LG V30
Jan 25, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #2,313 of 6,140
Quick question, I don't have this device.
Can I use quad dac and all it's goodies with 16ohm headphone without rooting the phone?

The Quad HiFi DAC is functional with "all" headphones/IEMs...it just needs to be activated/turned on from the menu.
The impedance of the headphones/IEMs will reflect how the DAC/Amp configures the audio output of the headphone/output jack.

Jan 25, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #2,314 of 6,140
Quick question, I don't have this device.
Can I use quad dac and all it's goodies with 16ohm headphone without rooting the phone?

Further to above, some highly sensitive, low impedance IEMs reveal noise from upsampling that's done by the LG music app, but this can be overcome using Neutron as your player app

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,315 of 6,140
FWIW
i used the neutron player for nearly 4 days with the recommended settings (enabling generic driver, Hi-Res codec+follow source frequency) while disabling dither & sonic filter options.
i tested neutron before i test the LG stock player so i don't run into oversampling issues.
yes it sounds a little different than the stock player, even by using high impedance headphones i can tell (fuller sound by a hair+harsher treble), however i wouldn't call it better, as the stock is also cleaner sounding (less perceived noise) by a hair, to be honest i would call it a negligible difference.
after all, the stock player is faster, has better navigation experience & it has way more volume steps.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,316 of 6,140
after all, the stock player is faster, has better navigation experience & it has way more volume steps.

Neutron's UI is clunky and takes a lot of getting used to, that's for sure. The volume step issue is being worked on. In the meantime, just back out of the app temporarily to get your fine-grained volume control back.

I have a major issue with the LG music app, and it'll probably shock some of you to hear it has nothing to do with sample rates :wink: The problem is its folder navigation. I organise my SDcards into folders for each artist or category of my choice then sub-folders for each album/track. There are too many music apps (including LGs) that do a terrible job of indexing and displaying browse-by-artist. For example, I have folders full of audio test tracks and LG's app spews them all over the place, to the point they're completely impossible to find. LG's navigate-by-folder only shows a huge list of all sub-directories. This is totally useless to me. I use 256 Gb cards, which are almost full to capacity, so I don't have time to wade through the entire contents of my SDcard.

Nobody else have that problem with the LG music app?

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #2,317 of 6,140
Neutron's UI is clunky and takes a lot of getting used to, that's for sure. The volume step issue is being worked on. In the meantime, just back out of the amp temporarily to get your fine-grained volume control back.

I have a major issue with the LG music app, and it'll probably shock some of you to hear it has nothing to do with sample rates :wink: The problem is its folder navigation. I organise my SDcards into folders for each artist or category of my choice then sub-folders for each album/track. There are too many music apps (including LGs) that do a terrible job of indexing and displaying browse-by-artist. For example, I have folders full of audio test tracks and LG's app spews them all over the place, to the point they're completely impossible to find. LG's navigate-by-folder only shows a huge list of all sub-directories. This is totally useless to me. I use 256 Gb cards, which are almost full to capacity, so I don't have time to wade through the entire contents of my SDcard.

Same problem on my LG V20 and on the G5 SE of my wife

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #2,318 of 6,140
Neutron's UI is clunky and takes a lot of getting used to, that's for sure. The volume step issue is being worked on. In the meantime, just back out of the amp temporarily to get your fine-grained volume control back.

maybe it has a few indexing problems, yet it has a very nice song search feature (which applies the song search on your entire library -just like apple- unlike other players which restrict their search function within the same album you're browsing)
in neutron i have to switch into songs navigation in order to find my songs using the search feature, while in the stock player i can do it while im browsing my albums (which is what i usually do).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,320 of 6,140
FWIW
i used the neutron player for nearly 4 days with the recommended settings (enabling generic driver, Hi-Res codec+follow source frequency) while disabling dither & sonic filter options.
i tested neutron before i test the LG stock player so i don't run into oversampling issues.
yes it sounds a little different than the stock player, even by using high impedance headphones i can tell (fuller sound by a hair+harsher treble), however i wouldn't call it better, as the stock is also cleaner sounding (less perceived noise) by a hair, to be honest i would call it a negligible difference.

It also cuts off the start of every DSD track...incredibly annoying for sure.

...but on the positive side its the *only* app that "effortlessly" plays hi-res DSD files natively and purely with no SW trickery (and no EQ/DSP available to gum things up)--the way it should be. if they would just fix that infuriating clipping!

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #2,322 of 6,140
my dream setup 30+ & Aeon Flow Open, how those sound like? How does it compare bass to other open planars?

The bass on the Aeon Open is quality. Is fast with great impact and more than enough quantity to satisfy most. Surprisingly good bass!

The problem is they are only 13 ohm so they do not trigger high impedance mode. Aux mode can in principle drive them but in my opinion you want/need high impedance mode. I use my daps to drive them. The Aeon Open needs the same amount of power as my Beyer Amiron which are 250 ohm.

Jan 27, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #2,323 of 6,140
The bass on the Aeon Open is quality. Is fast with great impact and more than enough quantity to satisfy most. Surprisingly good bass!

The problem is they are only 13 ohm so they do not trigger high impedance mode. Aux mode can in principle drive them but in my opinion you want/need high impedance mode. I use my daps to drive them. The Aeon Open needs the same amount of power as my Beyer Amiron which are 250 ohm.

why not just do a famous plug trick on v30+ to trigger high impedance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back