LG V30
May 14, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #3,196 of 6,140
Thank you. UAPP was set up correctly. Poor signal on Hughes dish, UAPP is useless for now.
I am just using downloads on Tidal. All music ( Hi-Fi and Masters) come out with blue color on DF Red/ 48000.0 Hz
Does not make sense.
The high resolution capability and full MQA is only available when the stereo minijack is used. By sending the digital signal to an external DAC, the internal ES9218 is bypassed hence the lowered resolution. There is no work around as the combination of the MQA hardware decoder and the ES9218 are required in order for UAPP and the Total app to sound its best.

Hope this helps

May 14, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #3,197 of 6,140
The high resolution capability and full MQA is only available when the stereo minijack is used. By sending the digital signal to an external DAC, the internal ES9218 is bypassed hence the lowered resolution. There is no work around as the combination of the MQA hardware decoder and the ES9218 are required in order for UAPP and the Total app to sound its best.
That's not quite correct. Certain external DACs like DFR (and those from Meridian) have MQA decoding capabilities. It could be that these issues are due to Oreo (I'm having lots of problems with Oreo's USB-out), but in the past (with Nougat) it has been possible to get bit-perfect streams to trigger full MQA decoding in an external DAC.

P.S. @jeanft - Is your V30 running Android 8?

May 14, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #3,198 of 6,140
That's not quite correct. Certain external DACs like DFR (and those from Meridian) have MQA decoding capabilities. It could be that these issues are due to Oreo (I'm having lots of problems with Oreo's USB-out), but in the past (with Nougat) it has been possible to get bit-perfect streams to trigger full MQA decoding in an external DAC.

P.P.S. If you're using the stock Tidal app, you will not get correct MQA playback through any external device - using any version of Android. You will need UAPP for this.

May 14, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #3,201 of 6,140
I will. Not to crazy about UAPP not being able to play downloaded titles from Tidal. No need for DFR too on phone.
So far I used it in the main system, will try a Mytek or Lumin when back home.
New world for me, playing with Ibasso IT03 and tips. Fun, fun.

May 14, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,202 of 6,140

I should be more clear. Or I think I was. A previous user for whom I was replying to was stating the equipment he had at the time. UAPP HiRes Driver was specifically tailored for the MQA integrated with the Snapdragon processor in concert with the ES9218 DAC, which could only be activated when a headphone or other form of line-out is used. As for external decoding capabilities, I can't say much to MQA as I don't own a single DAC, portable or desktop to have that capability. Due to Oreo using a new Android Audio Driver, UAPP doesn't allow for a clean connection to an external DAC while using the HiRes Driver. The user/listener will have to default to the "Original Android Driver" in order to have any audio being piped from UAPP to external USB DAC. This is from my experience.

On a personal note, the internal ES9218 in concert with MQA is a good match with UAPP as the media player. Audio performance, please read my review as to I don't quite understand why would most of the readers here would put so much into a device that is basically a cell phone with great audio performance. I am an audiophile myself and I don't try to inconvenient myself to this degree.

May 14, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #3,203 of 6,140
I should be more clear. Or I think I was. A previous user for whom I was replying to was stating the equipment he had at the time. UAPP HiRes Driver was specifically tailored for the MQA integrated with the Snapdragon processor in concert with the ES9218 DAC, which could only be activated when a headphone or other form of line-out is used. As for external decoding capabilities, I can't say much to MQA as I don't own a single DAC, portable or desktop to have that capability. Due to Oreo using a new Android Audio Driver, UAPP doesn't allow for a clean connection to an external DAC while using the HiRes Driver. The user/listener will have to default to the "Original Android Driver" in order to have any audio being piped from UAPP to external USB DAC. This is from my experience.

On a personal note, the internal ES9218 in concert with MQA is a good match with UAPP as the media player. Audio performance, please read my review as to I don't quite understand why would most of the readers here would put so much into a device that is basically a cell phone with great audio performance. I am an audiophile myself and I don't try to inconvenient myself to this degree.
The OP was talking about sending USB digital out to an external DAC (Dragonfly Red) and your post stated: "full MQA is only available when the stereo minijack is used. By sending the digital signal to an external DAC, the internalES9218 is bypassed hence the lowered resolution." That's clear. But it's wrong. The resolution isn't lowered by the DFR. DFR is capable of completely unfolding and decoding MQA.

