LG V30
Jun 5, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #3,361 of 6,140
So what about Poweramp though? Can anyone here actually verify that if you use Poweramp it's not using the Quad DAC? The Quad DAC is enabled when I use Poweramp since I'm using a wired connection. I want someone here to actually say it's NOT using the Quad DAC and have actual facts to back it up. lol

No one is saying it's not using it. It's just not using it to its full potential due to the up-sampling issue.

Neutron and UAPP do because they get around it.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #3,362 of 6,140
No one is saying it's not using it. It's just not using it to its full potential due to the up-sampling issue.

Neutron and UAPP do because they get around it.

Oh ok. Then this just goes back to the earlier post saying the same thing. I thought something else was being implied here. I could care less about all that upscaling stuff as mentioned earlier.

Thank you!

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #3,363 of 6,140
I feel your pain. The problem is different DAPs and different Android apps can all do slightly different things with your metadata. The easiest thing was for me to organize everything on my SDcards into directories for artists, then sub-directories for albums. It takes some effort, but you only have to do this once, and then you can easily navigate by folders on every DAP/app :)
That's exactly how I have it organised, but using folder view negates the nice simple user interface that I find as being one of the big draws of UAPP.

It now seems it is a metadata issue. Although within UAPP it shows album artist for every track, when I check on my pc most actually don't. Still a pain to sort out but not as bad I guess.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #3,364 of 6,140
Here is something I am going to put to rest. Read about it on my blog. Here is the link and please scroll to the bottom. http://www.theaudiophileworld.net/2017/10/the-lg-v30-fine-audio-listening-in-cell.html

I have read quite a few of these posts ranging from those for whom believe the implementation of the Quad DAC function of the ESS ES9218p SoC DAC. Study the circuit diagram and those whom quoted that different impedance values activates the DAC in certain ways such as single, double, and quad DAC mode is quite incorrect. The Quad-DAC is always online. Different signal sources are handled by the internal processor of the ES9218p SoC. Emphasis on SoC which is System-on-Chip. Previous implementations of the Quad DAC such the one featured in the LG V20 didn't feature an internal signal routing processor. That duty was handled by the main System-on-Chip, the Snapdragon processor. In the case of the LG V30/V30+, LG G7 and the upcoming LG V35, the ES9218p is its own System-on-Chip. So all of the signal routing duties are performed internally. The only one component not featured on this chip is the ability to hardware decode MQA. Those duties reside near the audio I/O pipeline within the Snapdragon 835 SoC.

Just some food for thought.

Here is the link to the ES9218p SoC diagram. http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...og-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/

I always find it fascinating to engage in conversation with fellow head-fi and audiophiles.

Also if any of you are in the area, please check out the event "AudioCon June" held at two locations. I will be at the one in Torrance while the other is in Covina. It is supported by "The Los Angeles Orange County Audio Society". The Mc Clinic will be held on one day in Torrance at The Source AV and Jason Lord. It is a two day event in which if any of you are interested, Mr. Lord has a large collection of headphones and headphone gear to satisfy many person's curiosity.

Have a great week everyone.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,365 of 6,140
Here is something I am going to put to rest. Read about it on my blog. Here is the link and please scroll to the bottom. http://www.theaudiophileworld.net/2017/10/the-lg-v30-fine-audio-listening-in-cell.html

I have read quite a few of these posts ranging from those for whom believe the implementation of the Quad DAC function of the ESS ES9218p SoC DAC. Study the circuit diagram and those whom quoted that different impedance values activates the DAC in certain ways such as single, double, and quad DAC mode is quite incorrect. The Quad-DAC is always online. Different signal sources are handled by the internal processor of the ES9218p SoC. Emphasis on SoC which is System-on-Chip. Previous implementations of the Quad DAC such the one featured in the LG V20 didn't feature an internal signal routing processor. That duty was handled by the main System-on-Chip, the Snapdragon processor. In the case of the LG V30/V30+, LG G7 and the upcoming LG V35, the ES9218p is its own System-on-Chip. So all of the signal routing duties are performed internally. The only one component not featured on this chip is the ability to hardware decode MQA. Those duties reside near the audio I/O pipeline within the Snapdragon 835 SoC.

Here is the link to the ES9218p SoC diagram. http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en...og-converters/sabre-hifi-mobile-dacs/es9218p/

I always find it fascinating to engage in conversation with fellow head-fi and audiophiles.

Also if any of you are in the area, please check out the event "AudioCon June" held at two locations. I will be at the one in Torrance while the other is in Covina. It is supported by "The Los Angeles Orange County Audio Society". The Mc Clinic will be held on one day in Torrance at The Source AV and Jason Lord. It is a two day event in which if any of you are interested, Mr. Lord has a large collection of headphones and headphone gear to satisfy many person's curiosity.

I guess what it all comes down to then is the amp, not the DAC. Cuz when I am in different modes on my V30, I get NOTICEABLY DIFFERENT volume levels. Like normal device mode vs. aux/external device............everything in aux is at least 15 if not closer to 20% louder at the same volume. But it does appear more than acceptable at this point that all 4 DACs are being utilized at all times, or else none if Quad DAC is turned off.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #3,366 of 6,140

Great post - thanks! Please pm me and let me know when the Torrance event is - we should meet up there :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #3,367 of 6,140
Great post - thanks! Please pm me and let me know when the Torrance event is - we should meet up there :)

AudioCon June. 8 and 9th
I will be at The Source AV in Torrance on both days. The McClinic is only on the 8th of June also at The Source AV.

ALSO on the same two days, AudioCon will be hosting for those whom don't desire to make the commute, will hold an event at Sunny's Components in Covina. For further details, please check out our website at www.laocas.org

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #3,368 of 6,140
AudioCon June. 8 and 9th
I will be at The Source AV in Torrance on both days. The McClinic is only on the 8th of June also at The Source AV.

ALSO on the same two days, AudioCon will be hosting for those whom don't desire to make the commute, will hold an event at Sunny's Components in Covina. For further details, please check out our website at www.laocas.org

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #3,372 of 6,140
If the ES9218P is a quad in itself like Intel quad core cpu, whether the signal go through it or not go through it, how could the signal go through but not using quad DAC?

Excuse the poor drawing, but this is how I would do it, this would use the ES9218P HP amp but not the DAC.

external dac.png

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #3,374 of 6,140
I don't see how it could be any other way
There is another way :wink: Three of the four pipes can shut down. The idea of the quad DAC pipeline is that merging the signal from each pipe causes constructive interference of the actual signal, whereas noise (being random) tends to cancel out. So this improves the signal-to-noise ratio. If you turn the quad DAC off, the V30 can save power by only using one of the pipes.

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,375 of 6,140
There is another way :wink: Three of the four pipes can shut down. The idea of the quad DAC pipeline is that merging the signal from each pipe causes constructive interference of the actual signal, whereas noise (being random) tends to cancel out. So this improves the signal-to-noise ratio. If you turn the quad DAC off, the V30 can save power by only using one of the pipes.
When the "HiFi Quad DAC" is disabled, like the diagram I posted suggests, the Snapdragon CPU SoC handles the audio signal including MQA. Please view the diagram as it closely displays how each DAC operates. As I have stated, I confirm the operation of the ES9218P DAC SoC. The Quad DAC operates in full balanced mode internally before output to single ended stereo minijack. As for the power output stage, again the diagram displays the paths and the Integrated power management processor within the ES9218P SoC maps the automatic gain control based on impedance of headphones. If treated as a line output device, this same power management processor activates the line out mode providing a stable 2VRMS from a 3.6V battery supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back