LG V30
Jul 30, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #3,706 of 6,140
My Denon D7200 knocks my Fostex Th-X00 Purpleheart to the kerb in the bass department

But then those 900s come in and wham... lol.

It is a never ending upgrade cycle. Do I want to drop 7 bills on some D7200s.... Ill think on it.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #3,708 of 6,140
Major thanks to everyone who helped n unlocking AUX mode when plugging in headphones. I couldn't seem to get it. Now its so easy.

Just have one jack (L or R) unplugged from the one of the ear cups, then plug the main headphone cable into the device you will be listening from, then finally plug in that cable you left out of the L or R earcup.
Now it's in AUX mode. DL the app LG HiFi Status if you want to see for sure if you're in AUX mode.

Thanks again.

I am now wondering if anyone could answer another question I've been bothered by for a while, regarding MQA.

For months I've been A/B'ing Tidal (Master level quality selected in settings) and Amazon Music Unlimited (Best quality selected in settings) and Amazon is clearly better. Ive dido A/B with many songs. Spotify is my favorite for UI and discovery, but I will often switch to Amazon once I've found something I want to listen to.

I didn't expect to have to do this though when using Tidal. I suspect I may not actually be triggering MQA on my Tidal app, using V30+ and he400i headphones in AUX mode.

I say this because with Amazon there is very clearly more happening on the track and I'm closer, or sitting in the middle of, everything that's happening.

On Tidal, it is unmistakably further away and fewer sounds/ information can be heard.

One thing I notice is that while doing A/B of Tidal and Amazon I constantly need to increase the volume on Tidal to match what I just had on Amazon.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #3,710 of 6,140
Ok but would turning on high impedance mode suddey trigger MQA resulting in what everyone I've talked to claims that Tidal MQA has the best sound quality bar-none?

I'm in AUX mode now, will try to get to high impedance, but Amazon Music app clearly has loads more information on the track than Tidal. I'm not sure if I've triggered Tidal's MQA capability or not.

I don't think another smartphone aside from v30 would even allow Master quality to be selected. On my v30 I have it selected but it is considerably lower sound quality that my Amazon Music app, and considerably better than my Spotify.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #3,711 of 6,140
I am an amazon price member but never tried their music service - I will have to give it a try. I never thought to try anything that what I already use - uapp in bitperfect mode with 24 bit or dsd music sounds great to me haven't thought to look at anything else

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #3,712 of 6,140
Ok but would turning on high impedance mode suddey trigger MQA resulting in what everyone I've talked to claims that Tidal MQA has the best sound quality bar-none?

I'm in AUX mode now, will try to get to high impedance, but Amazon Music app clearly has loads more information on the track than Tidal. I'm not sure if I've triggered Tidal's MQA capability or not.

I don't think another smartphone aside from v30 would even allow Master quality to be selected. On my v30 I have it selected but it is considerably lower sound quality that my Amazon Music app, and considerably better than my Spotify.

MQA on Tidal is considered a MASTER recording and not all albums are. The ones that are will be indicated with an "M" identifying them as being a Master version (MQA).
High Impedance has nothing to do with MQA, they are 2 seperate things.
The best audio would be the combination of both high impedance and MQA recording audio file.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #3,714 of 6,140
Hey Marmite or V, does UAPP let you SAVE your custom EQs and transfer them if you get a new phone?? Also, what about the settings???

I don't know. I don't use EQ with my Beyers. Having a quick look at it, I don't think so.

If it's something you really need, I woyld contact the developer and he'd probably help you out.

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #3,716 of 6,140
So what is your budget? You have some sub-$100 headphones on that list, but then the Shures are like $449! lol Let me know and I can suggest a few off my running list.

Screw it, Ill think ill pick up the Focal Elex as well..... The reviews are universally good.

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #3,717 of 6,140
Screw it, Ill think ill pick up the Focal Elex as well..... The reviews are universally good.

Ok cool.

I'm really a huge fan of Beyer right now since buying the DT 1770 Pro (currently $100 off on Amazon, $499). If that is too high, the DT 770 80-ohm Limited Edition Black is pretty tight too. It comes with velour ear pads, but I don't like their sound vs. leatherette or genuine leather, so I'd get replacement pads like the Dekoni sheepskin leather ones I got for my DT 1770 Pro (which also fit the 770). If really great detail is something you want again at some point, I'd suggest that. Even Lenny Kravitz approves of them! lol (He wears them and the AKG 240 in the video for this great song. On drums is when he wears the Beyers.)

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #3,718 of 6,140
Yeah but Samsung phone screens and/or cameras tend to have an issue with color accuracy (see pair of pics right below giraffes.......... Berlin skyline), so I wouldn't call them perfect either. lol

Nice on the Beyer! I just last week bought the DT-1770 Pro. Absolutely LOVE it! Best headphones I've ever owned yet!!

Well the Pioneer is only an amp, so I wouldn't compare it to the other two really. But still, that's awesome man! It never ceases to amaze me when ppl say the V30 sounds better than their straight amp/DAC or DAP device.

I'm gonna go with the 990 sounding better with the V30 than the 6XX. But we'll see. lol

Is the v30 able to drive the Beyer DT 1770 properly? Its 250 ohm right?

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #3,720 of 6,140
I have both the ER4S and ER4XR. The V30 drives them with ease. A bit of care is needed with the XR though, because at 45Ω, the high impedance mode gets triggered maybe 1 out of 10 times and these being absurdly deep insertion IEMs, I almost had my eardrums pulverised a couple of times due to my own remiss. It's also the sort of situation that makes the 'LG Hi-Fi Status' app indispensable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back