Also, can you clarify the following: "I don't quite understand why would most of the readers here would put so much into a device that is basically a cell phone with great audio performance. I am an audiophile myself and I don't try to inconvenient myself to this degree." What are we putting too much of into our V30s? Too much software? Too much love? Too high of an expectation? And why are you inconvenienced by your V30? If it really bothers you that much, you could always take a hammer to it, and then upload the resulting video to YouTube, no? :wink:

May 15, 2018 at 12:15 AM Post #3,204 of 6,140
The OP was talking about sending USB digital out to an external DAC (Dragonfly Red) and your post stated: "full MQA is only available when the stereo minijack is used. By sending the digital signal to an external DAC, the internalES9218 is bypassed hence the lowered resolution." That's clear. But it's wrong. The resolution isn't lowered by the DFR. DFR is capable of completely unfolding and decoding MQA.

Also, can you clarify the following: "I don't quite understand why would most of the readers here would put so much into a device that is basically a cell phone with great audio performance. I am an audiophile myself and I don't try to inconvenient myself to this degree." What are we putting too much of into our V30s? Too much software? Too much love? Too high of an expectation? And why are you inconvenienced by your V30? If it really bothers you that much, you could always take a hammer to it, and then upload the resulting video to YouTube, no? :wink:

Here is the clarification. And please don't inject anymore personality as I will remain as objective as possible.

I am aware of the MQA capability of the Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC. What I am stating is that when using the USB Audio Player PRO with the LG V30 without any additional hardware attached, the capabilities of MQA are limited as the LG V30 requires a headphone or AUX cable inserted into the 3.5mm minijack (as confirmed by one of the two reps from LG when at CES2018). When a headphone or AUX cable is inserted into the LG V30, the HiFi Quad DAC must be active in order to take full advantage of what UAPP, the HiRes Driver, and Tidal has to offer in terms of MQA. From the reps at LG stated, the MQA hardware decoder is integrated with the development of the Snapdragon 835 processor. The software routing path for the MQA hardware is tied to specific drivers written within the Android OS environment in order for applications such as Tidal to allow access to the MQA's unfolding capabilities.

Then I mentioned USB Audio Player PRO to the reps and their response was - UAPP custom wrote a HiRes Driver with the LG Development SDK to allow full access to the MQA portion of the Snapdragon processor. Their driver must operate in tandem with the integrated ES9218 DAC in order to achieve MQA and Direct Bit Perfect capabilities. If the user/listener decides to use an external DAC with MQA capabilities, they would have to uncheck the MQA V30 flag in the HiRes Driver in order to send the audio to the external DAC with MQA to conduct all hardware unfolding from the perspective of the DAC such as the Audioquest Dragonfly Red for example.

I also contacted the developer for USB Audio Player PRO and they informed me that their HiRes Driver was carefully developed in anticipation of LG launching the V30 and thus included additional support for the integrated MQA capabilities housed within the Smartphone.

And to clarify my "" - I am an audiophile for whom prefers to tweak and match my audio components to the given hardware. I try to not inconvenience myself by carrying additional hardware with the LG V30 that I have mostly because I am on the move most of the time. I shouldn't have injected too much of my personal feelings and for that I apologize. I have found that the driving power of the LG V30 combined with UAPP to be more than enough. The headphones that I have paired with this Smartphone that I have listened to at length during my burn-in phase are 1. Denon AH-D2000. 2. HiFiMan Sundara. 3. HiFiMan Edition X V2. 4. HiFiMan HE-1000 V2. 5. Beyerdynamic T1 Version 2. and 6. Sennheiser HD800. These headphones listed above are the headphones that I have used at least for a minimum of 6-hours each to conduct my review on my own blog site. And I don't review something unless I can have a positive feel to the devices at hand.

My personal preference with my LG V30 is to listen to almost anything with the given headphones in my collection without having to carry additional hardware such as a portable headphone amplifier and or a DAC/Amp combo. It is already quite clumsy to have a pair of silicone bands strapping on to both the phone and amplification/decoding device while walking or sitting in an office/coffee shop. Although I have done this in the past, but lately I have to try not to look like a complete geek and attempt to blend in with everyone else. Socially speaking.

If I have offended anyone with my earlier remarks, then I apologize. Until then though, everyone have a great week and stay well.

May 15, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #3,205 of 6,140
Here is the clarification. And please don't inject anymore personality as I will remain as objective as possible.

I am aware of the MQA capability of the Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC. What I am stating is that when using the USB Audio Player PRO with the LG V30 without any additional hardware attached, the capabilities of MQA are limited as the LG V30 requires a headphone or AUX cable inserted into the 3.5mm minijack (as confirmed by one of the two reps from LG when at CES2018). When a headphone or AUX cable is inserted into the LG V30, the HiFi Quad DAC must be active in order to take full advantage of what UAPP, the HiRes Driver, and Tidal has to offer in terms of MQA. From the reps at LG stated, the MQA hardware decoder is integrated with the development of the Snapdragon 835 processor. The software routing path for the MQA hardware is tied to specific drivers written within the Android OS environment in order for applications such as Tidal to allow access to the MQA's unfolding capabilities.

