LG V30
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #3,002 of 6,140
I'm not sure if this is actually working, but I might found a way of obtaining high impedance mode (50Ω) by using my Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250Ω and a 3.5mm adapter so my 1More Quad Driver and B&O Play H3 IEM's can be tricked into high impedance mode.

I connected the adapter to my DT 880 and then plugged it in to the LG V30 obtaining high impedance mode, remove the DT 880 and then plug in whichever headphone I want to listen to.
This maintains the V30 in high impedance.

I just ordered the Dunu 3.5mm 75Ω Impedance Adapter Plug too...already being shipped.
I guess this can be a good work around until it gets here.

If anyone has more info or comments regarding this method...working or not working, please let me know.

I guess I was a bit late...

Don't bother with the Dunu adapter. The phone WILL read it as a high-impedance device, but there is no gain increase at all.

The one thing to look out for when buying 3.5mm adapters is if they have a TRRS plug (three rings) and your original headphone cable doesn't. If you plug the headphone to the adapter, then the adapter into the phone and then remove the headphones the phone will somehow recognize it as everything being unplugged. At least, that's been my experience with the FosPower 4-inch adapter and my Pinnacle P1s with the 'audiophile' cable. (The cable with the mic originally worked fine, but that one went bad, and the replacement will NOT trigger high-impedance mode.)

Also, if you choose to return the Dunu adapter, be careful with what option you choose. I originally said it was defective and the vendor denied my claim.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #3,003 of 6,140
If you wanna go to high imp. Mode, you need an adapter 3.5 to 3.5 connect with high impedance cans like HD650/800 then when phone detect high imp, you pull out the cans and attach with K10.
Don't bother with the Dunu adapter. The phone WILL read it as a high-impedance device, but there is no gain increase at all.

The one thing to look out for when buying 3.5mm adapters is if they have a TRRS plug (three rings) and your original headphone cable doesn't. If you plug the headphone to the adapter, then the adapter into the phone and then remove the headphones the phone will somehow recognize it as everything being unplugged. At least, that's been my experience with the FosPower 4-inch adapter and my Pinnacle P1s with the 'audiophile' cable. (The cable with the mic originally worked fine, but that one went bad, and the replacement will NOT trigger high-impedance mode.)

Also, if you choose to return the Dunu adapter, be careful with what option you choose. I originally said it was defective and the vendor denied my claim.

Thanks for the information.

It's a bit confusing...so the Dunu 3.5mm 75Ω Impedance Adapter doesn't work as originally described to increase impedance in order that the V30 triggers High Impedance mode with the additional gain?

If I was to plug in my 3.5mm LifeProof extension adapter to the V30 and then attach the Dunu impedance adapter, will it trigger the high impedance mode with gain?
My next step would to be to unplug the Dunu and then plug in my 32Ω IEM headphones and the high impedance would still be activated as long as the 3.5mm extension is still plugged in and not removed...right?

From my experience via my Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ω and Lifeproof extension adapter, my 1More Quad Driver IEM does obtain the gain in 50Ω High Impedance mode.
Won't the Dunu be the same?

Please educate me.

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #3,004 of 6,140

It's a bit confusing...so the Dunu 3.5mm 75Ω Impedance Adapter doesn't work as originally described to increase impedance in order that the V30 triggers High Impedance mode with the additional gain?

If I was to plug in my 3.5mm LifeProof extension adapter to the V30 and then attach the Dunu impedance adapter, will it trigger the high impedance mode with gain?
My next step would to be to unplug the Dunu and then plug in my 32Ω IEM headphones and the high impedance would still be activated as long as the 3.5mm extension is still plugged in and not removed...right?

From my experience via my Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ω and Lifeproof extension adapter, my 1More Quad Driver IEM does obtain the gain in 50Ω High Impedance mode.

Please educate me.

-Correct. In my experience, there is no additional gain using the Dunu adapter by itself. If someone has successfully used it, please let us know.

