LG V30
Nov 24, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #1,369 of 6,140
Huge discount on carrier-locked LG V30 here in Canada. $0 or $200 (was $200 or $500 since launch) purchase depending on plan. Perhaps now is the time to finally get one?

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,371 of 6,140
Happy Thanksgiving!

So I installed the eval version of Neutron. It is doing some very strange things. Anyone else having issues? I wanted to test first before springing for the $6

Working as expected for me. I wish I could just browse UPNP devices instead of having to scan them into the media library, but I can live with it. Might help if you explain some of the strange behavior you are experiencing.

Not worth it in my opinion especially if it comes full of bloatware.

Thankfully the ~5 minutes it took to remove apps I didn't want had no affect on the quality of the hardware.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #1,372 of 6,140
Thankfully the ~5 minutes it took to remove apps I didn't want had no affect on the quality of the hardware.

Always amazes me when people will just totally disregard stuff based on silly things. I got mine through TMo, didn't even have any bloatware.

Nov 25, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #1,373 of 6,140
Hi everyone

I plan on getting a meridian explorer 2 for the mqa feature on tidal. If im going to use an external dac, will there even be a point of buying the v30 ? or is the dac on v30 utilized in tandem with other connections ?

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #1,374 of 6,140
Hi everyone

I plan on getting a meridian explorer 2 for the mqa feature on tidal. If im going to use an external dac, will there even be a point of buying the v30 ? or is the dac on v30 utilized in tandem with other connections ?

Just use any phone you like.

In theory, the source might have some impact regarding audio master clock inside. But with human ear, it barely is noticed.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #1,375 of 6,140
Hi everyone

No, none , you will be using the meridian dac trough usb. Trough usb only the meridian dac will be utilized and everything buuilt into your phone/pc/source will be bypassed. Only your usb dac will be doing anything to the audio so any phone that supports usb audio offload will work the same.

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #1,376 of 6,140
No, none , you will be using the meridian dac trough usb. Trough usb only the meridian dac will be utilized and everything buuilt into your phone/pc/source will be bypassed. Only your usb dac will be doing anything to the audio so any phone that supports usb audio offload will work the same.

If I understand correctly Neutron uses the V30 DAC to output through the headphone/aux out, Neutron can route audio out through the USB as well.

As for BT, IMO standard Bluetooth sounds better on the V30 than on my Exynos S6. The V30 does support AptX-HD codec (around 500+Mb/s) but you need receiving hardware that also has the APTX-HD chipset on board (I am waiting for JBL to include this on their BT speaker range).

Also I don't think Tidals' app can unpack the MQA files as of yet.

Hope that helps

Nov 26, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,377 of 6,140
If I understand correctly Neutron uses the V30 DAC to output through the headphone/aux out, Neutron can route audio out through the USB as well.

As for BT, IMO standard Bluetooth sounds better on the V30 than on my Exynos S6. The V30 does support AptX-HD codec (around 500+Mb/s) but you need receiving hardware that also has the APTX-HD chipset on board (I am waiting for JBL to include this on their BT speaker range).

Also I don't think Tidals' app can unpack the MQA files as of yet.

Hope that helps
You ment 500+kb/s, best you cold possibly get is with ldac and that is around 990kb/s.

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #1,378 of 6,140
Hi everyone

I mean, there's till a point in general, but TBH if my main plan was an external DAC I'd get a Pixel 2XL.

Nov 26, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,379 of 6,140
Can anyone try an app called Musixmatch?

I originally started using it for the lyrics plugin but have actually found myself preferring the audio quality over Neutron!

I find the bassline hits just that bit harder while everything else purrs the same as Neutron.

Nov 26, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #1,380 of 6,140
Can anyone try an app called Musixmatch?

It plays hi-res PCM fine, but outputs 44/16 FLAC and all DSD as 48 kHz PCM. Still, if you like the sound of it, I wouldn't worry.

Also if listening ti MQA encoded music using bluetooth will I receive all the benefits of MQA?

There's currently no BT codec that's lossless for all forms of playback (including hi-res). Worse than that though - I've never yet heard a BT headphone that doesn't come with a crappy amp that has a terribly obvious noise floor. So, IMHO, BT is a bad choice for anything - at least until it improves a whole lot. Also, you might want to see the bit below about MQA on Tidal...

Tidal does not yet support MQA through its Android app (you'll find a few 24-bit albums, but these are not MQA), so plugging in an external MQA DAC to the V30 won't buy you anything, unless you simply prefer the sound of that DAC. The Explorer 2 would work via your PC though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back