LG V30
Dec 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,831 of 6,140
The Note 8 doesn't suck, merely pointing out the reasons why the V30 is better. But of course, this is subjective. No one is wrong here.

I agree the Note 8 screen is better but it's not in a league of its own in my view. The extra RAM shows no real world advantage in side by side tests on Youtube. The front camera is also better but I'd disagree on the build. The Note 8 feels more toyish and the V30 is more solid in my hand.

I already mentioned the reasons why the V30 is better in an aforementioned post. While we disagree on the overall better phone, it's clear.

A) If you want a better screen, more RAM, better front camera and pen, GET THE NOTE 8.
B) If you want better audio, better rear camera, better battery life, military grade build, better fingerprint position, GET THE V30.

The design and UI is all preferential while the CPU and GPU are identical. Price could also be a factor where you live.

The RAM absolutely makes a difference. Play YouTube in the background and do other stuff, it'll shut down every so often on the v30, but never on the Note.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #1,832 of 6,140
The RAM absolutely makes a difference. Play YouTube in the background and do other stuff, it'll shut down every so often on the v30, but never on the Note.
I meant significant real world difference. Shut down? I've never experienced a shutdown OR lag when multi-tasking. :D

I agree the Note 8 has a better screen, front camera, RAM and it has the Spen.

Do you however agree the V30 has better audio, battery life, durability (Military Grade), rear camera and fingerprint position?

It's a question of how much each feature means to you as I couldn't care less about the front camera or Spen.

To me it ultimately comes down to screen vs audio. The Note 8 screen is better BUT not as much as the audio is better than the V30.

I'd say Note 8 screen 9/10, Audio 6/10. V30 screen 8/10 Audio 9/10.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,833 of 6,140
Yea me nether i have not experienced youtube crash in multitasking. I use split screen with google map

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #1,834 of 6,140
Only thing on the note 8 I miss is the Spen, otherwise I prefer the V30. Note 8 was too tall an did not fit well in my pocket. I love the built quality, screen, fingerprint sensor on the V30. Oh and yes, sound quality is awesome on the V30.

Dec 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,836 of 6,140
Im not going to dive into why someone would need to high gain mode but I do think some info about using impedance adaptors to enable high gain is wrong.

Once the v30 is in high gain mode you can unplug the impedance adaptors from your headphone extension and plug the head phones into the extension. As long as you use an extension of some sort and don't unplug it from the headphone jack of the phone it will stay in high gain mode.

Leaving a impedance adaptors plugged in defeats the pourpose. Using it when you first plug into the phones jack then unplugging it will get you where you wanted to be (if you so desire)

Don't even get me started on this. There's a whole debate over on the XDA forums about this and people are under the impression that using that adapter is giving them better sound quality because the phone says it's in "high impedance mode," they don't get that keeping that adapter connected is defeating the purpose and altering the sound.

I did originally suggest that they use an extension, get the phone in high impedance mode using the adapter, then remove the adapter and connect their headphones. However, that trick seemed to work with the V20, but the V30 drops the high impedance mode once you remove the adapter according to some people who tried it. I don't know for sure if they're doing it correctly because I haven't been able to try it myself. I'm still waiting on the impedance adapter to arrive. I detailed out the instructions step-by-step, so I tend to believe the couple of folks who tried it. Apparently (and unfortunately), the V30 is more difficult to trick than the V20 was using this method.

And to answer your other question, high gain mode would be nice to use with planar magnetics that have a low impedance but need a ton of power.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #1,837 of 6,140
Yes lg needs to get this fixed so planars can work as they should!!!!

I called Lg support today and asked about the dac functionality.

They says quality is same as in normal connected mode or high impedance or the aux. Only thing change is the volume can go higher in other 2 modes compare to normal. And also in normal mode the quad dac works in full range it doesnt cut any dacs to make 2 of 4 only, always in quad no matter what mode its in.

If dac is set off then its tha regular from snapdragon that kicks in i guess.

So there you have it guys impedance mode is only for higher volume!

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #1,838 of 6,140
hi, I have q8 (quad dac) and had lg g6 (EU version, no quad dac). Both phones have been bought in Europe. While q8 is a bit louder, in my opinion both phones lack a bit of power (in terms of volume output) when I compare to htc 10 or m8.
My question - does v30 has stronger volume output than q8 or g6?
would help me a lot to decide on my next purchase, thanks

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,839 of 6,140
hi, I have q8 (quad dac) and had lg g6 (EU version, no quad dac). Both phones have been bought in Europe. While q8 is a bit louder, in my opinion both phones lack a bit of power (in terms of volume output) when I compare to htc 10 or m8.
My question - does v30 has stronger volume output than q8 or g6?
would help me a lot to decide on my next purchase, thanks

Cant compare them with the other phones. But can tell you that v30 is rated to run 600ohm cans. So as long its not planars magnetics also if you get headphone with 50ohm and + you will be in high impedance mode so yea you would definitely have enouf volume to blow your ears mate :wink:

Dec 20, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #1,840 of 6,140
I meant significant real world difference. Shut down? I've never experienced a shutdown OR lag when multi-tasking. :D

I agree the Note 8 has a better screen, front camera, RAM and it has the Spen.

