LG V30
Mar 12, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #2,701 of 6,140
I just purchased a set of 1More E1010 Quad Driver IEMs for $130.00 shipped.
I was wondering if anyone here have any experience with them...especially paired with the LG V30.
I've read and watched several reviews and almost all praise the audio that these produce...Z Reviews can't be wrong about these!

I know that they are only 32 ohms impedance and I would probably do the "AUX" mode trick.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
The quads work very well with the V30 in normal mode. No need for additional gain.

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #2,702 of 6,140
Really strange: the kz zs6 is recognized like normal, the zs5 like aux

Mar 12, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #2,704 of 6,140
I don't have that with my ZS5. It recognizes them as normal with both my stock microphone cable and my upgraded KZ cable.
Now i disconnected and connected and appears normal mode. Aux was better LOL

Mar 12, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,705 of 6,140
The quads work very well with the V30 in normal mode. No need for additional gain.
You seem very knowledgeable on the V30 and it's outputs.

So here is my question. Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't get it.

If Aux is a line-out output, why are guys running it into their headphones directly by first plugging in an Aux cable to fool the V30 into feeding a line out signal thinking its running into to an externally amplified device?

Is it not truly a line out signal?

I'm just not clear on how this works well or at all and why people are doing it.

Does the V30 not truly put out a line out signal in Aux? Is there a different type of line out signal I'm not aware of?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #2,706 of 6,140
You're right. Aux is line out to an amp. I don't know if it's able to feed directly a power amplifier. The line out i think is 2 volts

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #2,707 of 6,140
I recently tested out a bunch of these wraps or skins, and this is one that didn't work out for me. (PhantomSkinz was the one I liked - it provides coverage with a single piece of urethane.) This Clear Coat film has various cut-out piece for the sides, which need to be installed very carefully to ensure they don't peel up at the edges. Also, be aware that none of these skins are going to save your V30 from a fall! I have this one spare, so if anybody in the US is interested in a free skin for their V30, just pm me your address.

20180312_140721.jpg

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #2,708 of 6,140

If Aux is a line-out output, why are guys running it into their headphones directly by first plugging in an Aux cable to fool the V30 into feeding a line out signal thinking its running into to an externally amplified device?

I'm just not clear on how this works well or at all and why people are doing it.

Does the V30 not truly put out a line out signal in Aux? Is there a different type of line out signal I'm not aware of?
Line out is just a gain amount of 2v output. Some headphones need more gain, so users trick the phone to provide line level output so the headphones have more volume to work with. The V30 essentially has 3 gain modes, normal, aux, and high - depending on your headphones, they might need a different amount of gain than what the phone automatically detects when you plug them in, so that's why people need to trick it. The V30 does have line level output in aux mode (2v at max volume, I assume).

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #2,709 of 6,140
Hi @Mmurin, There's a lot of really useful stuff in your last post (and those from @HiFiChris) which I'll need more time to digest. I have both audacity and RMAA (I'm not as familiar with the latter), but most of my measurements have been done with REW.

I think I understand what you're doing - you're not using the phone as a USB DAC, but creating a sample sweep file from RMAA, playing it back on the DAP/phone and then recording the result in Audacity and then comparing the two in RMAA, correct? So when you say "mp3 playback", you're encoding that frequency sweep into mp3 yourself?

I have one other question about your post. You said "if the DAC is used all player have the same measured sonic performance". That's good. But then how did you reach the conclusion that all these various music players gave differing high-frequency roll-offs? I presume you explicitly turned the HiFi DAC off for those measurements? Is that right?

Do you have a short description of the contents of each of those wav files?

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #2,710 of 6,140
I think I understand what you're doing - you're not using the phone as a USB DAC, but creating a sample sweep file from RMAA, playing it back on the DAP/phone and then recording the result in Audacity and then comparing the two in RMAA, correct? So when you say "mp3 playback", you're encoding that frequency sweep into mp3 yourself?

