LG V30
Jul 4, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,541 of 6,140
Also what's everyone using for Audio player on the V30 .
I've used Poweramp paid version for a few years.
If there is something better I'm up to trying it
I was using Neutron for a while but find the notes hit harder in PlayerPro. I actually go back to Neutron for more musicality but it's probably just a placebo from all the settings I've fine tuned.

When I test both players, they are pretty much identical with my audio collection (mostly FLAC), so I stick with PlayerPro as the interface is so much more refined and easier to navigate.

I also have the PowerAudio Pro, Musixmatch and of course the stock LG music player for reference.

All three don't sound as good as the aforementioned but I keep Musixmatch for the lyrics plugin and PowerAudio because I paid for it ages ago.

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #3,543 of 6,140
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3,544 of 6,140
Not surprised although I still prefer a dedicated DAP over a phone. And here's food for thought if you haven't seen it already.

I'm surprised! lol

Wow, that's insane Signal! I'm gonna have to bookmark your post! lol

Well, it depends though. I compared my old $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC vs the V20, and after extensive comparisons, I felt the V20 MATCHED the output quality of the Oppo, so I then sold off the Oppo after almost 2 years of use. So anyone who says the V20 or esp V30 isn't "audiophile grade" needs to go back to school! lol

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #3,545 of 6,140
Also what's everyone using for Audio player on the V30 .
I've used Poweramp paid version for a few years.
If there is something better I'm up to trying it

I use Poweramp. Have for years. Love it!!

Since I downsample all my CD-Quality and Hi-Res tracks to 256-512 kbps, the advantages of like USB Audio etc don't really apply. Only thing about Poweramp is the devs are the laziest Fs on the planet. They keep saying they're gonna release a new updated full version vs. that buggy Alpha 704 version I got, but it still hasn't happened yet. Been waiting for like 3 years. They said it would be ready 6-7 mos ago, but still nothing. Still, it's my favorite regardless of that fact. Very easy to use, you can customize AND save EQs, has a 10-Band EQ which is key, on the official non-Alpha version you can save your settings so when u get a new phone u can just import that settings file onto Poweramp on new phone, etc.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #3,546 of 6,140
Well, this thread made me try my V30's headphone out to my KSE1200. Tidal MQA files sounded impressive. Wow.

I'm scared to compare to my other DAPs now...

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #3,547 of 6,140
Well, this thread made me try my V30's headphone out to my KSE1200. Tidal MQA files sounded impressive. Wow.

I'm scared to compare to my other DAPs now...

Oh nice cj! I've heard really good things about the KSE1200.

I just tried Shure's SRH1540s. Really great headphones, but they sounded a bit too "cold and distant" for me. Some might say "analytical". Or else I would've kept them. Right now selling off my B&W wired P7s and auditioning both the Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 and the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro. We'll see how that goes (still waiting on Beyer one to come in)!

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #3,548 of 6,140
I've used Sony pha-1a for a long time with Galaxy phones as an external amp/DAC and the tethering with rubber bands and micro USB plug sticking out of the bottom of the phone was just too much hassle.

I never thought they'd make an Android phone with no hassle great sound. V30 sounds better than the Galaxy with the Sony amp ($300).

I have no experience with dedicated DAP's other than old iPods.

Do high end DAP's allow streaming from Spotify and the gang? I don't even own any files of any kind to play. That's why I like that v30 has pretty impressive sound quality with an Android UI, it's like a good DAP with Android apps and music streaming apps, with a crap camera, but the battery life and sound are too good to pass up.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #3,550 of 6,140
I've used Sony pha-1a for a long time with Galaxy phones as an external amp/DAC and the tethering with rubber bands and micro USB plug sticking out of the bottom of the phone was just too much hassle.

I never thought they'd make an Android phone with no hassle great sound. V30 sounds better than the Galaxy with the Sony amp ($300).

Do high end DAP's allow streaming from Spotify and the gang? I don't even own any files of any kind to play. That's why I like that v30 has pretty impressive sound quality with an Android UI, it's like a good DAP with Android apps and music streaming apps, with a crap camera, but the battery life and sound are too good to pass up.

Some Android based DAPs allow you to install streaming apps and just about any Android apps. I have aiBasso DX150 ($499) that allows you to sideload just about any Android app. There is also an easy to flash custom ROM by Lurker that had a few tweaks including a pre-installed Google Play Store, which make things much easier.

The iBasso might sound better, but the V30 with it's Quad DAC can still hold its own and has the advantage of being far slimmer. I can see reasons for for going with either device (or both) depending on your priorities, wants, and needs.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #3,551 of 6,140
the V30 drive my Audioquest Night Owls just fine
not exactly a portable solution though

I can't get LDAC out of the (verizon) V30 even though its on Oreo
does anyone know how?

I have some Sony LDAC BT headset I got for Shanling M0

Jul 5, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #3,552 of 6,140
the V30 drive my Audioquest Night Owls just fine
not exactly a portable solution though

I can't get LDAC out of the (verizon) V30 even though its on Oreo
does anyone know how?

I have some Sony LDAC BT headset I got for Shanling M0
You should be able to enable developer options. At that point you can set several Bluetooth options, one of them being using LDAC. Please be aware, there seems to be a common issue that even though you can change the settings, the change doesn't seem to save. I haven't found any information on how to overcome this on my LG G6.

Edit: somebody on Reddit replied to me and apparently even though the developer option settings you change don't appear to save, they do. The poster suggested that if connected and streaming to a Bluetooth device if I go back into the developer options while the streaming is active, the relevant option (e.g. codec) will correctly show the change you had previously made, even though it looked like it didn't save. I'm going to test this now and see.

Edit: I just confirmed this is indeed the case. While connected to a Bluetooth device the settings seem to stay in developer options and reconnect with the settings again after stopping and reconnecting to a Bluetooth device.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #3,553 of 6,140

I agree on everything, ALL of it.......except the crap camera part. lol With the right settings it can be great, but not as consistently great as a Sony or I guess Samsung phone, though Samsung phones have well-known occasional color accuracy issues.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #3,554 of 6,140
@RockStar2005

Fair enough man, although I believe I may have a defective device, regarding just the camera. I'd keep this phone even if it had no camera.

It sips battery, with Battery saver turned on, so lightly that I only need slap the v30 onto an old wireless charging pad that I bought years ago for my Samsung devices but had to abandon because the Samsungs ate so much battery that the charging pad couldn't replenish it fast enough. This phone is a dream, and add the quad-DAC which allows me to abandon tethering amps to the phone this has to be the first of it's kind (or maybe v20 and v10 were also this way?).

But, I couldn't take a good picture to save my life on the v30. I've taken hundreds of photos and maybe 2 or 3 pictures came out crisp and clear.

I use AI camera when possible and I use manual mode sometimes, but I don't have time usually to adjust settings in manual mode.

My pictures look like this 95% of the time the moment I zoom in even slightly. Oh man I can't seem to link to a picture someone showing an example of what the v30 camera looks like for him.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #3,555 of 6,140
Sorry for double post. My shots usually look like the top picture in the images shown here.

I tried installing that Google apk. I failed. I'll try again. If I can manage it then this would be the best phone I've had.

In fact t it's the only phone I've had yet that afds two really useful features that aren't just a gimmick they are revolutionary i believe. The quad DAC and battery life.

Attachments

• Capture+_2018-07-05-12-51-42.png
    Capture+_2018-07-05-12-51-42.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back