LG V30
Nov 13, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,246 of 6,140
Strange issue just started with mine today, the dac doesn't appear to be turning on/off as it used to.

Normally when you toggle the dac on/off there is a momentary silence as it switches over and then you can hear the difference. But as of today if I turn it on or off the notification icon changes correctly but there is no gap in the playback and there is no change in the sound.

Nov 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #1,247 of 6,140
Strange issue just started with mine today, the dac doesn't appear to be turning on/off as it used to.

Normally when you toggle the dac on/off there is a momentary silence as it switches over and then you can hear the difference. But as of today if I turn it on or off the notification icon changes correctly but there is no gap in the playback and there is no change in the sound.

Mine did that too but a reboot fixed it.

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #1,248 of 6,140
FYI, there's an updated version of USB Audio Player Pro in the Play Store as of this morning.

Good news for the headphone-output:
It now plays back 44/16 as 44/24, so no resampling - nice job! :)

Intermediate news for the HO:
Hi-res PCM is also playing back properly through the V30 DAC, up to 96 kHz, most of the time. But occasionally it crashes the app.
Does the 44/16 -> 44/24 fix apply only to devices with dedicated DACs (like the V30) or even standard Android devices relying on the Qualcomm DAC?

It's good progress regardless. Appreciate the update and all the work you guys are doing to get this over the line!

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #1,249 of 6,140
Under the settings menu, choose "Play Through Android". That should be enough - however I've found it only works properly with 44 kHz files if you first send it some higher sample rate PCM files. It's not reliable. I strongly recommend Neutron instead. Neutron is able to correctly playback everything other than DSD through the V30's internal quad DAC, and Neutron's output of all formats (including DSD) via USB is bascially equivalent to that of UAPP.

Question, how do you get back the 75 points of volume control back? It only allows it when I'm not in neutron.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #1,250 of 6,140
Does the 44/16 -> 44/24 fix apply only to devices with dedicated DACs (like the V30) or even standard Android devices relying on the Qualcomm DAC?

It's good progress regardless. Appreciate the update and all the work you guys are doing to get this over the line!

This latest update wasn't specifically for the V30, but to support other 3rd party hardware. It's a happy accident that it partially fixed some of the PCM playback issues on the V30.

Question, how do you get back the 75 points of volume control back? It only allows it when I'm not in neutron.

I've not yet found a fix for that. You only get the fine-grained volume control back once you exit the app.

Nov 14, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #1,251 of 6,140
Do you turn on "hardware gain" in audio hardware?

Nov 14, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #1,254 of 6,140
Has anyone here paired up the V30 with the Dunu DN-2000J yet? I use to use it alot with my Chord Mojo and DragonFly Red and they sounded phenomenal (leaned more towards the Mojo). I bought the V30 to eliminate the need to have two devices on the go (Samsung S7+mojo/dfr). Is the V30 a good match up in your opinion?

Nov 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #1,255 of 6,140
Has anyone here paired up the V30 with the Dunu DN-2000J yet? I use to use it alot with my Chord Mojo and DragonFly Red and they sounded phenomenal (leaned more towards the Mojo). I bought the V30 to eliminate the need to have two devices on the go (Samsung S7+mojo/dfr). Is the V30 a good match up in your opinion?

Go to the store and test it out. I can't imagine the V30 being a bad pairing with any IEM.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #1,257 of 6,140
Lg needs to fix the stock app so it plays everything bit perfect. How can you advertise and tout about your hardware but dont have the software to back it up. I just don't get it.

Totally agree with @chillaxing. Most people testing this phone out in a store are going to use the stock LG music app. Granted, they may not know what to listen out for, but there are artifacts from this up-sampling. It's a bizarre oversight from LG.

I'd put the odds of LG ever fixing this at 0%. I've already sent three separate support requests to LG - each of which were supposed to have received a reply within 24 hours. They never responded to any of them. I then called tech support and spent close to two hours being pushed from one person to another. All of them were utterly clueless. They eventually promised me they'd cc me on a support email to the developers, which, of course, didn't happen. I've had similar experiences in the past with LG's tech support. They're pretty much worthless.

