LG V30
Mar 11, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #2,671 of 6,140
Fair enough - apart from the "3 times the price" argument. There's always a premium for any type of new equipment.
Who knows what state the battery would be in if you purchased a V20 now - even a "new" one.

Considering a V20 battery costs literally 7 bucks or less to replace, that shouldn't be a concern for anyone. The cost of replacing a V30 (through professional means, not DIY PITA) battery could be as high as $75 at least.

As far as software updates...always a concern with phones. However, I would think that people would just continue to use it as a DAP since the entire phone will still be functional as such until the hardware burns out.

I am pretty bummed to not have the additional filters on the V20, the MQA functionality, or the additional battery life everyone is raving about here. Also the aptX HD option. I have had (so far) amazing battery life on the V20 using local files (and even some Spotify over wifi) so if the V30 has better battery over the V20, consider me jealous.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,672 of 6,140
This looks like a fine device - has anyone tried it with AKG headphones ( K800 & K700 series ? ) Looking for a mobile solution... Chord Hugo 2 was first on my list, but it probably is too clumsy for me.
Have the AKG Q701...great pairing.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #2,673 of 6,140

This is good info. I've been doing null tests myself for a friend of mine with MQA Vs. HiRes Vs. CD quality. MQA is much adoo about nothing at least for the consumer but quite a lot for Bob Stuart and the MQA company. It does not offer higher quality than CD without decoding nor even decoded. The "artifacts" associated with unprocessed digital audio are in fact part the process of band limiting. Removing these "artifacts" creates other problems that are worse than the original "artifacts". My friend invented some of the tools that could do some of the same tasks in the analog domain & admitted that such tools if over used created unwanted artifacts that were audible. Used as intended for mild to moderate noise reduction could be fairly transparent but used in excess to try to obliterate the noise which it could lead to noise gating which can cause for example a loss of reverb information in the recording due to clamping once the reverb fell below a preset value. This can happen actually with any signal that fell into the noise gate clamping region.

This clamping action can be used to eliminate ringing in the digital domain by limiting it's action to the frequencies where this ringing is likely to happen. as you will notice in the photos of the spectrum analysis provided in the quoted link there is indeed a clamping action in the spectrum where ringing is likely to happen as that part of the spectrum is actually gone from the spectrum analysis which is right near the nyquist cutoff frequency but then continues after the cut off frequency unabated. The net result is ultrasonic additions that the normal digital filters remove & it is this filtering that causes the appearance of ringing. the ringing appearance happens strictly because the higher frequencies have been removed that would have for example allowed for a perfect square wave to be created. A perfect square wave appearance requires that there be no band limiting at either end of the spectrum. Digital audio in contrast requires that the spectrum be band limited. Eliminating the ringing appearance by necessity restores the higher frequency components of the square wave but the signal is no longer band limited & this creates distortion artifacts that can be dumped back down into the audio band through intermodulation with the sample frequency.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,675 of 6,140
Just a sidenote. I contacted LG tech support, after posting on android forums lookimg for solution to why I did not have any haptic feedback on keyboard key presses.

It took me nearly a month to realize that battery saver was causing this. Ive been using Mid-level battery saver.

Ive taken it off and have taken only a slight hit in battery life in order to get real feel button hits on keyboard. But with Mid-level battery saver on battery life is solved. For a full 13 hour day of light use it makes battery a complete non-issue for me.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,676 of 6,140
Next week I'll buy myself a V30 as an (audio) upgrade from a Google Pixel XL. But in advance I've already bought uapp and man that's a nice piece of software. I used to only use Neutron for Hires playback, but to my ears uapp sounds better. And with Tidal streaming possible (and as it seems needed for proper 44.1 playback on V30) i can't wait to listen to it with my B&O H6 1st gen.

You will need UAPP v4 developer alpha to make the most of the internal DAC. You would need to contact developer to see if you can have access to it.

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2,677 of 6,140
So I've been on Oreo (vzw) for a few days and I couldn't remember but wasn't there something baked into Oreo that caters to high fidelity audio better then previous versions? Was it only the Bluetooth that was changed?

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #2,678 of 6,140
Just a sidenote. I contacted LG tech support, after posting on android forums lookimg for solution to why I did not have any haptic feedback on keyboard key presses.

It took me nearly a month to realize that battery saver was causing this. Ive been using Mid-level battery saver.

Ditto for me as to why i wasn't getting the always-on info screen (time/date/etc)...it took me a while to realize any battery-saving mode kills that feature.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #2,681 of 6,140
So I've been on Oreo (vzw) for a few days and I couldn't remember but wasn't there something baked into Oreo that caters to high fidelity audio better then previous versions? Was it only the Bluetooth that was changed?
Is that an official update? I'm asking because I've got a v20 on the way with android 7 as stock. Would be nice if Oreo was officially ready for v20 as well.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #2,682 of 6,140

I mentioned on a previous post that after upgrading to Oreo I do not hear the upsampling artifacts anymore.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #2,683 of 6,140
Is that an official update? I'm asking because I've got a v20 on the way with android 7 as stock. Would be nice if Oreo was officially ready for v20 as well.
Yeah it's official. Not sure on v20

I mentioned on a previous post that after upgrading to Oreo I do not hear the upsampling artifacts anymore.
I must have overlooked that post. That's good to hear. On my cars Kenwood head unit it seems the volume on the aux is lower then it was before . Only noticed on my SiriusXM app might be the app itself but about the only thing I've noticed so far.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,684 of 6,140
Yeah it's official. Not sure on v20

I must have overlooked that post. That's good to hear. On my cars Kenwood head unit it seems the volume on the aux is lower then it was before . Only noticed on my SiriusXM app might be the app itself but about the only thing I've noticed so far.

Make sure you have turned the volume all the way up in your phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back