LG V30
Dec 20, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #1,846 of 6,140
Thanks man. I guess they're either not understanding the steps or there's some difference in the hardware/adapters/cables.

I think you have to have to initially plug in with the high impedance device to get high impedance mode. The first step should be to connect the extension with the high impedance adapter to the phone, second step is to remove the high impedance adapter. I think it's worked so far for 3 people in this thread. I can't wait to get my adapter so I can try it for myself. Maybe there's just a difference in the adapters/cables/phone causing different people to get different results? I outlined the steps for the people over on the XDA forums here https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=74837704&postcount=167
Thanks for all your useful suggestions on this thread! I'll try this out and let you know. I think the TRRS plug might be an issue, because it keeps triggering the Google assistant when plugging/unplugging :)

Dec 20, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,847 of 6,140
Thanks for all your useful suggestions on this thread! I'll try this out and let you know. I think the TRRS plug might be an issue, because it keeps triggering the Google assistant when plugging/unplugging :)

That has happened to me a couple of times when I put too much pressure on the plug sticking out of the phone and it bends slightly. That's why I like using right angled plugs on the phone.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #1,848 of 6,140
Still thinking why wouldnt lg implement the high low gain switch into the menu with the rest of the available option in the dac segment. Is it causing that much trouble???

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,849 of 6,140
Just something they probably dont intend to do. Its already the third generation for this line and they still havent implemented it yet.

Different laws and regulations around the world that they have to deal with. Most likely why they dont intend to put it in.

I use to ask the same thing

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #1,850 of 6,140
So I auditioned a few pairs of closed back cans today at a local shop and ended up buying a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm.

The sound paired with this phone is jaw dropping. Not too accurate or clear but just plain fun. The only drawback is the length of the cable and the size of the earcups. I have a small head. I used the braid trick to make the cable manageable.

I also tried the 250ohm version of the 770's and 880's. I can say by my experience that the 80ohm version is the sweet spot for this phone. The 770 250ohm sounded a little more laid back and the 880's sounded great, but the semi open nature makes them unusable on the subway.

I tried a couple other headphones like a Yamaha and a couple audio Technica's (M50 & M70) but at the end of the day the 770's are one of the only few closed back cans with high impedance that kick the V30 into a higher gear.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #1,851 of 6,140
So I auditioned a few pairs of closed back cans today at a local shop and ended up buying a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80ohm.

The sound paired with this phone is jaw dropping. Not too accurate or clear but just plain fun. The only drawback is the length of the cable and the size of the earcups. I have a small head. I used the braid trick to make the cable manageable.

I also tried the 250ohm version of the 770's and 880's. I can say by my experience that the 80ohm version is the sweet spot for this phone. The 770 250ohm sounded a little more laid back and the 880's sounded great, but the semi open nature makes them unusable on the subway.

I tried a couple other headphones like a Yamaha and a couple audio Technica's (M50 & M70) but at the end of the day the 770's are one of the only few closed back cans with high impedance that kick the V30 into a higher gear.

I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250ohm myself...mostly indoor use and find it to be the best paired with the V30.
Tidal Premium and lossless audio via LG music player or Neutron.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #1,852 of 6,140
I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250ohm myself...mostly indoor use and find it to be the best paired with the V30.
Tidal Premium and lossless audio via LG music player or Neutron.

I agree! The sound was wide open and natural. I wish I could use them in public but I like my volume on the higher side especially on the subway.

Dec 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,854 of 6,140
HAXXSHUEAADPTKT_1_2.jpg
HAXXSHUEAADPTKT_1_2.jpg Guys you wont believe this. I found out that i could use the shure earphone adapter with a volume rocker in it. Its crazy just pluging it to v30 it sets to 50ohm right a way and you get the high impedance mode! That high impedance mode is actualy do improve sq by a lot. Its like hifi music vs mp3 kinda off. Sound stage is even more wide and you get rumble base with shure se846 when its there.
I have to say sq is way better on high impedance sorry but normal mode dont have the power of the high even if set volume up its not the same att all.

One thing to bare in mind if you set the volume rocker on the adapter to max you will hear floor noise. But all you gota do is set phone volume to 1 and then move the volume from adapter down by 1\4 till noise disapear and then just use the phone volume adjuster. Believe me it sound crazzy powerfull and fun. Sound is very clean and unaffected !

https://cosmomusic.ca/headphone-adapter-kit-shure-eaadpt-kit.html

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #1,855 of 6,140
Hey everyone!

