough idea?

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #4,752 of 6,140
I flew to Houston Istanbul, about 11 hours and my V30s battery on high impedance mode was perfectly fine.
Once you have it on airplane mode it lasts forever.

I have an Anker external battery handy at all times.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #4,753 of 6,140
I flew Houston Istanbul, about 11 hours and my V30s battery on high impedance mode was perfectly fine.
Once you have in airplane mode it last forever.

I have an Anker external battery handy at all times.

Good to hear that the battery has a decent life, especially in airplane mode. You've also just reminded me of a power bank that I purchased recently that I've never used apart from testing one of my DACs out with, which I need to start using!

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #4,754 of 6,140
The LGv30 could almost be compared to my Mojo - though it lacks the spaciousness, clarity and separation of the Mojo, as well as those delightful and fun low end rumbles.

That's some big praise indeed! Good to hear.
I actually find the V30 even better than a Mojo in clarity. It's not tuned for rumble sadly I agree, and the Mojo is really good at detailed dives, fine dynamics and positioning, but the V30 sure gives it a run for its money to say the least - I returned a Mojo I'd ordered as I preferred the output from the V30, without consideration of price.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #4,755 of 6,140
I’ve had the V30 for over a week now and the sound quality is very impressive for a phone. The sound quality almost like plugging phones into my hi-fi and I am impressed.

However, I find that to get good volume where I can feel the music I have to turn the volume slider up between 65 and 75 which is the maximum the volume goes. I have tried disconnecting the cable from my headphones and plugging the cable into the V30 then connecting the cable back into my headphone and the sound is a bit louder but still not as loud as I’d like it to be.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this is the dreaded EU volume cap because my V30 is the UK model with the B&O branding and earphones. Is there any way to disable the EU volume cap without rooting? I don’t want to root my V30 yet because it will void the warranty. Please advise.

If you want even louder volume than Aux mode, I suggest getting an impedance adapter off ebay (dunu is the brand, I think) to plug in before your headphones.

I personally did that with my V30/G7 and it drives any headphone under 300ohms plenty loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back