LG V30
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,686 of 6,140
You will need UAPP v4 developer alpha to make the most of the internal DAC. You would need to contact developer to see if you can have access to it.
i bought uapp yesterday and i´m quiet happy. i have hifi and master. the developer version you refer will be available in future like upgrade?

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #2,688 of 6,140
Dear community.
I measured here

Dear all,
I write this post to highlight how much the player choice can affect the sonic quality of our android devices.
Please ignore my preceding posts on the topic, as only with this one I completed and re-analyzed all the measurements.
My focus here is on my LGV20.

I tried measured to measure my V20 H990DS non B&O with RMAA as explained here :

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...urements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2.800208/

with the mobile loaded with sennheiser ie80 (small load).

For the tests I played RMAA test file in different formats for with different players,with eq off and DAC on.

Concerning various sonic performances, essentially I checked with crosstalk and intermodulation distorsion that the DAC was effectively used.
Notable results:
- if the DAC is used all player have the same measured sonic performance
- rocket player was unable to use the DAC (worse values than the others)
- AIMP only used the DAC with audiotrack method

Then I checked that the frequency response was flat, by looking at the "frequency response swept sine" line; the results are summarized in this table :

Untitled_zpsmy51dvu2.jpg

It is very eye-catching the various roll-off at high frequency.
The format which behaves the better is opus.
I suppose this is due to the fact that is natively encoded at 48 kHz, thus by-passing Android re-sampling.

Some remarks:
- I also tried a test with less efficient heaphones and a 75 ohm impedance adapter in the measurement loop for 1 or 2 cases, and found the same frequency response as the preceding cases.
- the only value seriously affected when switching the dac off was stereo crosstalk.
- I compared the results with my old lumia 820, using foobar for windows phone. The test shows a marked roll-off similar to aimp for the V20, but if the wasapi option is chosen the rolloff frequency increase, as in the other players for the V20.
- due to the degradation coming from the lossy formats, the measurements of the Lumia are on par. with the ones of the V20.
- this high frequency roll-off is audible and quite nasty (e.g. metal music, brass or string rich instruments music , e.g. jazz, classical...)

Final thoughts:
- concerning sonic quality, this is not a beautiful show. The frequency response shall be flat ("transparent"), and altered only willingly by equalizers
- I still believe the biggest impact on sonic quality, even more than earphones / speakers is the quality of the recording
- I don't believe high-res music brings any sonic improvement
- I am perplexed of the tests of some websites (e.g. gsmarena) which measure the sonic performance of smartphones, sometimes defining it excellent, while posting a frequency response image showing high frequency roll-off as the one I measured here
- concerning the format choice I chose opus, which is natively 48 kHz (-> no resampling), free, very performant (transparent from 128 kbps, according to these people https://wiki.xiph.org/Opus_Recommended_Settings )
- concerning the player choice, among the ones which have a flat frequency response with opus, I chose AIMP, which supports multiple queues with automatic bookmarking, and supports well opus playback.

Here's the link with the recorded audio files, which you can feed to RMAA, if you wish it.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/729222/V20.zip

the sonic performances of my V20 and I was horrified to find how much the encoding format and player choice affected it.
Anybody care to provide their opinion on this topic for the V30?

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #2,689 of 6,140
I mentioned on a previous post that after upgrading to Oreo I do not hear the upsampling artifacts anymore.
Dear community.
I measured here

the sonic performances of my V20 and I was horrified to find how much the encoding format and player choice affected it.
Anybody care to provide their opinion on this topic for the V30?

Interesting post - thanks for sharing. I recently made some measurements from my V30 using a 2L test track. I did not see a roll-off like you were experiencing with Neutron (check the last figure in the following link):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...ks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/page-6#post-14083552

Perhaps the earlier version of Neutron you were using had some limitations? I can't confirm any measurements on a V20, as I've never owned one - sorry.

P.S. I'm not familiar with "Folder Player"(?) but how does this allow flat FR content from an mp3 all the way to 22 kHz? That's impossible. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,690 of 6,140
I wanted to give a quick shout-out to a company I promise I have no association with, and did not receive free-samples from. Ever since I bought my V30, I've been looking for a very thin TPU case - the sort of case that's so thin you don't know it's there. I just want protection from scratches and minor drops - I don't plan on throwing my phone from tall buildings, so don't want anything bulky. I found a case like this for my S8 (made by Casearmy), but was never able to find one for the V30. You will find TPU cases for the V30 (the best I found was by Turtle Armor), but they're all much thicker than the TPU case I had for my S8. The problem I have with this is bulk. The V30 is already a bit wider than I'd like when using one-handed; I'm not into plus-sized phones. So I eventually gave up with the case idea and looked at the wraps/skins available. Most of the skins available (IQ Shield, Clear Coat, etc.) are poorly designed, with separate little individual pieces that stick all the way around the edges. The PhantomSkinz skin for the V30 is one piece that wraps around the sides and perfectly fits over even the tiniest holes for the speaker grills and two mics. It adds some grip and scratch protection, but no bulk:

20180311_165507.jpg

20180311_165437.jpg

20180311_165319.jpg

If anybody knows of an extremely thin (< 0.5 mm TPU) case for the V30, please share! Otherwise, for those of you that just want a minimal look and no extra bulk, I recommend PhantomSkinz:
http://phantomskinz.com/

Mar 11, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,691 of 6,140
This would be huge. Just give me an all in solution with no mess and I'm sold.

