LG V30
Jun 6, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #3,392 of 6,140
Use of the Qualcomm SoC DAC (with the HiFi DAC off) certainly seems plausible. It would be equally plausible (and arguably a lot less overhead for LG) to simply drop 3 of the 4 pipes via an API switch. I will try to dig out the article that describes this and bring it to TSAV this weekend. Of course, that won't prove anything - there have been multiple articles written about the V30 (from supposedly reputable sources) that contained obvious errors or discrepancies. But we should be equally cautious about believing the word of an LG rep. If you want proof that LG reps don't know anything about their products, try calling LG tech support As for the output being "weaker" with the HiFi DAC off, that's because the volume level drops back to one of only 15 volume-step increments and (depending on your initial volume level) that alone will cause a drop in SPL.

@yklee118 may be right, since certain ESS DAC features (presets and filters) disappear with the HiFi DAC off, but IMHO, the circuit diagram alone proves nothing.

For most people this is going to be a non-issue, because almost everyone is going to be using the HiFi DAC almost all of the time anyway.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3,393 of 6,140
On an issue unrelated to audio... There are a couple of quirks to the V30 that I'm struggling to get around without root. (I'll explain more later.) I'd be curious to know how many people on this thread have butt-dialed the emergency services at least once on their V30...?

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #3,395 of 6,140
Please look up the term "System-on-Chip" The ES9218p is a System-on-Chip. As shown on the diagram I provided in earlier posts, the entire SoC includes processing, Quad DAC, HP Amp, Power Management, etc.. Seriously start looking up the term System-on-Chip. If those whom ask this question, didn't bother that I referenced the words "System-on-Chip" when associating with the ES9218p SoC. A System-on-Chip is like a laptop computer only on chip with the exception of the RAM and integrated storage being located outside the SoC. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 is classified as a System-on-Chip hence when the "HiFi Quad DAC" is disabled, the audio signal path is routed to the Snapdragon 835 SoC. When the "HiFi Quad DAC" is activated, the audio signal is then routed back to the ES9218p SoC with the exception of the MQA decoding aspect as that particular processor is integrated with the Snapdragon 835 SoC.

For more information, please feel free to contact me or read my blog. www.theaudiophileworld.net
Really thanks. I suspect a package from ess but honeatly i'm a big ignorant on techni so SOC for me is new concept

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #3,396 of 6,140
I found the article I was looking for. It was actually for the V20, not the V30, so it's possible they changed the architecture and design a bit in the V30 and/or the article isn't accurate. Still, this quote is interesting:

The Quad DAC’s low power mode shuts down three of the four DACs when they’re not needed, to increase battery life when playing lower quality audio or using lower quality headsets. – Ken Hong, global communications director for LG

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

So have NONE of you EVER butt-dialed 911 or 999 from your V30?!? C'mon, I know some of you must have...

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #3,397 of 6,140
I found the article I was looking for. It was actually for the V20, not the V30, so it's possible they changed the architecture and design a bit in the V30 and/or the article isn't accurate. Still, this quote is interesting:

https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-quad-dac-explained-713587/

So have NONE of you EVER butt-dialed 911 or 999 from your V30?!? C'mon, I know some of you must have...

See I think I'd seen that somewhere too, but the fact that it's for the V20 and not the V30 made me doubt it was still valid.

No. lol

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #3,398 of 6,140
See I think I'd seen that somewhere too, but the fact that it's for the V20 and not the V30 made me doubt it was still valid.

That's entirely possible. BTW @RockStar2005, try this at home: Turn the HiFi DAC on and set the volume level to some multiple of 5. Then turn the HiFi DAC off. It should sound different, but does it sound weaker?

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #3,399 of 6,140
That's entirely possible. BTW @RockStar2005, try this at home: Turn the HiFi DAC on and set the volume level to some multiple of 5. Then turn the HiFi DAC off. It should sound different, but does it sound weaker?

Ok. Though when I said weaker earlier I meant not just "softer" but also not as detailed too.

I will try it later on tonight and see.

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #3,400 of 6,140
Ok. Though when I said weaker earlier I meant not just "softer" but also not as detailed too.
Without SPL matching, you will hear more detail from the louder of two identical sources. I'm not saying they're identical - but less detail (even SPL-matched) would be entirely consistent with the decreased SNR of only one pipe being active.

These details may well be LG proprietary.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #3,405 of 6,140
I don't use my butt to dial...
I don't either. Intentionally :) Here's the deal...

Regulations mean all new phones must have an emergency dial button accessible from the lockscreen. Not a dial pad - but one button that, when clicked, immediately calls the emergency services. Any of you using the "KnockON" feature on the V30? It's really useful, but if you're running with your V30 in your pocket, the touchscreen operates easily even through a fairly thick layer of fabric. The first couple of presses wake the screen, any up/down motion from running, jogging, or even walking then takes you to the password screen with the emergency call button. Now it's only a matter of time until you call 911. Even if you miss on the first few random presses, those spurious screen touches ensure the screen stays on with that emergency call button active.

Disabling KnockON didn't help me, because any call, text, or any other push notification that comes through will also wake the screen. The only (non-root) solution I've found is to put the V30 in a thick case that covers the screen. Does nobody else run/bike with their V30? How do you avoid this problem? Is there a software solution anybody's found that doesing involve rooting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back