LG V30
Jun 21, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #3,496 of 6,140
I think the iphonex smashes the v30 in all but hirez.
It is stunning. I wonder if a member has both the x and another top phone to comment.
iPhoneX is a gorgeous device. Build quality is second to none, IMHO. Wonderful screen - better than that on the V30.

On the audio front, it's not really hi-res where Apple fails. Hi-res and MQA are of questionable benefit anyway. iPhone doesn't do that great of a job even on redbook CD (and you still can't even purchase lossless tracks from Apple anyway). Older iPhones have quite high output impedance and the dongle has a more limited dynamic range. And without a dongle you're forced to use Bluetooth. And even there, the iPhone loses - it only supports SBC and AAC codecs, where the V30 BT supports SBC, AAC, plus higher-quality codecs like aptX, aptX HD and LDAC.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #3,497 of 6,140
iPhoneX is a gorgeous device. Build quality is second to none, IMHO. Wonderful screen - better than that on the V30.

On the audio front, it's not really hi-res where Apple fails. Hi-res and MQA are of questionable benefit anyway. iPhone doesn't do that great of a job even on redbook CD (and you still can't even purchase lossless tracks from Apple anyway). Older iPhones have quite high output impedance and the dongle has a more limited dynamic range. And without a dongle you're forced to use Bluetooth. And even there, the iPhone loses - it only supports SBC and AAC codecs, where the V30 BT supports SBC, AAC, plus higher-quality codecs like aptX, aptX HD and LDAC.
Wv, wav, ape, flac via Golden Ears.
I use Mega as my cloud. Send zips right to GE

https://www.head-fi.org/search/member?user_id=493118

Seems
FiiO i1 Apple Lightning Amplifier Is already a 24/192 conduit

Is there a bettter?
I am very pleased with redbook. I hear the stock adapters may have been better in the month of debut of the phone....i did get a used one of that month.

I was disappointed to learn iaudiogate only put out 48k
and all the other hirez apps are locked into apple marketing pay clouds
Only Golden Ears makes all the difference

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #3,498 of 6,140
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #3,499 of 6,140
deleted.wrong post
20180621_092436_HDR_zpskpjtjpxp.jpg.html][IMG]

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #3,500 of 6,140
Nice setup! You might want to also consider the Dragonfly Red. It's MFi certified, so doesn't need the CCK. Otherwise Shanling's M0 is a bargain at $99. It's a DAP that can also operate as an external USB DAC - and it has the same quad DAC as the V30.
So this has a lightning plug?
And will substitute for the stock adapter?
I get a real DAC?

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #3,501 of 6,140
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #3,504 of 6,140
Had an iPhone X, 8 plus and now V30. Sound is more to my taste on V30. Love the clarity, iPhone is more engaged but dense.

Ditched the X becausr of the notch, always had to pick it up to unlock, i preferred fingerprint (also privacywise). The picking up problem is back now with the V30, but i dont really mind...

Jun 21, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #3,506 of 6,140
Hmm

Seems there are workarounds

https://amp.reddit.com/r/headphones...onfly_red_not_working_properly_with_iphone_x/

Link not working...

BTW i took the lead from What HiFi on supreme fidelity of the X
One other problem with having a digital port that's proprietary and controlled by Apple: I know from several folks that own external DACs like the Cozy Rei, that the DAC will just stop working after an iOS upgrade. I think it's just Apple's way of ''encouraging" you to stay in the Apple ecosystem. But the CCK should solve the problem. It - and a lightning-to-USB adapter, and an external DAC would replace your current dongle. (You would need the CCK anyway with the M0.)

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #3,507 of 6,140
I think the iphonex smashes the v30 in all but hirez.
It is stunning. I wonder if a member has both the x and another top phone to comment.

Here's what I've gathered on the topic..................

"What Hi-Fi?", which is typically my "go-to" audio reviewer, claims the iPhone X has SLIGHTLY better audio than the LG V30. You can see their reviews on that site by clicking on the links provided. (Note: Just skip to the Audio section on all 3 smartphone reviews posted here. To be clear, I am focusing ONLY on HEADPHONE AUDIO in this post.)

The thing is, a few years ago, I got a friend of mine the DragonFly Black (DFB) for his birthday, and though past What Hi-Fi? iPhone reviews called its audio superior, when he used the $100 DFB, he said he noticed improvement on the sound. But a year and a half ago, I got the LG V20 and compared it (as well as the HTC 10 with its also incredible amp/DAC) to my $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and I COULD NOT hear a difference over several test songs (same results with the HTC 10 too). So I then sold my HA-2 and kept the HTC 10 at the time simply b/c I felt the V20 was too big. (But now since LG went 18:9 with the V30, I no longer felt that way and am very happy with the size of the V30!)

So even though I typically favor What Hi-Fi?'s audio reviews with headphones, I don't agree with them so much on smartphone audio. So the statement made in the V30's review about the iPhone X being superior doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3,508 of 6,140
Here's what I've gathered on the topic..................

