LG V30
Sep 5, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #91 of 6,140
I said goodbye sammy a while ago. Not because they weren't good phones, they are. They have better screens, better processors, better batteries for the same price point. No bootloop.

LG had better audio. LG wins. This is an audio forum so I guess some here will get that.
I totally agree with you, If Sammy wants us back then they'd better figure out a way to produce an awesome sounding phone.

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #92 of 6,140
Will the FM radio be available in all the regions? For example Samsung S8 has it but only the Snapdragon version where you have to install the next radio application to have FM radio, but the application is not available everywhere in the world.
Very handy the remote control in my LG Flex :)

Sep 5, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #93 of 6,140
Will the FM radio be available in all the regions? For example Samsung S8 has it but only the Snapdragon version where you have to install the next radio application to have FM radio, but the application is not available everywhere in the world.
Very handy the remote control in my LG Flex :)

I noticed the radio app on the V30 during a review I watched. So I'm hoping it available in all areas. I was quite surprised and glad to the the radio app on my AT&T V20. So I'm hopeful.

Sep 6, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #94 of 6,140
I said goodbye sammy a while ago. Not because they weren't good phones, they are. They have better screens, better processors, better batteries for the same price point. No bootloop.

LG had better audio. LG wins. This is an audio forum so I guess some here will get that.
Well....
Pretty much all the first impressions from the press is that the screen on this phone is as good if not better than the S8/+. The processor is the same at least of the US versions [Sami] . Battery hasn't been a winner for Samsung lately even without the Note 7 issues. Samsung tend to cost more at least the flagships do. Bootloop is [real to some, I owned both the V10 and 20 and no bootloop for me the last 2 years] so at least one of your points were valid.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #95 of 6,140
Well....
Pretty much all the first impressions from the press is that the screen on this phone is as good if not better than the S8/+. The processor is the same at least of the US versions [Sami] . Battery hasn't been a winner for Samsung lately even without the Note 7 issues. Samsung tend to cost more at least the flagships do. Bootloop is [real to some, I owned both the V10 and 20 and no bootloop for me the last 2 years] so at least one of your points were valid.

Now perhaps.

But I said a while ago.

Sep 7, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #97 of 6,140
I'm really excited for this phone, and I'm considering trading in my S8+ for it, but I've never had any good experience with LG'S phones.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #98 of 6,140
Sadly We are too small a group to really matter. The general masses don't care about HiFi audio. Maybe one day.

Hopefully LG will be our friend for a long time to come.

I generally agree with you. But we matter enough for the second teir of manufacturers to occasionally put some effort in to differentiate themselves from the leaders of the pack.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #99 of 6,140
I generally agree with you. But we matter enough for the second teir of manufacturers to occasionally put some effort in to differentiate themselves from the leaders of the pack.

Yes, and that's so far LG, ZTE and HTC. Although the S8 and I'm guessing the Note 8 are a step up from Samsung devices from the last two or three years, and definitely better than Google line of phones.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #100 of 6,140
Yes, and that's so far LG, ZTE and HTC. Although the S8 and I'm guessing the Note 8 are a step up from Samsung devices from the last two or three years, and definitely better than Google line of phones.

Don't forget the Chinese brands: meizu, vivo, oppo and many others with esoteric DACs and amps. Just because a small percentage of the world can't get them (USA) doesn't mean they are not available to the larger populations.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #101 of 6,140
I guess there will be less and less hifi smartphones, and we'll all go digital eventually, dac quality will be a headphone thing.

Sep 8, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #103 of 6,140
i think by lg putting in a dac and advertising it will get people to understand it and appreciate it.

ie, I had a friend who was getting a new phone at the same time as i was getting the v10. i convinced hime that the v10 is a good phone, so he got one too. he had a the bootloop problem and got a replacement v20. he ask me one day on how the hifi thing worked on his phone. I told him to toggle the on/off hifi button while music is playing. he did that and immediately i saw the light come on in his head and understood why a good dac chip is important.

So yeah, i think lg will lead people towards the light of hifi

Sep 8, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #104 of 6,140
Don't forget the Chinese brands: meizu, vivo, oppo and many others with esoteric DACs and amps. Just because a small percentage of the world can't get them (USA) doesn't mean they are not available to the larger populations.
Given the lack of support, lack of full LTE bands on most Chinese brands you mention (only Huawei / HTC / ZTE provide global support and all bands), they'll stay grounded on the Chinese market and a few neighbor countries.
To the US, you can add all of Europe, South America, Africa and many other areas where these phones will not be fully functional: small percentage, really ? :D

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #105 of 6,140
I've recently watched some YouTube videos on the V30 vs S8+ comparison and I have to say that the S8+ does indeed produce photos and videos with better dynamics and vibrant colors but I'm very impressed with the wide angle feature of the V30. However, the audio recording of the V30 is way better than the S8+ which sounds like the lower frequencies have been cut off. Audio playback is definitely at a different level with the V30's ESS Sabre Quad DAC and amp which is more capable to drive even full sized headphones with moderate impedance. This is what I've been yearning for when using my S7 Edge, especially with low sensitivity and high impedance IEMs which doesn't play loud enough even at full volume on the S7 Edge. I don't see any improvement in this area with the S8/S8+ or even Note 8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back