LG V30
May 10, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #3,155 of 6,140
I have LG V30 and it can drive my HiFiMan HE400i just at full volume but not at its best, they really need a decent amp

You need to invoke the "external device" mode on it. ( plug a jack extension / angle adaptor first without the headphone, then plug in headphone. The "hi-fi- sound" tab will show "external device". )

I have tried using that while auditioning the Sundara. It will get me up to "more than loud" territory at about 55~60/75 volume.

May 10, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #3,156 of 6,140
the v30 cant really power the He-4xx - you will need an amp same with the fostex T5rp mark 3. more efficient planars like my HEX V2, and my isine 10's in high mode are no problem for the V30
Alrighty. Disappointing, but it is what it is. HEX V2 is way, way out of my price range. Any other suggestions for over ear PM cans to use with the V30 under 3 bills?

May 10, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #3,160 of 6,140
Does the LG v30 have the best DAC on the phone market? Are there any high end phones that can compete with high end daps?

I would say generally yes. Only the Japan-only Onkyo Granbeat is superior. However, as mentioned numerous times here, as good a 'phone' as it is, it can't complete with a dedicated DAC, not necessary in resolution, but in volume. As many can attest, the V30 simply does not have enough power to drive 99% of the planar headphones out there to realize their full headroom capability. Ever an inexpensive choice like a Hiby R3 would be superior there.

HOWEVER, if the main goal is device consolidation (as is mine) it's does a pretty darn good job and there's plenty of (dynamic) cans that sound great with it.

Check this link...
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv30/comments/78j4y4/the_headphone_post_high_end_headphones_compared/

May 10, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #3,161 of 6,140
I would say generally yes. Only the Japan-only Onkyo Granbeat is superior. However, as mentioned numerous times here, as good a 'phone' as it is, it can't complete with a dedicated DAC, not necessary in resolution, but in volume. As many can attest, the V30 simply does not have enough power to drive 99% of the planar headphones out there to realize their full headroom capability. Ever an inexpensive choice like a Hiby R3 would be superior there.

HOWEVER, if the main goal is device consolidation (as is mine) it's does a pretty darn good job and there's plenty of (dynamic) cans that sound great with it.

Check this link...
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgv30/comments/78j4y4/the_headphone_post_high_end_headphones_compared/

Thank you!

May 10, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #3,162 of 6,140

Check this link...

The LG G6 which is essentially identical in the DAC output side of things, definitely has enough juice to drive the Sundara and the Aeon Open + Closed phones to volumes that are too loud for me. It drives a HE800s reasonably well too, but that's really pushing it pretty hard.

You just need to invoke the "external device" mode. The low impedance values of these planars will not make the phone switch to high-gain mode as it auto detects and sets its own gain values.

Not into the LCD territory perhaps but I have not attempted those.

May 10, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #3,163 of 6,140
Thank you!
everything must be seen in the right light.an object like the lg v30 can not work miracles. i had several headphones(including planars) in the past(in a recent time when an high-end headphone was around 1500-2000 dollars)
actually my iem is westone w30 and i have a really high quality in my ears, comparable to my old large system

May 10, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #3,164 of 6,140
everything must be seen in the right light.an object like the lg v30 can not work miracles. i had several headphones(including planars) in the past(in a recent time when an high-end headphone was around 1500-2000 dollars)
actually my iem is westone w30 and i have a really high quality in my ears, comparable to my old large system

Will be using this with Legend X so power isnt an issue. Im currently using a dx200 and very satisfied with the details and seperation its able to produce. But the thought of being able to consolidate 2 devices into 1 intrigues me as long as the v30 can get me close to dx200 performance. I will just go ahead and order a used v30 to do a side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back