LG V30
May 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #3,226 of 6,140
Because it is, literally, the only streaming service that has a catalogue of hi-res music that covers most genres. And MQA.

For me, there isn't another option.

I have Tidal to a an amazing promo from Best Buy over the holidays...but it expires end of this month and I am probably going back to Deezer. It's "Hi Fi" tier just sounds better than Tidal.

May 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #3,227 of 6,140
Because it is, literally, the only streaming service that has a catalogue of hi-res music that covers most genres. And MQA.

For me, there isn't another option.

Ah...."MQA". 3+ years of elusiveness/scarcity and dubious audio claims. I for one am interested in MQA which I believe should be becoming available on Deezer. I use Deezer Elite which has been fine for a streaming service. I also look forward to Qobuz Hi-Res becoming available to North America one day. We do need more "options".

May 18, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #3,228 of 6,140
Despite the controversy surrounding MQA I at least like to have it as an option, ya know! Deezer could be an interesting alternative... I hadn't heard of it before. Doesn't seem to have UAPP support, though.

May 18, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #3,230 of 6,140
Created many MQA playlists on Tidal, downloaded. Done. No need for UAPP.
Some say this app works with Tidal.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wiseschematics.reeq01&hl=en_US
The Tidal app doesn't quite deliver the sonic experience on the V30 that UAPP does. I say this because I had an opportunity to analyze the code and the HiRes Driver for UAPP versus Tidal. The Tidal app basically wrote a simple script to bypass Android's default parameters for the audio driver set. UAPP has customized the HiRes Driver, especially for MQA support specifically for the only global flagship smartphone on the market, which is the LG V30. UAPP has the ability to bypass Android OS Audio Driver thus allowing the full capabilities of MQA and DSD256 so long as the ES9218p is active (via stereo minijack).

As for some whom believed that the MQA decoding hardware is near or embedded with the ES9218p, I confirmed the true specs from two of the reps from CES2018 that the MQA decoder is integrated with the Snapdragon 835 audio core path to the ES9218p. So basically, the Snapdragon processor will conduct all of the processing required for MQA hardware decoding. Once MQA is unfolded, the signal is then sent to the ES9218p DAC and the Sabre headphone amp/line stage 3.5mm stereo minijack output. UAPP has been designed with the HiRes Driver specifically to take advantage of this combination of hardware components in a Flagship Smartphone from LG.

Some food for thought.

May 18, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #3,231 of 6,140
Here are the list of headphones that I have listened to for nearly a day each through the LG V30 and with the USB Audio Player PRO.
- HiFiMan Edition X Version-2 with 1.5m Arctic Cables with Cardas Cable upgrade
- HiFiMan HE1Kv2 with LavriCables Reference Silver 1.5m upgrade.
- HiFiMan Susvara with Arctic Cables 1.5m
- Advanced Alpha with LavriCables Reference Silver 1.5m upgrade
- Sennheiser HD800 with Moon Audio Silver Dragon 1.5m
- Sennheiser HD280 with upgraded ear cushions mod.
- Audeze LCD-X with Moon Audio Black Dragon 1.5m
- Denon AH-D2000
- Beyerdynamic T1
- Beyerdynamic DT990 600-ohm
- Beyerdynamic AK-T1p
- Brainwavz B400 with LavriCables Signature Silver 1.5m
- AKG K701 with Dekoni Hybrid upgrade.

That last headphone is rather inefficient, but for comfortable listening levels, I never really needed to go beyond level 64 for a good volume level. The sonic signature is well balanced, smooth, dynamic, and with excellent spatial imaging that I haven't quite heard since the era of the Astell & Kern AK380 in copper. Even in low impedance mode, there is still plenty of driving power as the Sabre headphone amp works toward properly driving a headphone. The automatic load sensing is to preserve the battery power of the LG V30 smartphone as I also have other DAP devices utilizing ESS Sabre DAC/amp combos.

Some food for thought.

May 18, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #3,232 of 6,140
Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate all the wonders of the UAPP app, as long as the Wi-Fi signal is pretty good.
I received the LG V30 and played with it in my main system for a few days before leaving town. It was replacing a DFR that I use when listening to Tidal.
I have never been amazed by the sound quality of Tidal, but always enjoyed the convenience. When it comes to Masters, as you might know, it's hit and miss.
Some MQA files sound great, some suck. When you travel a lot, it's not easy to have a strong signal to enjoy all the benefits from UAPP.
So far, regular Tidal with downloads ( if not perfect) is my thing. I don't listen to headphones/ IEMs at home.
I use the LG V30 as a DAP. No Sim card in it. I don't take it to gym or for aerobic. Coming from a 5s, it's huge.
Next move, Hiby R3 I guess.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #3,234 of 6,140
The Tidal app doesn't quite deliver the sonic experience on the V30 that UAPP does. I say this because I had an opportunity to analyze the code and the HiRes Driver for UAPP versus Tidal. The Tidal app basically wrote a simple script to bypass Android's default parameters for the audio driver set. UAPP has customized the HiRes Driver, especially for MQA support specifically for the only global flagship smartphone on the market, which is the LG V30. UAPP has the ability to bypass Android OS Audio Driver thus allowing the full capabilities of MQA and DSD256 so long as the ES9218p is active (via stereo minijack).

