LG V30
May 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,181 of 6,140
Haven't heard the QP1R or QP2R but if the V30 is able to hang with those DAPs in terms of resolution then thats impressive. Im not expecting the v30 to outperform high end DAPs but as long as it can get me close to performance Id be willing to get rid of my samsung s7 and dx200 for just one device. Thanks for your response.

Just made the switch from an S7 and Mojo to the V30 myself. Hands down, the Mojo is better... at sitting on top of my computer acting as an intriguing pseudo-ornament.

Tried it with my Focal Elear, Shure SRH-1540 and Denon MM400 and it sounds good enough with all of them to have relegated the Mojo to its current spot (on top of the PC). Something that I wasn't expecting is that I'm actually preferring the bundled B&O phones to my RHA T20!

I hadn't planned on upgrading the S7 yet as it's still a brilliant phone, but when I found out about the V30 it all changed. Sound quality differences aside, the V30 makes the S7 feel yesteryear in comparison.

May 13, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,182 of 6,140
Question regarding the impedance adapter. Does it make a difference if the adapter is 75 ohm or 150 ohm, or are we just needing 50 ohms to trigger high impedance? If using an 150 ohm adapter, will that make the phone deliver more power than the 75 ohm, or is the same output from the phone?

May 13, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,183 of 6,140
Question regarding the impedance adapter. Does it make a difference if the adapter is 75 ohm or 150 ohm, or are we just needing 50 ohms to trigger high impedance? If using an 150 ohm adapter, will that make the phone deliver more power than the 75 ohm, or is the same output from the phone?
No. The adapter only serves to activate aux mode. Before listen headphone you will remove the adapter

May 13, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #3,184 of 6,140
No. The adapter only serves to activate aux mode. Before listen headphone you will remove the adapter
I thought the high impedance adapter activates high impedance mode. I can activate auxiliary mode simply by plugging the detachable cable into the phone 1st, and into the headphones 2nd.

May 13, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #3,185 of 6,140
the adapter should get it into high impediance mode, I personally just use a headphone splitter to get into high impediance mode ( plug a 50ohm headphone in first then connect my other headphones then remove the 50ohm headphones ) aux mode is not enough for my headphones

May 13, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #3,186 of 6,140
the adapter should get it into high impediance mode, I personally just use a headphone splitter to get into high impediance mode ( plug a 50ohm headphone in first then connect my other headphones then remove the 50ohm headphones ) aux mode is not enough for my headphones
Nice. I didn't think about a splitter. What headphones are you using?

May 14, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #3,188 of 6,140
I thought the high impedance adapter activates high impedance mode. I can activate auxiliary mode simply by plugging the detachable cable into the phone 1st, and into the headphones 2nd.
Sorry my mystake. Yes high impedance mode

May 14, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #3,189 of 6,140
Do you have a complete unfold of MQA files/Tidal on the phone? So far, I have seen only 48Khz 24b max titles using UAPP. ( when it works)
When I use the DF Red with Master songs with Tidal app only, it goes to blue only as opposed to pink when using it on my PC app.
Can it be used to its best as renderer or do you need a DAC like Meridian Explorer.
Are the downloaded titles on Master/Tidal the same as the one son WiFi?
BTW, UAPP is always buffering/async/ no active tracks. Sent several emails, no answer.

May 14, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #3,191 of 6,140
BTW, UAPP is always buffering/async/ no active tracks.
I didn't fully understand this. Always buffering... so... it never plays? What is asynchronous and how did you determine that?
Why would you expect any sound at all if there are no active tracks? Maybe Davy didn't understand your problem. Can you explain in more detail?

BTW, I'm also having some glitches with Tidal playback under Oreo with UAPP (clicks and gaps in the playback). I'm also unable to do USB-out with UAPP & Oreo. Has anybody else been able to use their V30 as a digital transport with UAPP under Oreo?

May 14, 2018 at 3:50 PM Post #3,192 of 6,140
I guess the buffering is Wi-Fi related. Poor signal location. Not at home now.
Some new songs on Tidal app will play right away, some will buffer all the time. Nothing will happen on UAPP.
Back to downloaded Masters from Tidal app, I don't seem to get the full signal on the DF Red since it's blue light not pink. The volume is very low compared to headphone out.

May 14, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,193 of 6,140
Do you have a complete unfold of MQA files/Tidal on the phone? So far, I have seen only 48Khz 24b max titles using UAPP. ( when it works)
When I use the DF Red with Master songs with Tidal app only, it goes to blue only as opposed to pink when using it on my PC app.
Can it be used to its best as renderer or do you need a DAC like Meridian Explorer.
Are the downloaded titles on Master/Tidal the same as the one son WiFi?
BTW, UAPP is always buffering/async/ no active tracks. Sent several emails, no answer.

To activate MQA, you need to (in UAPP) go to Settings. Tap on the "Internal Audio Driver" and set it to the HiRes Direct Driver. Tap the Back arrow and click on the HiRes Audio menu and then tap on HiRes driver flags. Make sure that the checkbox for MQA V30 is checked. Tap the Back icon and then migrate to Bit Perfect mode. Make sure that it is set in either On or When Possible.

Restart the player to apply the changes.

It should work just fine after that.

There are subtle differences in the sonic signature between MQA and non-MQA streamed titles from Tidal. There is better transparency and overall musical nature is improved with MQA versus non. for more information, please visit my short review of the LG V30 at www.theaudiophileworld.net

May 14, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #3,194 of 6,140
Thank you. UAPP was set up correctly. Poor signal on Hughes dish, UAPP is useless for now.
I am just using downloads on Tidal. All music ( Hi-Fi and Masters) come out with blue color on DF Red/ 48000.0 Hz
Does not make sense.

May 14, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #3,195 of 6,140
Sometimes high impedance mode randomly triggers for me since the oreo update (t-mobile) without the use of an adapter. It makes me nervous for the longevity of the jack trying to achieve this consistently though, as I'm not sure why it happens. I have seen other people on reddit mention the same strange behavior since the update, so I don't think it's isolated to just my device.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back