I guess it is what it is. The V30 is still a great piece of hardware - IMHO, the best phone available as of November 2017. But to reach its full potential, you'll want some third party apps on the V30 - of which Neutron looks like the clear leader so far. The only real issues with Neutron are the DSD playback via HO (which only works if you convert to 44 kHz PCM - but Dmitry is at least looking into this) and the coarse-grained volume control slider within the app itself, which isn't a deal-breaker for me. Between the stock LG music app for DSD, and Neutron for everything else (including all types of USB output), we're covered for all native sample-rate playback from local storage.

If Tidal can get their act together for streaming native 44 kHz tracks (and ideally, maybe, one-day, MQA too?!?), we'll be home and dry. If there are any other Tidal users out there, please bug them about this. My emails to them pretty much led to a dead-end, but maybe if enough people complain/ask politely...? :wink:

Nov 14, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #1,258 of 6,140
Totally agree with @chillaxing. Most people testing this phone out in a store are going to use the stock LG music app. Granted, they may not know what to listen out for, but there are artifacts from this up-sampling. It's a bizarre oversight from LG.

I'd put the odds of LG ever fixing this at 0%. I've already sent three separate support requests to LG - each of which were supposed to have received a reply within 24 hours. They never responded to any of them. I then called tech support and spent close to two hours being pushed from one person to another. All of them were utterly clueless. They eventually promised me they'd cc me on a support email to the developers, which, of course, didn't happen. I've had similar experiences in the past with LG's tech support. They're pretty much worthless.

I guess it is what it is. The V30 is still a great piece of hardware - IMHO, the best phone available as of November 2017. But to reach its full potential, you'll want some third party apps on the V30 - of which Neutron looks like the clear leader so far. The only real issues with Neutron are the DSD playback via HO (which only works if you convert to 44 kHz PCM - but Dmitry is at least looking into this) and the coarse-grained volume control slider within the app itself, which isn't a deal-breaker for me. Between the stock LG music app for DSD, and Neutron for everything else (including all types of USB output), we're covered for all native sample-rate playback from local storage.

If Tidal can get their act together for streaming native 44 kHz tracks (and ideally, maybe, one-day, MQA too?!?), we'll be home and dry. If there are any other Tidal users out there, please bug them about this. My emails to them pretty much led to a dead-end, but maybe if enough people complain/ask politely...? :wink:

So Neutron unfolds MQA correctly also then? Does Neutron also play .mlp files?

Nov 14, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #1,259 of 6,140
So Neutron unfolds MQA correctly also then? Does Neutron also play .mlp files?

Unfortunately, it appears that it doesn't unfold MQA properly - it plays as a 44 kHz file. Curiously, despite the little MQA logo that pops up on the now-playing screen of the LG music app, it doesn't appear that the LG music app plays these back at anything more than 44/24 either. (Hey, at least they aren't up-sampled!) I am kind of wondering now what all this marketing was about, e.g.: https://www.whathifi.com/news/lg-v30-first-phone-mqa-audio-and-oled-fullvision-display

Look at it this way. According to the good folks at xiph.org, you can't hear the difference anyway:

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

And at least by streaming or re-downloading all your favorite content again in MQA format, you still have the opportunity of contributing to Bob Stuart's retirement fund :wink:

I hope this doesn't mean we have to be holding our collective breaths for a software update from LG? If so, we're all going to die of suffocation.

Nov 15, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #1,260 of 6,140

I listen to mostly 320kbps files, do I only need Neutron when listening to file formats like FLAC and DSD?

Edit: I just tried the evaluation version of Neutron and I don't really like the it. I listen to mostly hard hitting music like metal, so perhaps that's the case.

Poweramp is more forward, pronounced and everything just hits like a ton of bricks. I guess Neutron has more clarity, separation (wider soundstage) but it doesn't hit nowhere near as hard.

Can anyone confirm this or am I crazy? :D

I am listening on a Samsung A8, pre-ordered my V30+ and get it on Friday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back