LG V30
Jan 27, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #4,876 of 6,140
...I'd rather give my data to the Russian mafia than to Apple.

Well you won't have to decide about giving it to Google - they already own your life.
Just watch doc mentioned if you can.

BTW Tidal HiFi (none MQA) are bad with a sensitive iem's like the DM6.

Background hiss is present when listening with Tidal app but not UAPP. So not so great to listen offline HIFI Tidal tracks with such iems.

Guessing this is because of Android's 48k upsampling.

Anyone know of Root hack to stop upsampling ?

High impedance adapter is an option that i prefer to avoid as its another item to carry and connect.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #4,878 of 6,140
BTW Tidal HiFi (none MQA) are bad with a sensitive iem's like the DM6.

Background hiss is present when listening with Tidal app but not UAPP. So not so great to listen offline HIFI Tidal tracks with such iems.

Guessing this is because of Android's 48k upsampling.

Anyone know of Root hack to stop upsampling ?

High impedance adapter is an option that i prefer to avoid as its another item to carry and connect.

I agree with all the above points.

Well, if you're an Apple user, you'll be used to carry dongles, so I'd recommend the iFi iEMatch. I have one. It does work at reducing hiss and hiding the effects of the upsampling. I'm afraid I don't know of any current software solution to this.

Jan 27, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #4,879 of 6,140
My 2C on the Off topic.

Here's an insight on how the companies handle your data, since everyone in the world uses the Google and their products or services which are fairly good and useful vs Apple ecosystem lockdown, you must have heard about the Google Dashboard..

Next up the great Apple privacy PR face. We know how deep their lawyer pockets are how they influence bigger corporations for example China's Huawei, started to go against Qualcomm during the year old dispute that sparked with Apple vs Qcomm and others plus the Chinese VPN fiasco also the Chinese govt controlled entity getting keys to the user information. Until recently Google unfortunately started to imitate Apple in worst ways ever possible from OS downgrades to straight out copying and unfortunately many talented devs leaving due to the nature of Android direction with new people at helm (Esp no more Nexuses and imitation iPixel game, Android devs now use iPhones instead of Nexuses). But the biggest standout point was, despite being a corporate machine Google is represented by the employees who are at-least brave enough to push against PLUS actually being the impetus to stop their rekindled china censorship fiasco a.k.a their project dragonfly, that speaks volumes vs the above Apple stances.

Security through obscurity never is a good thing nor it works. It's just a belief, look at the Apple T2 chip controller on its nature (Plus how do they backup the data from the ARM controlled SSD HW BGA soldered trash ? Tools !.) and how any electronic device can be hacked granted with forensics. Also I don't use Alexa (Amazon discussion is on a whole another level, here's a tidbit Exhibit A, Exhibit B) or Assistant, no thanks for data mining or the lack of fundamental thinking shortage and/or the Worst - Windows 10 abomination (Future is grim though, more loss of control).

Plus the star of the show, "Intel ME", "AMD PSP", please google them.This is digital age, a.k.a Oil for next generation. Once you are in grid, no going back (Enter "The Matrix" :darthsmile:), just be smart.

Thank you for your time :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #4,880 of 6,140
... Well, if you're an Apple user, you'll be used to carry dongles, so I'd recommend the iFi iEMatch. I have one. It does work at reducing hiss and hiding the effects of the upsampling. I'm afraid I don't know of any current software solution to this.

I’m not one for carrying dongles such as DF etc and why I opted to buy V30 as a DAP. It got rooted this weekend so I no longer have to carry the right angle adapter for Aux mode. I really can’t be asked to buy and carry high impedance adapter just for offline tidal tracks.

I’m not also happy about the Apple headphone adapter but at least it’s a dirt cheap replacement and from my experience so far - sounds better than V30 when combined with XS MAX.
I have come across few Pixel3 owners that are also fans of using the Apple adapter as it now also comes in USB C connection. Maybe you want to check it out ?

After reading your post I had to jump out of bed (3am!) and go downstairs to test the DM6 with the iPhone as previously I had just assumed it would suffer the same 48khz upsampling issues.