Then I mentioned USB Audio Player PRO to the reps and their response was - UAPP custom wrote a HiRes Driver with the LG Development SDK to allow full access to the MQA portion of the Snapdragon processor. Their driver must operate in tandem with the integrated ES9218 DAC in order to achieve MQA and Direct Bit Perfect capabilities. If the user/listener decides to use an external DAC with MQA capabilities, they would have to uncheck the MQA V30 flag in the HiRes Driver in order to send the audio to the external DAC with MQA to conduct all hardware unfolding from the perspective of the DAC such as the Audioquest Dragonfly Red for example.

I also contacted the developer for USB Audio Player PRO and they informed me that their HiRes Driver was carefully developed in anticipation of LG launching the V30 and thus included additional support for the integrated MQA capabilities housed within the Smartphone.

And to clarify my "" - I am an audiophile for whom prefers to tweak and match my audio components to the given hardware. I try to not inconvenience myself by carrying additional hardware with the LG V30 that I have mostly because I am on the move most of the time. I shouldn't have injected too much of my personal feelings and for that I apologize. I have found that the driving power of the LG V30 combined with UAPP to be more than enough. The headphones that I have paired with this Smartphone that I have listened to at length during my burn-in phase are 1. Denon AH-D2000. 2. HiFiMan Sundara. 3. HiFiMan Edition X V2. 4. HiFiMan HE-1000 V2. 5. Beyerdynamic T1 Version 2. and 6. Sennheiser HD800. These headphones listed above are the headphones that I have used at least for a minimum of 6-hours each to conduct my review on my own blog site. And I don't review something unless I can have a positive feel to the devices at hand.

My personal preference with my LG V30 is to listen to almost anything with the given headphones in my collection without having to carry additional hardware such as a portable headphone amplifier and or a DAC/Amp combo. It is already quite clumsy to have a pair of silicone bands strapping on to both the phone and amplification/decoding device while walking or sitting in an office/coffee shop. Although I have done this in the past, but lately I have to try not to look like a complete geek and attempt to blend in with everyone else. Socially speaking.

If I have offended anyone with my earlier remarks, then I apologize. Until then though, everyone have a great week and stay well.
Ok, I think I understand your comments now. Thanks for clarifying. I agree with your assessment of the V30 - about not needing to carry loads of audio gear around with you. I wasn't offended (and hope I didn't offend you). I was just trying to avoid misinformation or confusion on this thread.

BTW, I believe the hardware MQA decoding happens on the ESS DAC chip, not the Snapdragon CPU - but your tip about disabling the HiRes driver is a very useful one - that does indeed solve the problem I was having with my USB output under UAPP/Oreo, so thanks for that! :beerchug:

May 15, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #3,206 of 6,140
Sometimes high impedance mode randomly triggers for me since the oreo update (t-mobile) without the use of an adapter. It makes me nervous for the longevity of the jack trying to achieve this consistently though, as I'm not sure why it happens. I have seen other people on reddit mention the same strange behavior since the update, so I don't think it's isolated to just my device.
Mine only with one iem, kz5. Nougat and oreo

May 15, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #3,208 of 6,140
Sometimes high impedance mode randomly triggers for me since the oreo update (t-mobile) without the use of an adapter. It makes me nervous for the longevity of the jack trying to achieve this consistently though, as I'm not sure why it happens. I have seen other people on reddit mention the same strange behavior since the update, so I don't think it's isolated to just my device.
I'm getting quite a bit of this on Andromeda which should not trigger aux at all (I assume you mean Aux and not high impedance). I'm not on Oreo yet, and I've noticed if I insert the plug slowly it behaves better.

May 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #3,209 of 6,140
Can the V30 drive hifiman 4xx and sennheiser hd650s well enough ?
Going through this thread, I see there are multiple opinions. I have a Macbook pro (2015) and it is not able to drive these headphones properly. The Macbook is loud enough but it makes the headphones sound thin and small. The magni2 does a much better job but also makes the 4XX sound harsh in the highs. I have read somewhere that the max power output on the V30 is the same as the Macbook pro ( 2Vrms ).
Can someone who has tried the V30 with HE 400i / HE 4XX confirm that it can drive these when high impedance mode is activated ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back