All correct. I record it on my PC's creative x-fi. Just one detail: RMAA generates a standard test tone to be played on the device under test, and then compares the recorded playback with its master test file to build its statistics on sonic performance. It really is a 5-click process.

I have one other question about your post. You said "if the DAC is used all player have the same measured sonic performance". That's good. But then how did you reach the conclusion that all these various music players gave differing high-frequency roll-offs? I presume you explicitly turned the HiFi DAC off for those measurements? Is that right?

HiFi DAC is always-on, except to test its performance against Qualcom's standard DAC. By sonic performance I mean RMAA's figures on noise, dynamic range, crosstalk etc..
Concerning the frequency response I directly look at the curve. Strangely RMAA's recorded performance on that one is unreliable. I validated this also with pink noise playback at 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz. And frequency response-wise the result was the same as in RMAA's curve, except than strangely RMAA's can classify as good performance a freq resp curve rolled off at 15 kHz, which produces a nasty audible alteration in music playback.
To wrap-up, both for cases with Hi-Fi DAC on and off, ideally frequency response curve shall be flat. If it isn't, in my opinion there is a problem.

Do you have a short description of the contents of each of those wav files?

The description is code named as player used on android-test file encoding format for playback.

Anyway all this could possibly have been caused by resampling. So the fact that V30 seems to be free from these problem, might mean that resampling issue has been fixed.
But I leave this topic clarification to you lucky V30 owners .

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #2,712 of 6,140
Some notes to add: I've been using the Ibasso IT01 with my V30+ in normal and aux mode. And I'm finding that I really prefer it in normal mode. It's an easy IEM to drive (sensitive? is that the right term in this instance?) but I feel in aux mode it somehow becomes too much. On the other hand, I like my KZ ZS6 in aux mode. The same with my ATH-IM70. Both of those sound great in aux mode with the volume anywhere from 25 - 35 depending on the track using either my FLACs in Neutron or Tidal. For non-iem's, the ATH-M50x is really thin sounding in normal mode and must always be used in aux mode imho.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #2,713 of 6,140
Line out is just a gain amount of 2v output. Some headphones need more gain, so users trick the phone to provide line level output so the headphones have more volume to work with. The V30 essentially has 3 gain modes, normal, aux, and high - depending on your headphones, they might need a different amount of gain than what the phone automatically detects when you plug them in, so that's why people need to trick it. The V30 does have line level output in aux mode (2v at max volume, I assume).

Planar models especially (even low impedance ones) seem to have a tough time being driven to enough volume by the V30 normally--so the AUX trick works well to give them a little more oomph.

Although personally i think 'normal' mode sounds a bit cleaner--but maybe it's just a placebo :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #2,714 of 6,140
All correct. I record it on my PC's creative x-fi. Just one detail: RMAA generates a standard test tone to be played on the device under test, and then compares the recorded playback with its master test file to build its statistics on sonic performance. It really is a 5-click process.

HiFi DAC is always-on, except to test its performance against Qualcom's standard DAC. By sonic performance I mean RMAA's figures on noise, dynamic range, crosstalk etc..
Concerning the frequency response I directly look at the curve. Strangely RMAA's recorded performance on that one is unreliable. I validated this also with pink noise playback at 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz. And frequency response-wise the result was the same as in RMAA's curve, except than strangely RMAA's can classify as good performance a freq resp curve rolled off at 15 kHz, which produces a nasty audible alteration in music playback.
To wrap-up, both for cases with Hi-Fi DAC on and off, ideally frequency response curve shall be flat. If it isn't, in my opinion there is a problem.

The description is code named as player used on android-test file encoding format for playback.

Anyway all this could possibly have been caused by resampling. So the fact that V30 seems to be free from these problem, might mean that resampling issue has been fixed.
But I leave this topic clarification to you lucky V30 owners .
Thanks again for all this useful info! I will try to follow up as soon as I find the time.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,715 of 6,140

I've forced AUX on my HD660S and even my SE846's. Sounds no better and just leave on auto. The SE846's sound worse via Aux as you hear background hiss and can only listen at under 30 on volume or destroy your hearing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back