Like I said, the thing to look out for is the plug on your 3.5mm adapter. If the plug on your 3.5mm adapter has three rings (TRRS) and you connect the Dunu (which only has 2 rings on its plug (TRS)), the phone will read that as high-impedance. Once you remove the Dunu from the 3.5mm adapter, the phone thinks everything was removed and it goes back into aux mode.

trrs-diagram1.jpg

Apr 10, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #3,005 of 6,140
Umm I haven't tried DUNU adapter solution yet so please read with grain of salt. If I am wrong please correct me.

IMO, if you stack cable extender> DUNU 75 ohm > your IEM/can of choice together, It should read as high IMP. Because summation of resistane is 75+ your IEM's impedance so it is more than 50 of course.

Then you pull out DUNU 75 ohm and put your iem/can back with cable extender

I think it is equal to what we've done by attach cable extender to high imp can like HD650/800/Beyer 250ohm

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #3,006 of 6,140

Please educate me.
i have the dunu and it works without problems. you need to attach the extension with the dunu. after remove the dunu and connect your headphone

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #3,007 of 6,140
Your source need a lower impedance than your IEM in order to keep the signal clean. If it's not the case, there is no easy trick to reduce hiss/noise.

This is not always true, Etymotic research actually sell a 75 ohm impedance adapter for their ER4P's that improves their accuracy in terms of frequency response. That being said any multidriver IEM needs to be driven with their designed amplifier output impedance in order for their crossover to work as designed. It is anyone's guess as to what impedance that is in most cases as most manufacturers are mum on the issue. If one was to measure the output impedance of Shure's companion stage amp you would know what is suitable for Shure IEM's for example. Many multi driver EIM manufacturers don't have such an amp so it is anyone's guess as to what they are designed for in terms of output impedance.

Driving multidriver IEMs with a different output impedance amp than designed for alters the crossover frequency. A higher output impedance will cause tweeter crossover frequency to shift downwards & the woofer crossover frequency to shift upwards creating a peak in the frequency response at the crossover frequency & just the opposite in the case of a lower than designed output impedance. Output impedance must be factored in when designing crossovers.

That being said it is better to have the sin of omission than it is to have the sin of commission in this case, in other words, it is better to have a dip at the crossover frequency than a peak as peaks are more noticeable than dips as long as they are relatively narrow band & not too deep.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,010 of 6,140
-Correct. In my experience, there is no additional gain using the Dunu adapter by itself. If someone has successfully used it, please let us know.

Like I said, the thing to look out for is the plug on your 3.5mm adapter. If the plug on your 3.5mm adapter has three rings (TRRS) and you connect the Dunu (which only has 2 rings on its plug (TRS)), the phone will read that as high-impedance. Once you remove the Dunu from the 3.5mm adapter, the phone thinks everything was removed and it goes back into aux mode.

trrs-diagram1.jpg

Umm I haven't tried DUNU adapter solution yet so please read with grain of salt. If I am wrong please correct me.

IMO, if you stack cable extender> DUNU 75 ohm > your IEM/can of choice together, It should read as high IMP. Because summation of resistane is 75+ your IEM's impedance so it is more than 50 of course.

Then you pull out DUNU 75 ohm and put your iem/can back with cable extender

I think it is equal to what we've done by attach cable extender to high imp can like HD650/800/Beyer 250ohm

i have the dunu and it works without problems. you need to attach the extension with the dunu. after remove the dunu and connect your headphone

Thanks for the help.

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #3,013 of 6,140
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #3,014 of 6,140
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,015 of 6,140
I just wanted to let you all know about this amazing little product, which uses the same ESS quad DAC you have in your V30s, but has none of the nasty re-sampling issues that LG forgot/couldn't-be-bothered to fix:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...usb-dac-transport-es9218p-and-just-99.874859/

I had a chance to listen to it at the recent SoCal CanJam. It's pretty awesome. :o2smile:

I am also looking forward to seeing it coming in my country.

The only drawback is there is no balanced output but I admit this device really have all in one solution to music lover. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back