I've been reading through the first 50 pages of this thread since I it was due time to replace my aging Z5. I wanted a phone with good audio
and it seems like the V30+ was the only one this generation. But I want to confirm that the V30+ is really what I want as I really love bass
and the lack of an EQ is still holding me back. I have an eq set on my one m7(that I use to play music from spotify) and I'm really liking it.

I really wish I could stop carrying 2 phones and a power bank wherever I go next year.
I don't think my earphones and headphones are hard to drive
(narmoo S1, KZ ZS1, TFZ Series 1, CAL!2, Panasonic RP-HTF600) but would the bass on the V30+ be enough?
I love boomy bass but not to the extent that it ruins the song that I'm listening to.

The V30+ has some things I dislike so if this phone isn't really suitable for a basshead, I might just go with the S8 :/

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #1,856 of 6,140
Hey everyone!

I really wish I could stop carrying 2 phones and a power bank wherever I go next year.

Then just use a Dragonfly Red. I've used it with all my phones and only DAC I've heard better are Mojo & Hugo2 (these much less portable).

Saying that, I'm still hovering over ordering a V30+ myself (currently back to a S7 with my DFR).

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #1,857 of 6,140
Hey everyone!

I've been reading through the first 50 pages of this thread since I it was due time to replace my aging Z5. I wanted a phone with good audio
and it seems like the V30+ was the only one this generation. But I want to confirm that the V30+ is really what I want as I really love bass
and the lack of an EQ is still holding me back. I have an eq set on my one m7(that I use to play music from spotify) and I'm really liking it.

I don't think my earphones and headphones are hard to drive
(narmoo S1, KZ ZS1, TFZ Series 1, CAL!2, Panasonic RP-HTF600) but would the bass on the V30+ be enough?
I love boomy bass but not to the extent that it ruins the song that I'm listening to.

The V30+ has some things I dislike so if this phone isn't really suitable for a basshead, I might just go with the S8 :/

My V30's native music player has a 5 band equalizer with several presets (including bass booster) and also a custom setting that can be saved.

And...fwiw...I am more than happy to get rid of the extra boxes/cables/etc.

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,858 of 6,140
Then just use a Dragonfly Red. I've used it with all my phones and only DAC I've heard better are Mojo & Hugo2 (these much less portable).

Saying that, I'm still hovering over ordering a V30+ myself (currently back to a S7 with my DFR).

I'd rather not have another device draining the already depleting batteries of my phones :/

My V30's native music player has a 5 band equalizer with several presets (including bass booster) and also a custom setting that can be saved.

And...fwiw...I am more than happy to get rid of the extra boxes/cables/etc.

Well that settles it then, spotify uses whatever eq the default player uses :) I guess the v30+ is the phone then.
Although i don't really like big phones(I have small hands). It does claim to pass some "military standard" drop test, we'll see how it really holds up in the military :wink:

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,859 of 6,140
But I want to confirm that the V30+ is really what I want as I really love bass
and the lack of an EQ is still holding me back.

The app that you'll want to use is Neutron. It is currently the only music app that plays back all file formats (including DSD) at native sample rate. Neutron's interface takes some getting used to, but it has a phenomenal parametric EQ, with as many bands as you choose.

Dec 21, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,860 of 6,140
The app that you'll want to use is Neutron. It is currently the only music app that plays back all file formats (including DSD) at native sample rate. Neutron's interface takes some getting used to, but it has a phenomenal parametric EQ, with as many bands as you choose.

Does Neuron handle ISO files--and play DSD bit-for-bit with no Android SRC garbage? I painstakingly converted all my physical 2ch and MCh discs to this format to playback on my Exasound DAC in the main system--on mulitple 256gig flash drives. I would either play them as is via OTG or transfer as is to memory card--I'm not wasting my time extracting again. That's about the only thing format the native LG player *can't* play--and why I'm waffling between the V30, which has the dreaded Android SRC limit for most apps, and the new possible king of DAPs, the killer Hiby R6--which also is Snapdragon based, easily handles that format and has no SRC to speak of.

As for the Note 5? I'm a fan and have had the 1, 3, 5...but this time they went overboard and it's way too damn big and unwieldy. It dropped it out of my pants pockets and it landed in sand--possibly the worst thing to be exposed to. Luckly it's fully waterproof to submerge and remove--but I was done from that point on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back