LG V30
Jun 11, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #3,421 of 6,140
Hello,

I just ordered a V30 and i was thinking about getting a new set of headphones.

After reading a bit, I was about to get the M50x from AT, since i think they will meet my needs (i kinda like V shaped sound)

Then i read something about the low volume issue, because < 50 ohm, so i decided to ask you guys what do you think:
-Should i get another alternative? If so, what should i pick? (same price range, ~125€)
-Should i get them anyway and trick the phone into high impedance? (don't feel very comfortable about doing it everythime i want to plug the headphones :/ )

Thanks a lot

LP

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3,422 of 6,140
Hello,

How about grado SR325e?
After reading a bit, I was about to get the M50x from AT, since i think they will meet my needs (i kinda like V shaped sound)

Then i read something about the low volume issue, because < 50 ohm, so i decided to ask you guys what do you think:
-Should i get another alternative? If so, what should i pick? (same price range, ~125€)
-Should i get them anyway and trick the phone into high impedance? (don't feel very comfortable about doing it everythime i want to plug the headphones :/ )

Thanks a lot

LP

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #3,423 of 6,140
Wonder if the baterry saver mode affect on hifi mode quad dac or sound quality?

Does anyone try the stock headphone of LG V30 ( B&O headphone) is this the best stock headphone include with the phone at the moment ? :D

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #3,424 of 6,140
Hello,

Thanks a lot

LP

I sometimes use the m50x at work with the V30 and don't bother trying to trigger aux or high impedance mode. It really doesn't need either of them to be driven beyond comfortable levels.

You could check out the Denon MM400, which I also have, and it's quite a bit more refined than the m50x without losing out on bass. Not sure what they're retailing at now, but last time I checked they're sub 200.

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #3,425 of 6,140
I sometimes use the m50x at work with the V30 and don't bother trying to trigger aux or high impedance mode. It really doesn't need either of them to be driven beyond comfortable levels.

You could check out the Denon MM400, which I also have, and it's quite a bit more refined than the m50x without losing out on bass. Not sure what they're retailing at now, but last time I checked they're sub 200.

Also, since the m50x got that detachable cable, i guess if you plug the cable without the actual headphones it would go High Impedance mode right?

them mm400 cost about ~300€ in european amazons!! a bit off budget :)

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,426 of 6,140
@lpfbs well, doing that wouldn't trigger high impedance but it would trigger aux mode if you wanted the additional volume. I find the m50x easy to drive, so unless you want a ton of head room, you wouldn't need to. It's great in standard hifi mode, but test it out when you get them and report back!

Jun 11, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #3,427 of 6,140
Hello,

Thanks a lot

LP

I personally think the AT M50x sounds awful, despite how popular it is. From what I remember, the soundstage was very narrow, and overall I just didn't like the sound.

Well I trick my V30 EVERY time I listen to headphones to go into Aux mode. It only takes a second and you a great volume bump, so I'd suggest you keep doing that. You can try also just not doing it one time and see in Normal Device mode if the V30 gets loud enough for you. If it does, then fine. If not, then just go back to tricking it.

With regards to alternate headphone options, I suggest the following for that price range (ranked from best to least best):

1) AKG K550 (or AKG K550 MK II.....they both sound THE SAME) (32 ohms)
2) Koss Pro4S (35 ohms, comes with lifetime warranty)
3) Brainwavz HM5 (64 ohms)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #3,428 of 6,140

The M50x are great headphones for the money. Like @waveSounds said, don't worry about messing with impedance adapters. Unless you have very low-sensitivity planar magnetics or are desperately hard of hearing, you shouldn't ever need to worry about adapters with this phone.

Wonder if the baterry saver mode affect on hifi mode quad dac or sound quality?

Does anyone try the stock headphone of LG V30 ( B&O headphone) is this the best stock headphone include with the phone at the moment ? :D

My V30 didn't come with the B&O headphones, so can't comment on that - sorry! Great question on battery saver mode though. I don't know for sure, but it's a definite possible that battery saver mode might disable 3 of the 4 DAC pipelines (see my previous post a page or two back). I've never tried listening or measuring for differences, because it's kind of a low-priority concern for me. The battery life on my V30 is the best I've ever experienced on a phone - I rarely go home with less than 50% battery and have never used battery saver mode. But I'll try to look into this if I get time.

A big thanks to those of you that sent me those helpful suggestions on my issue with the proximity sensor. Everything is working as expected now (without any Play Store apps!) - but my V30 did require a factory reset. Probably my fault - I mess with too many things that I shouldn't :wink:

One last question for today... Any Shanling M0 users out there? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on SQ. This isn't definitive (I don't think there's ever a way of covering all possible bases), but from the A/B tests I've done so far using HD800S, Utopia, SE846 and Xelentos with my V30 only on the short filter and normal preset and M0 only on the "Corrected min. Fast" filter, I'd give a slight edge to the M0. It maybe because the M0 has less other sources of noise (not having to handle an entire Android system with WiFi, cellular, etc.), or maybe just because of the differences in filters. I read a rather cynical comment about the V30's filters - that they were intentionally designed to make the V30 sound different, to ensure everybody would notice the effect of switching on the HiFi DAC. (By contrast, filters on many other DACs can be fairly subtle and require good high-frequency hearing to notice any differences.) The M0 is stuffed full of features - you can even use it as an external DAC if you'd like to send your V30 digital output through a ES9128p DAC :wink: Also, it does two-way bluetooth with LDAC - which is the best Bluetooth SQ I've yet heard. It's sold by MusicTeck and TSAV in the US for $99, which - for me - makes this thing my all-time top recommendation for value-for-money audio.

