LG V30
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #3,376 of 6,140
When the "HiFi Quad DAC" is disabled, like the diagram I posted suggests, the Snapdragon CPU SoC handles the audio signal including MQA. Please view the diagram as it closely displays how each DAC operates. As I have stated, I confirm the operation of the ES9218P DAC SoC. The Quad DAC operates in full balanced mode internally before output to single ended stereo minijack. As for the power output stage, again the diagram displays the paths and the Integrated power management processor within the ES9218P SoC maps the automatic gain control based on impedance of headphones. If treated as a line output device, this same power management processor activates the line out mode providing a stable 2VRMS from a 3.6V battery supply.

See I'm confused now. CSG is sayin' that if u shut off the Quad DAC, then only one of the ESS DACs are being used. But then yklee is sayin' that if u disable Quad DAC that the only DAC being used is the Snapdragon one. And u guys wonder why ppl get confused? lol

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #3,377 of 6,140
jackie-chan-meme-200x200.jpg

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #3,379 of 6,140
I have to go with yklee's statement csg. Not only does he have a diagram, but what he says seems to make more sense. I've listened to the V30 with the Quad DAC off, and it sounds weak. I can't believe that with one ESS DAC it would sound that weak.

But I'm still happy to know that it doesn't really matter what mode you're in because ALL FOUR DACS are being used when Quad DAC is enabled! lol :L3000:

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #3,380 of 6,140
But I'm still happy to know that it doesn't really matter what mode you're in because ALL FOUR DACS are being used when Quad DAC is enabled! lol :L3000:
It has been the case since the V10 model, I really don't understand why people keep coming back with the same nonsensical argument when LG has officially explained how Quad-dac works.
What changes between modes is the output power, nothing else.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #3,381 of 6,140
It has been the case since the V10 model, I really don't understand why people keep coming back with the same nonsensical argument when LG has officially explained how Quad-dac works.
What changes between modes is the output power, nothing else.

Yeah. I only notice a volume change as well. Aux mode is about 20% louder than Normal Device mode at the same volume on the V30. That 20% is most helpful to me since some of my most favorite Hi-Res album purchases (i.e. Fleetwood Mac's 1975 "white" album, some Tom Petty ones, etc.) were mastered at lower volumes ON PURPOSE in order to make the sound more smooth so that even when you raise the volume, it still sounds balanced and awesome vs. one big WOOOSHH! in your face sound like u get from brickwalled mp3s and some CDs. lol Now I can listen to these albums at louder volumes which actually makes them sound great but not "too loud" at all.

Tom Petty himself explains it all here. I don't agree with the 5% statement lol (I say more like 60-70%), but everything else sounds legit.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #3,382 of 6,140
Question: How to turn off charging notification?

Whenever I set the V30 down on a Qi charge pad a notification pops up with a % displayed and an audible 'beep' every couple of seconds. I am going through the settings and scouring the interwebs about disabling this. So far no luck and figure someone here has an idea. Please for the love of all things audio let me know! TIA.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #3,383 of 6,140
See I'm confused now. CSG is sayin' that if u shut off the Quad DAC, then only one of the ESS DACs are being used. But then yklee is sayin' that if u disable Quad DAC that the only DAC being used is the Snapdragon one. And u guys wonder why ppl get confused? lol
No need for confusion. The diagram link I provided should be quite clear as to how the QUAD DAC feature in the ES9218p SoC operates. The Quad DAC is essentially a System on Chip package, not that dissimilar to the Snapdragon SoC handling the processing functions of the LG V30. To be quite clear, when a user turns off the "HiFi Quad DAC", the audio signal is routed to the Snapdragon SoC and then through the Audio Bypass shown in the ES9218P diagram.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,384 of 6,140
Question: How to turn off charging notification?

Whenever I set the V30 down on a Qi charge pad a notification pops up with a % displayed and an audible 'beep' every couple of seconds. I am going through the settings and scouring the interwebs about disabling this. So far no luck and figure someone here has an idea. Please for the love of all things audio let me know! TIA.

That means the pad is constantly connecting/disconnecting. That's not good.

If you set it to charge on a wireless pad/stand, it should beep at the beginning and that's it.

Jun 6, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,385 of 6,140
No need for confusion. The diagram link I provided should be quite clear as to how the QUAD DAC feature in the ES9218p SoC operates. The Quad DAC is essentially a System on Chip package, not that dissimilar to the Snapdragon SoC handling the processing functions of the LG V30. To be quite clear, when a user turns off the "HiFi Quad DAC", the audio signal is routed to the Snapdragon SoC and then through the Audio Bypass shown in the ES9218P diagram.

That actually is VERY clear! Thank you! lol

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,386 of 6,140
i don´t understand one thing: the dac comes in a package with ess amplifier or the amplifier is separate from the dac?

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3,387 of 6,140
That means the pad is constantly connecting/disconnecting. That's not good.

If you set it to charge on a wireless pad/stand, it should beep at the beginning and that's it.

Interesting. When it happens I either lift it off and place it back on and it'll stop or I turn the screen lock on. But I'd still like to know where the setting is to control this charge alert thing.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #3,388 of 6,140
i don´t understand one thing: the dac comes in a package with ess amplifier or the amplifier is separate from the dac?

Please look up the term "System-on-Chip" The ES9218p is a System-on-Chip. As shown on the diagram I provided in earlier posts, the entire SoC includes processing, Quad DAC, HP Amp, Power Management, etc.. Seriously start looking up the term System-on-Chip. If those whom ask this question, didn't bother that I referenced the words "System-on-Chip" when associating with the ES9218p SoC. A System-on-Chip is like a laptop computer only on chip with the exception of the RAM and integrated storage being located outside the SoC. The Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 is classified as a System-on-Chip hence when the "HiFi Quad DAC" is disabled, the audio signal path is routed to the Snapdragon 835 SoC. When the "HiFi Quad DAC" is activated, the audio signal is then routed back to the ES9218p SoC with the exception of the MQA decoding aspect as that particular processor is integrated with the Snapdragon 835 SoC.

For more information, please feel free to contact me or read my blog. www.theaudiophileworld.net

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,389 of 6,140

There shouldn't be any confusion here. The diagram clearly displays the routing of the audio signal, DAC configuration, and HP/Line Output Amps. The ES9218p is a 32-bit Quad DAC SoC "System-on-Chip". When you disable the "HiFi Quad DAC", the audio signal is routed to the Snapdragon 835 SoC, processed with or without MQA through the Analog bypass path of the ES9218p SoC. Just to clarify, with the Quad DAC off, all amplification duties are conducted by the Snapdragon SoC.

I hope that clarifies how the DAC works.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #3,390 of 6,140
There shouldn't be any confusion here. The diagram clearly displays the routing of the audio signal, DAC configuration, and HP/Line Output Amps. The ES9218p is a 32-bit Quad DAC SoC "System-on-Chip". When you disable the "HiFi Quad DAC", the audio signal is routed to the Snapdragon 835 SoC, processed with or without MQA through the Analog bypass path of the ES9218p SoC. Just to clarify, with the Quad DAC off, all amplification duties are conducted by the Snapdragon SoC.

I hope that clarifies how the DAC works.

Yeah you answered my question earlier, and I already responded to it above, so thanks again! No more confusion here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back