You will be surprised as I was to read that the iPhone with its tiny dongle played Tidal tracks without any hiss at all. I listened to the same tracks in my favourites and no hiss at all listening in the middle of the night. And not only was the hiss missing - dare I say it again, sound was more holographic stereo that made it more immersive and engaging. Something I have already pointed out in previous posts.

This is going to be another annoyance as I want the V30 to be my dedicated DAP. Looks like I’m going to also rely on the iPhone at times as now in the back of my head i know which gives me the better sound when I don’t need to drive high impedance headphones or MQA.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #4,881 of 6,140
My 2C on the Off topic.

Here's an insight on how the companies handle your data, since everyone in the world uses the Google and their products or services which are fairly good and useful vs Apple ecosystem lockdown, you must have heard about the Google Dashboard..

Next up the great Apple privacy PR face. We know how deep their lawyer pockets are how they influence bigger corporations for example China's Huawei, started to go against Qualcomm during the year old dispute that sparked with Apple vs Qcomm and others plus the Chinese VPN fiasco also the Chinese govt controlled entity getting keys to the user information. Until recently Google unfortunately started to imitate Apple in worst ways ever possible from OS downgrades to straight out copying and unfortunately many talented devs leaving due to the nature of Android direction with new people at helm (Esp no more Nexuses and imitation iPixel game, Android devs now use iPhones instead of Nexuses). But the biggest standout point was, despite being a corporate machine Google is represented by the employees who are at-least brave enough to push against PLUS actually being the impetus to stop their rekindled china censorship fiasco a.k.a their project dragonfly, that speaks volumes vs the above Apple stances.

Security through obscurity never is a good thing nor it works. It's just a belief, look at the Apple T2 chip controller on its nature (Plus how do they backup the data from the ARM controlled SSD HW BGA soldered trash ? Tools !.) and how any electronic device can be hacked granted with forensics. Also I don't use Alexa (Amazon discussion is on a whole another level, here's a tidbit Exhibit A, Exhibit B) or Assistant, no thanks for data mining or the lack of fundamental thinking shortage and/or the Worst - Windows 10 abomination (Future is grim though, more loss of control).

Plus the star of the show, "Intel ME", "AMD PSP", please google them.This is digital age, a.k.a Oil for next generation. Once you are in grid, no going back (Enter "The Matrix" :darthsmile:), just be smart.

Thank you for your time :L3000:

Google was created by CIA - End Of.

Jan 27, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #4,882 of 6,140
I’m not one for carrying dongles such as DF etc and why I opted to buy V30 as a DAP. It got rooted this weekend so I no longer have to carry the right angle adapter for Aux mode.

giphy.gif

I really can’t be asked to buy and carry high impedance adapter just for offline tidal tracks.
I could ask you, but maybe you couldn't be arsed to carry one?!? :wink: The iEMatch isn't actually a high-impedance adapter, but I get your point.

I’m not also happy about the Apple headphone adapter but at least it’s a dirt cheap replacement and from my experience so far - sounds better than V30 when combined with XS MAX.
That's a bit curious, because typically the transport is of negligible importance. All the important parts (DAC and amp) are in the dongle, which wouldn't care what model of iPhone it was plugged into.

I have come across few Pixel3 owners that are also fans of using the Apple adapter as it now also comes in USB C connection. Maybe you want to check it out ?
I have. IMHO, it's mediocre as an output source and a total disaster as an input source, because it has low- and high-pass filters that you can't disable.
After reading your post I had to jump out of bed (3am!) and go downstairs to test the DM6 with the iPhone as previously I had just assumed it would suffer the same 48khz upsampling issues.

You will be surprised as I was to read that the iPhone with its tiny dongle played Tidal tracks without any hiss at all. I listened to the same tracks in my favourites and no hiss at all listening in the middle of the night. And not only was the hiss missing - dare I say it again, sound was more holographic stereo that made it more immersive and engaging. Something I have already pointed out in previous posts.
I'm not surprised at all. We've known about the 44 kHz->48 kHz resampling problem for a long time. That was the main purpose of writing this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/ But if you're comparing tracks played back via Neutron or UAPP (with the correct settings) and are still finding your iPhone+dongle sounds better, then, yes, that's unexpected, because there's nothing in the Apple dongle spec sheet that beats the V30, and the dongle can't output the same power into high-impedance loads that the V30 can.