I think for some who are used to summit-fi sound and Astell & Kern DAPs and CHORD products there could be gripes.

But for me coming from a 300$ Sony headphone amp plugged into ipad(wrapped in a grocery bag for portability) streaming Spotify, this is that no mess solution.

I cannot believe what im hearing at times, and luckily enough its coming out of the headphone jack of my damned smartphone that I use all day for texting and browsing and GPS. No mess. Physically tethering gear together is gone, its great.

I have heard of people driving HD 650, Ether Flow C and Audeze LCD MX4 right out of the v30 headphone jack. And they claimed it sounded great, better with Hugo.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #2,692 of 6,140
I'm not really into IEMs but I did want to let people know about this massdrop item. Just like the ORAs I'm waiting for from Kickstarter this is made from a state-of-the-art graphene 12mm driver and is a perfect spec to kick in the high impedance mode on the v30. Good price...and I'll bet this is a really great sync with this phone.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/tfz-king-pro?referer=MCKGV5

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #2,693 of 6,140
I just purchased a set of 1More E1010 Quad Driver IEMs for $130.00 shipped.
I was wondering if anyone here have any experience with them...especially paired with the LG V30.
I've read and watched several reviews and almost all praise the audio that these produce...Z Reviews can't be wrong about these!

I know that they are only 32 ohms impedance and I would probably do the "AUX" mode trick.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 12, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #2,694 of 6,140
for anyone still wondering about v30 and DFR sound comparison.. I have both of them and I will try to compare them. However this based purely on my own preferences.

I think DFR is a better than V30 but not much. Because for me DFR sounds much more neutral than v30. While v30 sounds bright, and in some songs it's just become too bright for my taste. still digital filter is so fun to play with

If you have DFR and thinking of getting v30 for an audio upgrade I don't think you will need it. You won't notice it even you might feel disappointed.

However as a smartphone v30 is awesome especially coming from v20. The display is as good as samsung's, it is fast and its battery life simply a winner. v30's battery performance probably is the best out of all other phone released last year.

Cheers!

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #2,696 of 6,140
Interesting post - thanks for sharing. I recently made some measurements from my V30 using a 2L test track. I did not see a roll-off like you were experiencing with Neutron (check the last figure in the following link):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mus...ks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/page-6#post-14083552

Perhaps the earlier version of Neutron you were using had some limitations? I can't confirm any measurements on a V20, as I've never owned one - sorry.

P.S. I'm not familiar with "Folder Player"(?) but how does this allow flat FR content from an mp3 all the way to 22 kHz? That's impossible. Am I misunderstanding something here?

Folder Player is just a folder oriented player, a good one though.
When I say flat frequency response is up to 20 kHz, not 22.

Mar 12, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #2,697 of 6,140
hello at all
i have buy the v30+ and use whit fiio a5 and Brainwvz b400 (on my house use senneihser hd600 whit v30+ and fiio )
i am very happy , sound is greath whit tidal master quality , but in on some occasions I find the sound too rich .. i think the problem is the fiio , if i want change for improve quality sound , vocal and trebble .. which amp should I buy?
thx

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #2,698 of 6,140
hello at all
i have buy the v30+ and use whit fiio a5 and Brainwvz b400 (on my house use senneihser hd600 whit v30+ and fiio )
i am very happy , sound is greath whit tidal master quality , but in on some occasions I find the sound too rich .. i think the problem is the fiio , if i want change for improve quality sound , vocal and trebble .. which amp should I buy?
thx

None. Try the HD600 without the Fiio and see what you think.

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,699 of 6,140
hello at all
thx
what do you mean too rich(in che senso)?

Mar 12, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #2,700 of 6,140
nel senso che rispetto al suono che esce dal v30+ senza ampli mi sembra piu pompato del normale , fino a risultare un pelo michiato e confuso .. senza una buona separazione musicale ..
e me lo fa sia con le hd600 che con le brainwavz b400 . per quello mi e venuto da pensare a una qualche influenza musicale portata del fiio a5 .
cmq suona benissimo e solo una ricerca del clasisco pelo nell uovo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back