Jun 11, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3,429 of 6,140
My V30 didn't come with the B&O headphones, so can't comment on that - sorry! Great question on battery saver mode though. I don't know for sure, but it's a definite possible that battery saver mode might disable 3 of the 4 DAC pipelines (see my previous post a page or two back). I've never tried listening or measuring for differences, because it's kind of a low-priority concern for me. The battery life on my V30 is the best I've ever experienced on a phone - I rarely go home with less than 50% battery and have never used battery saver mode. But I'll try to look into this if I get time.

A big thanks to those of you that sent me those helpful suggestions on my issue with the proximity sensor. Everything is working as expected now (without any Play Store apps!) - but my V30 did require a factory reset. Probably my fault - I mess with too many things that I shouldn't :wink:

One last question for today... Any Shanling M0 users out there? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on SQ. This isn't definitive (I don't think there's ever a way of covering all possible bases), but from the A/B tests I've done so far using HD800S, Utopia, SE846 and Xelentos with my V30 only on the short filter and normal preset and M0 only on the "Corrected min. Fast" filter, I'd give a slight edge to the M0. It maybe because the M0 has less other sources of noise (not having to handle an entire Android system with WiFi, cellular, etc.), or maybe just because of the differences in filters. I read a rather cynical comment about the V30's filters - that they were intentionally designed to make the V30 sound different, to ensure everybody would notice the effect of switching on the HiFi DAC. (By contrast, filters on many other DACs can be fairly subtle and require good high-frequency hearing to notice any differences.) The M0 is stuffed full of features - you can even use it as an external DAC if you'd like to send your V30 digital output through a ES9128p DAC :wink: Also, it does two-way bluetooth with LDAC - which is the best Bluetooth SQ I've yet heard. It's sold by MusicTeck and TSAV in the US for $99, which - for me - makes this thing my all-time top recommendation for value-for-money audio.

Yeah I'd like to know too if Battery Saver does anything to the Quad DAC. I'm guessing it doesn't, and I hope I'm right. lol

I can def vouch for the V30's battery life as well. As with my old Sony Xperia Z3, the V30's battery life is VERY strong even w/o Battery Saver.

Jun 12, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #3,432 of 6,140
Has anyone else had their Hifi Status app stop working on their V30 with Oreo 8.0? I've cleared the cache, deleted the app's data, and uninstalled it. Now when I go to the Play Store I'm told my device is not compatible! I see one of the commenters there appears to have had a similar experience. Just wondering how widespread this issue is?

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #3,433 of 6,140
Hello,

Thanks a lot

LP
For V-shaped cans at a real good price, I'd throw the DT770 into the discussion with the K550, M50. They'll also trigger high impedance mode...fwiw

Maybe V-Moda M100s (on sale). Won't trigger high impedance mode but sound fine on the V30.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #3,434 of 6,140
Has anyone else had their Hifi Status app stop working on their V30 with Oreo 8.0? I've cleared the cache, deleted the app's data, and uninstalled it. Now when I go to the Play Store I'm told my device is not compatible! I see one of the commenters there appears to have had a similar experience. Just wondering how widespread this issue is?

Mine didn't work for a bit but lately it's been fine. Not sure why, but it seems to have fixed itself.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #3,435 of 6,140
For V-shaped cans at a real good price, I'd throw the DT770 into the discussion with the K550, M50. They'll also trigger high impedance mode...fwiw

Maybe V-Moda M100s (on sale). Won't trigger high impedance mode but sound fine on the V30.

I was gonna mention the DT770 as well, but I felt the K550 was prob still superior to it. Also, you have to be careful because there's DT770 Studio and a DT770 Pro, and the Pro has 3 different versions.....32, 80, & 250 ohm ones. Also, the 80 ohm version has 3 different versions too.....the standard one with sliver ear pads, a Limited Edition one with black ear pads, and a "Monitoring" version too! Yup!! LOL

You can see them all here. (The Limited Edition Black one is cheaper on a different page on there too.)

I guess MAYBE because V-shape is preferred, you might like them over the more neutral headphones I suggested. So perhaps GearMe has a point? If I had to choose, I'd go with the 80 ohm one (not the Monitoring one) cuz one of my favorite musicians.....one Lenny Kravitz, kit.com says he uses that one. Though I personally love the look of the Limited Edition Black 80 ohm even more, so I'd prob go with that since I assume they sound the same.

You can view a video for a Kravitz song where you actually see him using BOTH headphones listed on that kit.com page here. He is wearing the DT770 at the piano and the drums (AKG K240 at vocals/mic). Great song too that I JUST discovered, especially the ending part!

Hope to helps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back