LG V30
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #46 of 6,140
It would be nice to see how b&o have tuned v30 this time. Although i don't expect too much from them. It also seems like they didn't focus too much on audio part maybe because they don't want v30 to be a niche product like earlier versions. ESS 9218p seems to be like some modified version of g6 dac.

Yes, it doesn't seem like they put alot of work into audio. It seems like they're losing focus and trying to appeal to mainstream more and replicate Samsung. They removed second screen and removeable battery. That's what set them apart.

In general, there wouldn't be much to talk about in audio. Specifications most of the time is meaningless, and that is why we need head-fi with people tastes, personal opinions to share impressions

But in terms of audio it's not looking that promising. Yes we have to wait and see or hear for sure.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #48 of 6,140
If this offers pleasing enough audio to my ears, I may be done with the world of separate portable devices. I have the G5, and and have listened to music on it. The V30 is less that 2mm bigger in L/W than my G5. I love LG camera set up and this V30 looks even better (larger aperture lens, glass instead of plastic, and higher mpx on the wide lens - which is really a fun lens to work with!).

So I eagerly await review of the audio component. Exciting!

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #49 of 6,140
Yes, it doesn't seem like they put alot of work into audio. It seems like they're losing focus and trying to appeal to mainstream more and replicate Samsung. They removed second screen and removeable battery. That's what set them apart.
I hope lg sells more and more v30. They should also be credited for bringing the whole HiFi game to a different level then what it used to be few years ago although real credit goes to chinese oem's. Still v10 set them apart and i hope this trend continues because no other mainstream oem is focusing on audio.

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #52 of 6,140
I dunno, battery life on the V10 really sucks. I'm really worried about the inability to swap in batteries...

Larger more efficient battery and processor should result in improved battery performance. We shall see. I love being able to swap batteries in my G5, but wonder if including "swappability" led to less emphasis on energy efficiency in the engineering?

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #53 of 6,140
Larger more efficient battery and processor should result in improved battery performance. We shall see. I love being able to swap batteries in my G5, but wonder if including "swappability" led to less emphasis on energy efficiency in the engineering?

In theory... But I'll need to see tests on battery life before I buy. The V10 is truly awful. Not sure how much the V20 improved on that.

And let's all pray that bootloop issues are a thing of the past. I've had at least 4 V10 warranty replacement phones.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #55 of 6,140
But in terms of audio it's not looking that promising. Yes we have to wait and see or hear for sure.

Odd. They've put more effort into audio than the other big names. They carried the work over from previous phones, but on top of that they've added user selectable digital filters and MQA.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #58 of 6,140
The fact that V30 is reported to have THD at 0.00025%.....that is mind blogging......even AK latest flagship has 0.0005 and or 0.0008% of THD
ESS specs ES9218P at -114db THD+N, that is 2db lower than ES9218.
SNR remains the same as ES9218 at 130db.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #59 of 6,140
ESS have had this features for about a decade. The new thing here is that some pre-programmed filters are available on a phone to the user.
maybe they can let user upload custom impulse responses on V40 :ksc75smile:

Sep 1, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #60 of 6,140
Odd. They've put more effort into audio than the other big names. They carried the work over from previous phones, but on top of that they've added user selectable digital filters and MQA.

Hmm... digital filters I can get with third party software like Viper4android so not a biggie to me unless what they offer is better.

MQA is awesome, but there's not alot of streaming services that provide mqa quality music and not too many albums with mqa quality.

I have v10 and v20 and love the audio on both. However, they don't seem to be excited about promoting music capabilities on v30.

Moreover, I hope they prove me wrong. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back