"What Hi-Fi?", which is typically my "go-to" audio reviewer, claims the iPhone X has SLIGHTLY better audio than the LG V30. You can see their reviews on that site by clicking on the links provided. (Note: Just skip to the Audio section on all 3 smartphone reviews posted here. To be clear, I am focusing ONLY on HEADPHONE AUDIO in this post.)

The thing is, a few years ago, I got a friend of mine the DragonFly Black (DFB) for his birthday, and though past What Hi-Fi? iPhone reviews called its audio superior, when he used the $100 DFB, he said he noticed improvement on the sound. But a year and a half ago, I got the LG V20 and compared it (as well as the HTC 10 with its also incredible amp/DAC) to my $300 Oppo HA-2 amp/DAC, and I COULD NOT hear a difference over several test songs (same results with the HTC 10 too). So I then sold my HA-2 and kept the HTC 10 at the time simply b/c I felt the V20 was too big. (But now since LG went 18:9 with the V30, I no longer felt that way and am very happy with the size of the V30!)

So even though I typically favor What Hi-Fi?'s audio reviews with headphones, I don't agree with them so much on smartphone audio. So the statement made in the V30's review about the iPhone X being superior doesn't make any sense to me.
The problem with the internet is most of its revenue is advertiser-driven, hence a strong motivation for sensationalist, click-bait articles or headlines. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it's having a disastrous effect on the fabric of society. And if you drill down far enough, you can probably find (or manufacture) a grain of truth in even the wildest of conspiracy theories. I'm not suggesting What HiFi are disingenuous (though I think that's the more likely explanation); they could just be lazy and have not done due diligence. It's entirely conceivable that they simply picked up an iPhone X, loaded it with an ALAC track, put the same (or FLAC equivalent) on a V30, hit play in the respective music apps (iTunes and LG Music app), and on a sensitive pair of IEMs they may well have heard slightly better audio via the iPhone, on account of the re-sampling issue on the V30. It's unlikely they'd have gone to the trouble of testing the V30 with Neutron or UAPP with the correct hi-res driver settings.

The problem I have with Apple are their ethics. Their care for their customers extends only as far as their bottom line and given that most people care far more about picture/camera quality than they do about audio, I'm sure they figured they could make a few more $$$s from their Beats acquisition by dumping the headphone jack and locking people out of their external DACs, 3rd party replacement screens, etc. "Courage"(?) Give me a break. "There's no room for a 3.5 mm socket." In an iPhone 8 Plus? When Shanling were able to fit one into an M0?? Please don't insult our intelligence.

Who knows what stunt they'll pull next. Apple purchase = guaranteed and early built-in obsolescence. That's why you should buy a V30 :)

P.S. Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant!

Jun 21, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #3,510 of 6,140
The problem with the internet is most of its revenue is advertiser-driven, hence a strong motivation for sensationalist, click-bait articles or headlines. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say it's having a disastrous effect on the fabric of society. And if you drill down far enough, you can probably find (or manufacture) a grain of truth in even the wildest of conspiracy theories. I'm not suggesting What HiFi are disingenuous (though I think that's the more likely explanation); they could just be lazy and have not done due diligence. It's entirely conceivable that they simply picked up an iPhone X, loaded it with an ALAC track, put the same (or FLAC equivalent) on a V30, hit play in the respective music apps (iTunes and LG Music app), and on a sensitive pair of IEMs they may well have heard slightly better audio via the iPhone, on account of the re-sampling issue on the V30. It's unlikely they'd have gone to the trouble of testing the V30 with Neutron or UAPP with the correct hi-res driver settings.

The problem I have with Apple are their ethics. Their care for their customers extends only as far as their bottom line and given that most people care far more about picture/camera quality than they do about audio, I'm sure they figured they could make a few more $$$s from their Beats acquisition by dumping the headphone jack and locking people out of their external DACs, 3rd party replacement screens, etc. "Courage"(?) Give me a break. "There's no room for a 3.5 mm socket." In an iPhone 8 Plus? When Shanling were able to fit one into an M0?? Please don't insult our intelligence.

Who knows what stunt they'll pull next. Apple purchase = guaranteed and early built-in obsolescence. That's why you should buy a V30 :)

P.S. Sorry for the slightly off-topic rant!

Re-sampling issue of the V30??? What's that about? Never heard of that before.

Yeah you gotta use the best apps and settings to get the best sound. Apple doesn't let you customize that much, but Android does.

Yes, I think all that crap about why they should remove the headphone jack is total BS too. When HTC did it, they said they were able to make the phone's speakers louder, but I mean, there are prob other ways to do that. And this notion that using a dongle is somehow BETTER than an audio jack is horsesh*t too. I DEF agree on the statement you made about them caring much more about picture/camera quality than audio. That's DEF the case with Samsung too, though they're much worse when it comes to audio. lol I don't care really care about using a dongle b/c I use one anyway to "trick" my V30 into Aux mode, but the idea that the MicroUSB-C to Female 3.5mm dongle is a more superior setup vs. the traditional one has no merit b/c I haven't seen anything to prove it sounds any better. I think someone said it's actually worse, though I don't know if they had anything to back that statement up either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back