LG V30
Sep 16, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #151 of 6,140
This is correct. More people are getting V30s now though, to test on carrier networks (like me) so more info will be leaking out. For instance, I'd say the V30+ is on par with the Onkyo DP-X1 (which I also have) in SE mode, for SQ and features, but with a weaker amp: excellent for IEMs, very good for efficient on-ears, and needs a decent external amp for most everything else. There's other things I can't say, that pertain to software and services, but it won't be long before that's out.

IMO, this is the audiophile phone to get, hands down.

I look forward to finding out more...

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #152 of 6,140
Don't know about v10 but the v30 chip got the same sq of v20,g6 and q8 while having in plus digital filters.
Ah the v30 is MQA capable, so if you use HQ music service like tidal hifi this should be a big plus for the future, when MQA codec will be more and more used
EDIT: one more thing: v30 support aptx HD, so you can connect the best sounding wireless cans: this codec can stream until an half of a Mbps so it can't compete to wired headphone, but it's a nice thing if you like it or for some more IEM or cans on the go.
BTW with MQA that has got like 1/1.5Mbps its a nice thing that you can have HQ music on the go with a 3G connection and wired phones.
Looks like Bluetooth aptx HD is the future and I'm looking forward to more Bluetooth aptx HD support on wireless headphones, IEM and media streamers too. I'm definitely getting the LG V30 :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #153 of 6,140
Looks like Bluetooth aptx HD is the future and I'm looking forward to more Bluetooth aptx HD support on wireless headphones, IEM and media streamers too. I'm definitely getting the LG V30 :ksc75smile:
Yeah but I really think Bluetooth will get a massive step up in sound when new generations of codecs will be able to stream at least MQA without any problem , so triplicating at least the actual Mbps capability.

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #154 of 6,140
Don't know about v10 but the v30 chip got the same sq of v20,g6 and q8 while having in plus digital filters.
Ah the v30 is MQA capable, so if you use HQ music service like tidal hifi this should be a big plus for the future, when MQA codec will be more and more used
EDIT: one more thing: v30 support aptx HD, so you can connect the best sounding wireless cans: this codec can stream until an half of a Mbps so it can't compete to wired headphone, but it's a nice thing if you like it or for some more IEM or cans on the go.
BTW with MQA that has got like 1/1.5Mbps its a nice thing that you can have HQ music on the go with a 3G connection and wired phones.
I thought only v10 and v20 were decent sq with ESS dacs. G6 and Q8 also have ESS dacs?

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #155 of 6,140
Depends on region market.
G6 got the ess chip only in corean market and I've seen some people buyin on internet to have it.
Q8 should has it in every market but I don't remember... btw q8 is a smaller v20... but wait to see the street price and drops in few month... you can buy a v20 for 300€ now

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #156 of 6,140
Yeah but I really think Bluetooth will get a massive step up in sound when new generations of codecs will be able to stream at least MQA without any problem , so triplicating at least the actual Mbps capability.

APTX and APTX-HD do not have the bandwidth to carry MQA. APTX is not lossless and is wroughly equivalent to 192kbs mp3

Bluetooth 5.0 may have enough bandwidth, but it will be stretch.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #157 of 6,140
Isn't that what I was saying? Have I bad explained myself?
AptxHD can stream more than 192kbs, the max bandwidth is a bit more than 500kbs so it should also stream a bit more than you re saying but absolutely not any lossless files.
I said that, in the future, new codecs( next gen or after the next one, sure non the actual ones ) should at least be capable to stream MQA files: a lossy file that need a fraction of bandwidth of the lossless file with a very high quality quality compared to the others lossy files (a MQA file needs like 1/1.5Mbps)
:)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #162 of 6,140
This might be my first Android phone. There actually already are quite a bit of videoreviews online, but although they praise the audio capabilities, they do not go into much detail.

Once Android 8.0 becomes available, LDAC at 990kbps may be hard to beat.
from what I understood, Android Oreo gives brands the possibility of supporting ldac, which would mean it could also be left out of LG's version. I hope not, since I would love to test ldac with my MDR-1000X, which does not support aptx-HD, only the regular one. Wonder as well what that quad dac will do with those headphones on a wired connection, and what kind of difference there will be.

Could this drive and LCD-2, if I wanted to?

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #163 of 6,140
Sorry the amp capabilities of the V30 are yet pushed to its limits with the 93.0dB SPL/mW of he-400i, can't do the job with the 90,5dB SPL/mw of LCD-2.
But you could buy a pair of LCD-X :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #164 of 6,140
Yeah, the V30's amp isn't for full-sized cans, you'll need to pair it with a mobile or desktop amp for those. Something like a Pico Slim or even a Fiio E12. I wouldn't use an outboard DAC, unless it's a high quality one, though, the one in the V30 is very good (and it kind of defeats the purpose of buying the V30 in the first place).

Sep 18, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #165 of 6,140
Yeah, the V30's amp isn't for full-sized cans, you'll need to pair it with a mobile or desktop amp for those. Something like a Pico Slim or even a Fiio E12. I wouldn't use an outboard DAC, unless it's a high quality one, though, the one in the V30 is very good (and it kind of defeats the purpose of buying the V30 in the first place).

The V20, G6 and V30 DAC is designed for full size cans. It has nearly 2Vrms output when it senses >50 ohms on the output. It may not be as good as a high end desktop rig, but it has enough output to reach reasonable levels on inefficent headphones that other phones cannot reach.

Can it beat a good desktop rig? No, but that won't fit in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back