LG V30
Sep 6, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #3,932 of 6,140
Yeah I never really got that part, seems counterintuitive.
But I gather Aux is like a line-out - more like a preamp. With an amp down the line to provide the power necessary for speakers. While HIM is for driving headphones that need a lot of juice, with no additional/external amping.

I guess it makes sense when you explain it that way. THUS the name "External device connected". lol

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #3,933 of 6,140
Hmm, i'm not sure if the aux output is the right thing for the heaphones. The auto detection is not good at all. My Nightowls are working ok, more volume would be nice but not a must have. The LCD2 and the Aeon Flow Open are detected as low gain too. What are the users using? AUX mode?

I was using an adapter to get Aux in the past when I had less than 50 ohm headphones. But since buying my Beyer DT 1770 Pro 'phones, which are 250 ohms, my V30 automatically switches to HIM each time. It's extremely rare that I ever need to go past 90% to get the best volume, so to me the V30's amp is just perfect. :L3000:

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #3,935 of 6,140
I guess it makes sense when you explain it that way. THUS the name "External device connected". lol
Exactly! It was explained better somewhere earlier in this thread. Probably by @csglinux

Sep 6, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #3,937 of 6,140
Exactly! It was explained better somewhere earlier in this thread. Probably by @csglinux

lol

But still, LG is assuming your external device is very strong here. What if it isn't? lol Only thing then that makes any sense is that they're afraid it will be TOO much power and cause damage to your headphones, your ears, etc. lol

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #3,938 of 6,140
So by all this talk of tricking the v30 into aud or him mode... Is it safe to say this phone works best with low impendence or moderate to higher impendence hps/iems ? I'm also using a variety of on ears, and overhears with under 50 ohm and I'm finding the volume not really sufficient enough to drive in low impendence mode.. Its still listenable , so kinda hard to complain. I hate having the do the aux or him trick , but I get it...kinda

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #3,939 of 6,140
So by all this talk of tricking the v30 into aud or him mode... Is it safe to say this phone works best with low impendence or moderate to higher impendence hps/iems ? I'm also using a variety of on ears, and overhears with under 50 ohm and I'm finding the volume not really sufficient enough to drive in low impendence mode.. Its still listenable , so kinda hard to complain. I hate having the do the aux or him trick , but I get it...kinda
Low-impedance, high-sensitivity gear works better with the V30 in the sense that there’s no hassle or trickery involved, yes. But it’s just a matter of convenience, as the V30 does very well with headphones that are harder to drive with just a short cable extension, and even with quite demanding gear in high impedance mode. Only planars, even in HIM, are well documented to prove a big hurdle for the V30. With no trickery some don’t trigger the higher power output, which they need, but even HIM doesn't provide the necessary headroom judging from what's been written before.

Generally speaking high-impedance gear seems to work fine with the V30, but with really low-sensitivity gear it’s hit and miss.

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #3,940 of 6,140
If your headphones are low impedance and have a removable cable, it's not too difficult to plug the cable into your phone, and then the headphones. I don't consider this trickery or a hassle.
As for what it will drive, I've tried the Hifiman HE400S (planar) - one of the easiest to drive, and it didn't satisfy. For me personally, I think the 150 ohm HD 58X is about as difficult to drive as I'd want to go. It's a good pairing. I feel like I can drive them to their full potential

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #3,941 of 6,140
There's also another way to get HIM...............use a high impedance adapter, like this 75-ohm one they have on eBay. Then when it comes, plug your headphone cable (detached from headphone) into it, plug the adapter (with cable inserted into it) into phone, then plug the other end of headphone cable into headphone. DONE!
Have to be a bit careful here. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you're suggesting leaving the high-impedance adapter in place, you're taking one step forward and one steps back again in terms of the power you're delivering to the headphones. Plus, depending on your headphone's native impedance, you could be significantly changing their sound signature. That's only usually a good thing if you don't like your existing headphones :wink:

Sep 6, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #3,942 of 6,140
from my experience in high impediance it will drive the 400s with no problem - it has trouble with the 400i and 4XX. for sennheiser it can drive the hd600/650 anything lower than that is not worth listening to anyway :) it pushes my hifiman edition x very well.

Sep 6, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #3,943 of 6,140
Have to be a bit careful here. Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you're suggesting leaving the high-impedance adapter in place, you're taking one step forward and one steps back again in terms of the power you're delivering to the headphones. Plus, depending on your headphone's native impedance, you could be significantly changing their sound signature. That's only usually a good thing if you don't like your existing headphones :wink:

I've talked to several other people on here who have said they've done this with NO issues at all, so I'm not worried about it. lol

Wait, how would changing the amp mode change its sounds signature?? lol As far as I know, and from what others on here have told me, it only affects the volume, not the sound quality.

I use my own custom EQs (Beyer DT 1770 one being the main EQ) anyway which seem to work on pretty much every headphone I've tried in recent times.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #3,944 of 6,140
I've talked to several other people on here who have said they've done this with NO issues at all, so I'm not worried about it. lol

Wait, how would changing the amp mode change its sounds signature?? lol As far as I know, and from what others on here have told me, it only affects the volume, not the sound quality.

I use my own custom EQs (Beyer DT 1770 one being the main EQ) anyway which seem to work on pretty much every headphone I've tried in recent times.
Changing the amp mode isn't a problem. But adding an inline resistance can change the frequency response of your headphones. The usual way of tricking the V30 into HIM is to plug in an adapter with a high-impedance headphone connected to get the V30 into HIM, then unplugging the high-impedance HP (with the adapter still plugged into the phone) and then plugging in your regular headphones into the adapter.

Even if you're happy with (or don't notice) the change in FR as a result of your high-impedance adapter, the method I described above will still give you more output power than simply leaving a high-impedance adapter connected in series.

What did you mean about your custom EQs? The Beyer DT 1770 is a pair of headphones, no? You're applying a custom EQ to them via the V30? How are you doing that and still engaging the quad DAC?

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #3,945 of 6,140
Changing the amp mode isn't a problem. But adding an inline resistance can change the frequency response of your headphones. The usual way of tricking the V30 into HIM is to plug in an adapter with a high-impedance headphone connected to get the V30 into HIM, then unplugging the high-impedance HP (with the adapter still plugged into the phone) and then plugging in your regular headphones into the adapter.

Even if you're happy with (or don't notice) the change in FR as a result of your high-impedance adapter, the method I described above will still give you more output power than simply leaving a high-impedance adapter connected in series.

What did you mean about your custom EQs? The Beyer DT 1770 is a pair of headphones, no? You're applying a custom EQ to them via the V30? How are you doing that and still engaging the quad DAC?

I've heard of removing the HIM adapter from the equation too, so you might be right there. Didn't know it mattered. But I just don't know if it would be an audible difference or not.

Well if I ever go back to using <50 ohm headphones again, then I'll consider this method where the HIM adapter is removed from the equation.

I'm applying it via the Poweramp app. I have the custom EQs saved there. The Quad DAC is enabled anytime I plug in my headphones into the V30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back