LG V30
Jul 14, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #3,616 of 6,140
I have the V30 for a couple of months now, bought it based on the (largely) positive notes in this thread (thx guys!). Before I had Mojo but V30 is so much more convenient on the go. I mainly use CA Andromeda, which sounds very nice with V30 to my ears (no hissing). Compared to Mojo I find the V30 somewhat leaner, a tad more detailed and having a wider sound stage. Mojo on the other hand has more depth in the sound stage and sounds a bit warmer/organic in my experience. For me the difference between Mojo and V30 was rather small (and no clear winner), so I sold the Mojo. I love having one device that does it all.

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #3,617 of 6,140
My golden standard as far as neutral IEMs was SE210. They just were junk mechanically, the cord got destroyed at the junction to the buds within like half a year of daily use. I got em twice replaced within the 2 year warranty, all thanks to the awesome local Shure support!

SE215 and SE315 that I've had after have both been greatly inferior. SE215 was as far from tolerable as possible. No midrange since bass was way way too dominant. In addition, the clearly audible strong shrilling resonance in lower treble got annoying and I could in no way live without equalizing it away by ear. As for SE315, they're clearly more neutral and lack that annoying bass dominance. Mids however are slightly too dominant, it's okay for vocalist sounds but in comparison to SE210, the 315s lack the neutral extension of mids on lower treble, highlighting even more the midrange dominant sound signature.

I've been playing around the UAPP morphit equalisations to the Shure IEM goals. The most expensive SE846 is far far away from neutral, even with the white filter. It's just a one dimensional bass monster. SE535 sounds very relaxed and neutral through mids and lower treble, maybe a tad pointed towards dark from neutral. I like the soft but okayish extended highs. Thou, the darkish signature still clearly distinguishes it from perfectly neutral.

SE425, out of all Shures sounds by far the most neutral of the bunch. High mids and low treble are stronger and more forward in comparison to 535, getting 425 rid of the darkish signature of 535. Thou highs feel less extended, and due to that fact the low treble seems to almost be too forward. I'd bet the total signature would sound less forward and softer if 425 just had more extension in upper highs.

Out of the Shures, 425 seems the closest to the neutrality of 210. It's so long since I had 210, but from what I do remember, the low treble was equally as revealing amd forward (like neutral should) if even more, but highs I think had more extension, giving overall more neutral and softer feel to highs on 210 than 425. But regardless, SE425 seems the new neutrality king so I think I'm now very close to ordering LG from my operator and later on switching to SE425, so that I could live without equalizing, and get full MQA hires signal out of V30!

Edit: V30 ordered! I'll probably get it on Wednesday or Thursday. A thorough listening comparison to HTC 10 will follow probably in a couple weeks, with/without morphit eq and obviously on/off comparison of full MQA decoding on V30. Cannot wait to test MQA!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #3,619 of 6,140
Going back a few pages I see many complaints about the V30 Camera. Has anyone tried the Gcam mod? Google's camera software is why they have one of, if not the best smartphone cameras on the market.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #3,620 of 6,140
I have the V30 for a couple of months now, bought it based on the (largely) positive notes in this thread (thx guys!). Before I had Mojo but V30 is so much more convenient on the go. I mainly use CA Andromeda, which sounds very nice with V30 to my ears (no hissing). Compared to Mojo I find the V30 somewhat leaner, a tad more detailed and having a wider sound stage. Mojo on the other hand has more depth in the sound stage and sounds a bit warmer/organic in my experience. For me the difference between Mojo and V30 was rather small (and no clear winner), so I sold the Mojo. I love having one device that does it all.

Hey Flater,

Couldn't agree more! That's cool. Yeah I had the $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC and when compared to the V20, I felt it matched it. So I sold off the HA-2, like you with the Mojo. It definitely is easier and nicer to just carry around ONE device! lol

What did you mean by "leaner" btw? Just wondering.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #3,621 of 6,140
I was told the V30 Quad DAC is better than the G7 ThinQ Quad DAC. I thought they are the same... Any help, please? Thanks!

Who told you that RuiPP?? Links?

I was made to understand they were the same. Only difference I know of between V20 & V30 on DAC is nothing except V30's has the additional filters.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #3,623 of 6,140
Hey Flater,

Couldn't agree more! That's cool. Yeah I had the $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC and when compared to the V20, I felt it matched it. So I sold off the HA-2, like you with the Mojo. It definitely is easier and nicer to just carry around ONE device! lol

What did you mean by "leaner" btw? Just wondering.
Yeah, I felt like carrying a little brick with me all the time. Really nice to have just a phone, especially when walking around town. I feel the V30 is a bit leaner in the sense of souding less thick/full than Mojo, like there is more space between the notes. Perhaps the wider soundstage of V30 also contributes to this perception.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,624 of 6,140
Going back a few pages I see many complaints about the V30 Camera. Has anyone tried the Gcam mod? Google's camera software is why they have one of, if not the best smartphone cameras on the market.
I'm using the variant by cstark. There's no question it takes superior pictures to the stock cam app. Better HDR implementation and better detail resolving capability. The only drawback is it's been separated into two apps, one for the main lens and another for the wide-angled lens. The creator is working on a version that bundles the two together. Hopefully that'll be done and made available soon.

Gcam mod? As in you have to root in order to use it??
You don't need to root your phone to use this. It's basically the Pixel 2 cam app that's been ported out and made to work with other Android phones. Search for 'Google Camera' on the xda forum, and you should see a list of them.

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #3,625 of 6,140
Yeah, I felt like carrying a little brick with me all the time. Really nice to have just a phone, especially when walking around town. I feel the V30 is a bit leaner in the sense of souding less thick/full than Mojo, like there is more space between the notes. Perhaps the wider soundstage of V30 also contributes to this perception.

Absolutely!! I've found that having a wider soundstage makes for greater instrument separation as well, which trust me.....THAT'S what you want! The trick is to not have the soundstage be TOO wide and/or have the tuning be too unengaging/distant/cold.

That was the issue I had with the Shure SRH1540 'phones I just auditioned a week ago. Awesome comfy headphones, but although all the details were there, it felt like you were listening to the music from "just outside the room" instead of "in the room", if you know what I mean. That is why between them, the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2, and the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro, I went with the 1770.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #3,626 of 6,140
I'm using the variant by cstark. There's no question it takes superior pictures to the stock cam app. Better HDR implementation and better detail resolving capability. The only drawback is it's been separated into two apps, one for the main lens and another for the wide-angled lens. The creator is working on a version that bundles the two together. Hopefully that'll be done and made available soon.

You don't need to root your phone to use this. It's basically the Pixel 2 cam app that's been ported out and made to work with other Android phones. Search for 'Google Camera' on the xda forum, and you should see a list of them.

What about the official Google Camera app? Anyone compare it to the V30's stock camera app yet??

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #3,628 of 6,140
What about the official Google Camera app? Anyone compare it to the V30's stock camera app yet??

I think the difference is you don't get the behind the scenes framework like with GCam. Meaning it's using LG's framework. Meaning with the official Google Camera it won't have HDR+, which is the gem of google's camera software.

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #3,629 of 6,140

Gcam mod? As in you have to root in order to use it??

I think the difference is you don't get the behind the scenes framework like with GCam. Meaning it's using LG's framework. Meaning with the official Google Camera it won't have HDR+, which is the gem of google's camera software.

Camera? The V30 has a camera??? We are audiophiles here, not photographers!

:laughing:

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #3,630 of 6,140

Users who are viewing this thread

Back