As for some whom believed that the MQA decoding hardware is near or embedded with the ES9218p, I confirmed the true specs from two of the reps from CES2018 that the MQA decoder is integrated with the Snapdragon 835 audio core path to the ES9218p. So basically, the Snapdragon processor will conduct all of the processing required for MQA hardware decoding. Once MQA is unfolded, the signal is then sent to the ES9218p DAC and the Sabre headphone amp/line stage 3.5mm stereo minijack output. UAPP has been designed with the HiRes Driver specifically to take advantage of this combination of hardware components in a Flagship Smartphone from LG.

Some food for thought.

Your rep friends may be correct about the MQA decoder being physically located outside the ES9218p chip, since I see no mention of MQA in its spec sheet:

http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=422

It's official; Chord Mojo has been in a drawer since V30 purchase.

If you scroll back through this thread, you'll find V30 fans that sold their Hugo 2s. Still waiting for somebody to sell their Chord DAVE after purchasing a V30... :wink:

May 20, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #3,235 of 6,140
The Anker cable would work I believe it just doesn't physically plug into the iFi Nano?

This one looks very similar and does plug in OK.

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Standard-Adapter-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B0194WSKOM/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1525762237&sr=1-1&keywords=USB+C+to+USB+3.0+A+Adapter+Cable,+CableCreation+Angled+Type+USB+C+to+Standard

I haven't tested it with the V30 but I can if you would like me to.

The Anker cable did fit. But I just couldn't get the iFi to be recognized by UAPP or Neutron. I returned the cable. Thanks for your suggestion, I may order this one soon.

May 20, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #3,236 of 6,140
Just got my V30 yesterday and have been trying it out with Hifiman HE 4XX and Senn HD 650s.
For anyone looking for this info - the V30 can drive both these HPs decently enough. For the HD 650s it automatically detects the impedance and goes into high impedance mode. For the HE4XX I have to trick it into going into high impedance mode by plugging in just the headphone cable first (without the headphone) and then connecting the headphone ( the quad dac turned on the entire time).
I, infact, like the V30 as a source for HE 4xx as compared to modi2 + magni2 as the highs don't sound as rough (shrill) on the V30 as on the magni2. I cannot figure out why exactly. Can someone explain why I am observing this ? Is the modi a considerably colder source compared to V30 ?
Also, as much as I like how the V30 sounds, I cannot live with the blue tint which is visible even when viewing it at the slightest possible angle. It is just so hard to ignore, so I am returning it.

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,237 of 6,140
Guys:
I apologize in advance for the drop-by, but I just got a V30 and am presently confounded/underwhelmed by the audio quality. Specifically:
1. Using relatively efficient (16O) iems, the volume seems to diminish and sq seems more veiled when i turn the quad dac on; and
2. overall volume is lower than expected.
What settings should I use for optimal quality?

May 20, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #3,238 of 6,140
Guys:
I apologize in advance for the drop-by, but I just got a V30 and am presently confounded/underwhelmed by the audio quality. Specifically:
1. Using relatively efficient (16O) iems, the volume seems to diminish and sq seems more veiled when i turn the quad dac on; and
2. overall volume is lower than expected.
What settings should I use for optimal quality?

May I know your IEM? And I would recommend you go read thru how to set hires setting for uapp / neutron in another thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Sound Filter set to either short/slow and sound preset set to normal.

If the volume is too low for your experience. You can use short adapter to make a higher gain.

IMG_20180520_202656.jpg

May 20, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #3,240 of 6,140
May I know your IEM? And I would recommend you go read thru how to set hires setting for uapp / neutron in another thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/

Sound Filter set to either short/slow and sound preset set to normal.

If the volume is too low for your experience. You can use short adapter to make a higher gain.

i appreciate the response--i use many, many different iems, generally ranging from 16-32ohm. I'm generally aware of the adapter trick to get it into high impedance--should i use a regular 3.5mm extension cable and a 75ohm impedance plug? can you send me a link for same?

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-20_10-46-9.png
    upload_2018-5-20_10-46-9.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back