Do you however agree the V30 has better audio, battery life, durability (Military Grade), rear camera and fingerprint position?

It's a question of how much each feature means to you as I couldn't care less about the front camera or Spen.

To me it ultimately comes down to screen vs audio. The Note 8 screen is better BUT not as much as the audio is better than the V30.

I'd say Note 8 screen 9/10, Audio 6/10. V30 screen 8/10 Audio 9/10.

I'm talking about real world. Again, I owned a Note 8 for a little while. The in-the-hands difference is palpable. The extra RAM makes multitasking easier.

It has better audio, yes, rear camera is negligible depending on your opinion of color saturation, but the front camera on the Note 8 is in another league compared to the v30's. Yeah the fingerprint sensor is in a MUCH better place but come on.

Durability? I dunno about you but I haven't been throwing my phones out of any cars so I can't speak on that.

I love the v30 and I'm keeping it because of the audio, but I will say flat out that without the Quad DAC I would not have this phone.

I feel like a lot of people are saying these things based on either very brief experiences with the two phones or just having read about the N8. After roughly a month with each, the audio is what keeps me on the v30.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #1,841 of 6,140
I'm talking about real world. Again, I owned a Note 8 for a little while. The in-the-hands difference is palpable. The extra RAM makes multitasking easier.

It has better audio, yes, rear camera is negligible depending on your opinion of color saturation, but the front camera on the Note 8 is in another league compared to the v30's. Yeah the fingerprint sensor is in a MUCH better place but come on.

Durability? I dunno about you but I haven't been throwing my phones out of any cars so I can't speak on that.

I love the v30 and I'm keeping it because of the audio, but I will say flat out that without the Quad DAC I would not have this phone.

I feel like a lot of people are saying these things based on either very brief experiences with the two phones or just having read about the N8. After roughly a month with each, the audio is what keeps me on the v30.
Don't get me wrong, the Note 8 is a great phone and let me stress you are not wrong, I just question when you say the V30 is your favourite phone but the Note 8 is the better phone. Look at it this way, If both phones had a Quad DAC, I would still get the V30 as it simply is a better design and build for me. The Note 8's elongated size is comical and while the screen is better, it's not much better. The V30 fits like a glove in my hand and looks like a man's phone. Not some tech project or rectangular toy/tricorder LOL.

The front camera and pen are a moot point to me as I don't use them and I prefer the V30 rear camera based on side by side picture comparisons. That and the wealth of manual options, wide lens over portrait and hifi audio recording.

You are right, in reality the RAM could be beneficial but I have yet to notice any stutter when multitasking. I set animations down and use the Pixel Launcher and its just as snappy as my friends 5T which is meant to be the best performer of 2017.

The Note 8 ONLY makes sense to me for the marginally better screen and RAM. Everything else, the V30 equals or betters. Audio, ergonomics, design, rear camera, battery life, military grade build and fingerprint position.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #1,843 of 6,140
I don't know for sure if they're doing it correctly because I haven't been able to try it myself. I'm still waiting on the impedance adapter to arrive. I detailed out the instructions step-by-step, so I tend to believe the couple of folks who tried it. Apparently (and unfortunately), the V30 is more difficult to trick than the V20 was using this method.

Hmm that got me curious so I tried it on my v30 just like I did on my V10 and exact same results.
As long as you keep the headphone extension plugged into the phone you can swap headphones out and keep it in high gain mode.

Dec 20, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,844 of 6,140
Hmm that got me curious so I tried it on my v30 just like I did on my V10 and exact same results.
As long as you keep the headphone extension plugged into the phone you can swap headphones out and keep it in high gain mode.

I couldn't reproduce this using the adapter @VI001101106 recommended. Plugging in the adapter, I get aux mode. Plugging in high-impedance (HD800S) headphones to the other end of the adapter, I get high-impedance mode. The second I unplug the headphones from the adapter, my V30 goes back to aux (external device) mode.

FWIW, I'm able to trick it the other way, i.e., plugging the headphones back in a second time, the V30 stays in aux mode. I'll try with a standard TRS adapter next...

P.S. Not that I have any need to use this trick with any of my headphones - I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #1,845 of 6,140
Thanks man. I guess they're either not understanding the steps or there's some difference in the hardware/adapters/cables.
I couldn't reproduce this using the adapter @VI001101106 recommended. Plugging in the adapter, I get aux mode. Plugging in high-impedance (HD800S) headphones to the other end of the adapter, I get high-impedance mode. The second I unplug the headphones from the adapter, my V30 goes back to aux (external device) mode.

FWIW, I'm able to trick it the other way, i.e., plugging the headphones back in a second time, the V30 stays in aux mode. I'll try with a standard TRS adapter next...

P.S. Not that I have any need to use this trick with any of my headphones - I'm just curious.

I think you have to have to initially plug in with the high impedance device to get high impedance mode. The first step should be to connect the extension with the high impedance adapter to the phone, second step is to remove the high impedance adapter. I think it's worked so far for 3 people in this thread. I can't wait to get my adapter so I can try it for myself. Maybe there's just a difference in the adapters/cables/phone causing different people to get different results? I outlined the steps for the people over on the XDA forums here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74837704&postcount=167

Users who are viewing this thread

Back