LG V30
Jan 10, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #2,117 of 6,140
Just joined the club! Really stoked about this phone
Enjoy.....it is a great phone with great sound. Just don't fall into the trap of this thread and worry about what I won't do for you enjoy it for what it does.

Jan 10, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #2,119 of 6,140
i haven't really started back-reading - so once i do, i'll know what you mean. it'll be my source if i'm too lazy to bring my DAP with me. :ksc75smile:
Good news is depending on your DAP quality you may not need to carry your DAP ever.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #2,120 of 6,140
I keep coming back to this thread for user feedback. I have a great portable setup already mostly listening to my own flac tracks or Tidal via UAPP, currently on an S7.

To buy a V30+ outright will cost we ~£580 but will audio quality be any better than what I'm already getting from using UAPP bit perfect with Dragonfly Red.

As you can see, not much more than having inline with headphones & low power drain from phone.

Other issue I have is stores don't seem to have them where I am to actually see one in the fleash for the concern over the screen quality. Can it do Tidal bit perfect without using UAPP app or can UAPP to bit perfect to internal dac? (and Spotify ?)

I mostly use my Shure SE846's while mobile and my Sen HD660S at home. Will the SE846's have issues with noise/distortion as its only 9 Ohm and thought I read there were issues?

pic.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #2,121 of 6,140
I keep coming back to this thread for user feedback. I have a great portable setup already mostly listening to my own flac tracks or Tidal via UAPP, currently on an S7.

To buy a V30+ outright will cost we ~£580 but will audio quality be any better than what I'm already getting from using UAPP bit perfect with Dragonfly Red.

As you can see, not much more than having inline with headphones & low power drain from phone.

Other issue as stores don't seem to have them where I am to actually see one in the fleash for the concern over the screen quality.

I don't have a dragonfly but I will say one thing you will gain is not carrying that mess of stuff in your pocket

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #2,122 of 6,140
I don't have a dragonfly but I will say one thing you will gain is not carrying that mess of stuff in your pocket

I didn't think it was a mess actually?? Just adds slightly to length of earphone cable with small weight. Only main downside is the inline controls don't work via the Dragonfly red.

I've tried some DAP's recently that to my ears don't sound as good as DFR so don't want to make same mistake with a phone (recently used ZX2, X5III, ZX300).

If anyone can comment on V30 vs DFR purely for SQ plus also the other bits I raised, thanks.

Spending £580 for replacing 200mm length added to my earphones is a big spend if no sound quality gain.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2,124 of 6,140
I didn't think it was a mess actually?? Just adds slightly to length of earphone cable with small weight. Only main downside is the inline controls don't work via the Dragonfly red.

I've tried some DAP's recently that to my ears don't sound as good as DFR so don't want to make same mistake with a phone (recently used ZX2, X5III, ZX300).

If anyone can comment on V30 vs DFR purely for SQ plus also the other bits I raised, thanks.
I have seen worse in the pocket, without a doubt, many stacks I have tried come to mind. Obviously, it is not as clean as a single device.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #2,125 of 6,140
I had a Mojo. I bought a v30. My Mojo is dead and I'm not bothered because the v30 sounds that good.
Hi!
I'm having trouble making a decision....
So, my first option was to get a Mojo and use it with my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact. Then, I realized the sound quality of the V30 and I started to have doubts. In recent days, I have even more doubts, since I've been reading a lot about the Cayin N5ii. I know these 3 options have advantages and disadvantages and there's no perfect solution. But I wonder if anyone had or have the same kind of questions...
The portability issue is important to me, I listen to Flac files and I also use Tidal.
Thanks a lot for any input!
I have mostly FLAC (and I use Tidal as well). For a streamlined solution, the LG V30 can't be beat. I love not having to worry about hooking up another device. It's always with me and works well in all circumstances. I mostly listen with my Grado 125e's which aren't high-ohm but need a little more juice on quiet classical tracks so I have FosPower's Aux adapter which puts the V30 in aux mode which is enough. I also use LG Tone's Platinum bluetooth headset (with Comply foam eartips) for workouts which support aptX HD for some great sound). So focused listening, background "work" time and chores & workouts are all easily supported. Nice.
Just like the best camera is the one you have with you, so too for portable music listening.

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2,126 of 6,140
I picked up the v30 yesterday and it sounds great with my isine 10's neutron player eq'd. I tried it briefly last night with my hifiman edition x and it didn't get loud enough - I will try to trick it into high impediance mode like I did with the v20 and he it that helps. For the person asking above about this phone and a half descent dap ie. fiio x5 3rd gen which I also have there is not much of a difference between the 2 for sound quality, the lg is much bigger screen / better battery life, etc. but if you are buying the lg v30 to sound significantly better you will be disappointed

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,127 of 6,140
. For the person asking above about this phone and a half descent dap ie. fiio x5 3rd gen which I also have there is not much of a difference between the 2 for sound quality, the lg is much bigger screen / better battery life, etc. but if you are buying the lg v30 to sound significantly better you will be disappointed

Thanks. I had the X5III and found the DFR better so looks like I will stick to what I have.

Jan 10, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,128 of 6,140
Thanks. I had the X5III and found the DFR better so looks like I will stick to what I have.

V30 is good. If your looking for an all-in-one solution for portable use, its hard to beat. But if you are happy with your phone and dac, i would skip the v30. As a phone its behind samsung, and the qc is, meh.

with level matching and using the same track over and over, the v30 doesn't lose out much to the mojo and is on par with the x7.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,129 of 6,140
As a phone its behind samsung...
Disagree, the V30 is right up there with the Note 8.

Note 8 has a better screen, more RAM, better front cam and pen.

V30 has better audio, much lighter, better cell phone reception (geekyranjit review), better rear camera (especially in low light+manual mode, wide angle lens, portrait mode can be achieved through Pixel's camera mod), battery life, military grade build and better fingerprint position.

Design is preferential but I prefer the more ergonomic V30 and truer 16:9 aspect ratio which isn't too narrow with a much longer footprint.Quite uncomfortable holding it.

The Note 8 may have a cleaner UI, but I use a modded Pixel launcher which works a charm. Snappy and fluid with no lag.

CPU/GPU are identical and some apps are faster on the V30 and some on the Note 8.

My personal experience going from a Note 5, 7 and then V30 is the V30 has been the most enjoyable experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back