LG V30
Sep 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #121 of 6,140
Can this phone drive planarheadphones? I was waiting this phone since some months and I've joined the drop of the he-4xx from massdrop and I'm curious if the v30 will be capable to drive them or I will need something else; the he/400i needs 1.32Vrms to 110db so I think there would be no problems?
It's my first step in the mid-fi world

At mex volume they do a very satisfactory job driving my T50PRs. My HE-500 could sound fairly good, but could use a little more power/volume. It might be ok with the HE-4xx, I think they are more sensitive than the HE-500.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #122 of 6,140
Btw target's SPL requirements for 110dB for these cans are:
HE-400i 1.32 Vrms
T-50RP 0,9 Vrms
T-50RP MK3 2.05 Vrms
LCD-X 0.66 Vrms
HE-500 2.19Vrms

So...I think the v30 could do the job!:ksc75smile:

Sep 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #125 of 6,140
Sep 11, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #126 of 6,140
So if I need to listen music at a certain dB I need that the amp could drive 20dB more than that for peaks, right? If it so the v30( or something like the new pro-ject pre box S2 digital
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=preboxs2digital&cat=s2-line&lang=en ) couldn't drive them at more than 95dB, or I'm wrong?
Well if the V30 is the same as the V20 it can output 1.9Vrms, 2.7V peak.

Also SPL is 20log(... so double the voltage give double the SPL. Also 20dB down from 110dB peak is 20dB + 3dB for peak to rms: 23dB, or divide peak voltage by 14.1

Edit: it's a bit more complex than that, but if you can get 90dBA spl rms at -20dB volume position you have plenty of headroom. If you only like EDM or modern R&B then you only need it at -5dB volume due to the dynamic range of different ends of the music spectrum.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #127 of 6,140
:head_bandage:
I am really trying to understand, I am still reading more info on google, I wanna understand what you're saying, I'm curious about all this and I know I can do it lol
I listen everything,not so much EDM but rock, hip hop, metal and I wanna learn more about classical and jazz.
BTW, I really don't know at what dB I listen music, usually like now I am listening at max volume with some mdr-xb500 from iPhone 6 and I am not pleased, maybe it's just the low quality music (please all you forgive me for this setup but until I have known lg v series I didn't know about all this :sweat_smile:) so I'm trying to understand if when I will get headphones and tidal HiFi the V30 will be a decent starter amp for them or if I will need something a bit more powerful to drive them :)

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #128 of 6,140
:head_bandage:
I am really trying to understand, I am still reading more info on google, I wanna understand what you're saying, I'm curious about all this and I know I can do it lol
I listen everything,not so much EDM but rock, hip hop, metal and I wanna learn more about classical and jazz.
BTW, I really don't know at what dB I listen music, usually like now I am listening at max volume with some mdr-xb500 from iPhone 6 and I am not pleased, maybe it's just the low quality music (please all you forgive me for this setup but until I have known lg v series I didn't know about all this :sweat_smile:) so I'm trying to understand if when I will get headphones and tidal HiFi the V30 will be a decent starter amp for them or if I will need something a bit more powerful to drive them :)

Ok, yes it is confusing, and often the specifications are misleading.

Another problem you are going to have is that the EU has forced most phones to reduce their output to < 0.35Vrms to protect peoples hearing. This means your iPhone can only output 3mW into you headphones. So that would be 111dB peak. This should be enough, especially with the big bass the XB series has. If it isn't more volume you want then it may be the headphones, as the output on the iPhone is better than most.

If you want more you will have to import an iPhone or HTC10 from outside Europe. The V30 will only help you if they allow the Quad DAC into Europe and you engage the high impedance mode. So far the V20 and G6 has not made it to Europe with the Quad DAC incorporated.

Sep 11, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #129 of 6,140
Yeah I was writing about it, I saw the needings of my cans and I was sure about some limitations with my EU iPhone ( just disabled it few minutes ago and it's very nice to have a signal that indicate "volume too high").
I am using them now at the same power as before but the sound doesn't transmits any emotion (except few songs)
The v30 will come in EU with the quad dac, as been said from LG at IFA some days ago, and sure I will engage the high gain mode!:)

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #130 of 6,140
Yeah I was writing about it, I saw the needings of my cans and I was sure about some limitations with my EU iPhone ( just disabled it few minutes ago and it's very nice to have a signal that indicate "volume too high").
I am using them now at the same power as before but the sound doesn't transmits any emotion (except few songs)
The v30 will come in EU with the quad dac, as been said from LG at IFA some days ago, and sure I will engage the high gain mode!:)

Interesting. I'd like to see them get the high impedance mode into Europe.

I find that while people find bass boosted headphones "fun", I think they strip out the timing of the musicians and theyfore the emotional content is lessened.

Try a neutral response headphone. It will take a while for you to get used to the lean sounding bass, but you may enjoy the music more. AKG tend to offer some, like the K550, but you may need a non EU phone to power them.

Sep 12, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #131 of 6,140
I am waiting he-4xx from massdrop that will be shipped like the 20 dec! Was asking if V30 could handle the he-400i for that reason!:laughing:
I have to wait the drop for Christmas, but the last year I did something like this and its like to get a wonderful gift for Christmas, I liked it a lot! :joy:
Btw that should be neutral! For 160€ cans and hybridpad A was a steal (here the he-400i are still priced 300€); it's time to change the sony, I bought them too much screwing time ago... almost 10 years ago... time flies :'(
About the high impedance mod: it's the "full power mode" of the V30: its a phone and the 90% of the headphones and IEM don't need 2V so LG decided to allow to output 2V only with >50Ω cans , so you have to use cans with more of that impedance or use the trick to put in and out an impedance and after the cans or just mod the phone to have them activated just when you want :smile:
LG V30 will come to EU with the quad dac, it's a sure thing, You will be pleased:hand_splayed:

EDIT: I could buy a dac/amp separated from the phone, even a desktop but this phone its so an easy way to start the journey

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #133 of 6,140
you must speak about rms becouse you cannot know how many dynamic power the amp have ,the phone is rated Vrms

You are generally right when it comes to power, as the specifications rarely give enough information. However as SPL is proportional to voltage we can work out the peak SPL.

If the phone has max 1Vrms at clipping and this gives 115dB into a set of headphones, the peaks can be the square-root of 2 volts bigger if clipping is predictable, or 3dB higher.

Sep 12, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #135 of 6,140
Finally Gsmarena states LG V30 has FM radio with RDS data:)

I thought it would as the V20 did and in an early YouTube review I see the radio app in passing.

Now we need a release date and official pricing. LG is terrible about announcing a device then nothing. No release date or pricing info, while pretentiously customers grow restless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back