This is going to be another annoyance as I want the V30 to be my dedicated DAP. Looks like I’m going to also rely on the iPhone at times as now in the back of my head i know which gives me the better sound when I don’t need to drive high impedance headphones or MQA.
Well, if you really think that, and this...
Google was created by CIA - End Of.
then maybe the V30 just isn't for you?

BTW, great recommendation on the documentary. Everybody should watch it. There's nothing I disagree with there, except perhaps that it's not just the risk of individuals or groups of individuals becoming tyrants, but the AI algorithms that drive advertising-based revenue platforms. I don't believe that maximizing the truck-loads of shareholder cash (which is all these algorithms are trying to do) can ever be compatible with not being evil. I was with you up until your last post on the CIA, but I'm afraid you lost me there. (Having some of your research funded by a government entity doesn't equate to "being created by".) You should make a separate thread for this discussion on our internet overlords. It's an interesting and useful discussion point, but off-topic for this thread.

Attachments

• thumbsup.jpeg
    thumbsup.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #4,883 of 6,140
That's a bit curious, because typically the transport is of negligible importance. All the important parts (DAC and amp) are in the dongle, which wouldn't care what model of iPhone it was plugged into. .

In the high end HiFi world the transport is not negligible importance and same applies here.
I have used different CD players as transport in my HiFi rig and I assure you the sound delivered is not the same. No idea how you can make that statement.
I tried the dongle with my iPad 2 and it did not sound same as with XS. To me that confirms signal coming from the transports is different in some way and making a difference in the audio output. Changes in Soc ?

I have. IMHO, it's mediocre as an output source and a total disaster as an input source, because it has low- and high-pass filters that you can't disable.

Can you please point me to a source where the IPhone lightning adapter is shown to have high/low pass filters which impacts the final hearing quality. I’m hearing better sub bass with iPhone (not speaking boomy).

I'm not surprised at all. We've known about the 44 kHz->48 kHz resampling problem for a long time. That was the main purpose of writing this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/music-apps-tips-and-tricks-for-the-lg-v30.868978/ But if you're comparing tracks played back via Neutron or UAPP (with the correct settings) and are still finding your iPhone+dongle sounds better, then, yes, that's unexpected, because there's nothing in the Apple dongle spec sheet that beats the V30, and the dongle can't output the same power into high-impedance loads that the V30 can...

In this instance I was just comparing tracks played over the Tidal apps. Previously I have compared and shared my opinions comparing 16/44 tracks with Neutron on iPhone & UAPP on LG. I concluded better clarity (comparatively not veiled), immersive 3D stereo and more tighter and impactful bass with iPhone. With high impedance headphones Apple can’t obviously compete.

Well, if you really think that, and this...
then maybe the V30 just isn't for you?

I use the LG sim-free with much of google apps and dependency stripped back as possible.
Just audio player apps and third party YT app.
No GDrive, gmail, contacts, maps, FB etc
Currently it’s main benefits to me lie in that it can send lossless audio using BT LDAC to Fiio BT3 to my headphones/HiFi amp and can playback MQA.

Trust me when I say I much rather the V30 did all of my audio playback much better than the iPhone XS. It’s what I bought it to do - perform as a dedicated DAP.

And just a link on the none related stuff.
http://themillenniumreport.com/2015/08/google-conceived-funded-and-directed-by-the-cia-part-i/

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #4,884 of 6,140
Anybody recommend a wallet type case that will work with a wireless charger, I have a wallet case from Amazon that will not charge with wireless charger.
It seems LG do not make cases

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #4,885 of 6,140
In the high end HiFi world the transport is not negligible importance and same applies here.
I have used different CD players as transport in my HiFi rig and I assure you the sound delivered is not the same. No idea how you can make that statement.
I tried the dongle with my iPad 2 and it did not sound same as with XS. To me that confirms signal coming from the transports is different in some way and making a difference in the audio output. Changes in Soc ?

Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say zero - I said typically negligible. You may have an atypical case, maybe as a result of crappy shielding (that's true of all iPhones, in my experience), but it's still very unlikely that this would produce any significant change. You can't extrapolate your experience with CD players to pure digital transport - CD can be frought with error. You'll rarely get a 100% perfect rip that doesn't need a correction from something like accurip, even on discs that look pristine. The far more likely explanation here is that the SPLs simply aren't the same and/or you're doing your A/B comparisons sighted.

Can you please point me to a source where the IPhone lightning adapter is shown to have high/low pass filters which impacts the final hearing quality. I’m hearing better sub bass with iPhone (not speaking boomy).

Again, re-read what I wrote. I said the input (from.the mic) has built-in high- and low-pass filters, probably because it's only intended for voice and they wanted to cut out motion rumble and wind noise.

In this instance I was just comparing tracks played over the Tidal apps. Previously I have compared and shared my opinions comparing 16/44 tracks with Neutron on iPhone & UAPP on LG. I concluded better clarity (comparatively not veiled), immersive 3D stereo and more tighter and impactful bass with iPhone. With high impedance headphones Apple can’t obviously compete.

I use the LG sim-free with much of google apps and dependency stripped back as possible.
Just audio player apps and third party YT app.
No GDrive, gmail, contacts, maps, FB etc
Currently it’s main benefits to me lie in that it can send lossless audio using BT LDAC to Fiio BT3 to my headphones/HiFi amp and can playback MQA.

Trust me when I say I much rather the V30 did all of my audio playback much better than the iPhone XS. It’s what I bought it to do - perform as a dedicated DAP.

Trust me, I trust you on this. But you've obviously convinced yourself the iPhone is the superior audio source. At this point, it doesn't matter whether that's true or whether it's simply placebo effect. To you, each time you pick up your iPhone, you're going to have a happier experience.

The only benefit of your V30 seems to be via BT and it's unlikely that you have the lossless transmission there that you think you have, even for standard res 44 kHz/16-bit. Didn't we confirm a few pages back that your LDAC connection wasn't able to sustain the higher-bandwidth setting? And even with most of the Google-related apps removed, are you sure the CIA aren't watching your every move? :wink:

Complaining to people on this thread isn't going to help. Most of us are as pissed as you are that LG and Tidal don't care about them re-sampling 44 kHz PCM. Most of us have learned to tolerate work-arounds, but clearly you haven't. If you're this unhappy with the V30, it's time to quit. Life's too short.

Jan 28, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #4,886 of 6,140
Jan 28, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #4,887 of 6,140
Jan 28, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #4,888 of 6,140
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #4,889 of 6,140
Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say zero - I said typically negligible. You may have an atypical case, maybe as a result of crappy shielding (that's true of all iPhones, in my experience), but it's still very unlikely that this would produce any significant change. You can't extrapolate your experience with CD players to pure digital transport - CD can be frought with error. You'll rarely get a 100% perfect rip that doesn't need a correction from something like accurip, even on discs that look pristine. The far more likely explanation here is that the SPLs simply aren't the same and/or you're doing your A/B comparisons sighted.

Again, re-read what I wrote. I said the input (from.the mic) has built-in high- and low-pass filters, probably because it's only intended for voice and they wanted to cut out motion rumble and wind noise.

Trust me, I trust you on this. But you've obviously convinced yourself the iPhone is the superior audio source. At this point, it doesn't matter whether that's true or whether it's simply placebo effect. To you, each time you pick up your iPhone, you're going to have a happier experience.

The only benefit of your V30 seems to be via BT and it's unlikely that you have the lossless transmission there that you think you have, even for standard res 44 kHz/16-bit. Didn't we confirm a few pages back that your LDAC connection wasn't able to sustain the higher-bandwidth setting? And even with most of the Google-related apps removed, are you sure the CIA aren't watching your every move? :wink:

Complaining to people on this thread isn't going to help. Most of us are as pissed as you are that LG and Tidal don't care about them re-sampling 44 kHz PCM. Most of us have learned to tolerate work-arounds, but clearly you haven't. If you're this unhappy with the V30, it's time to quit. Life's too short.

Good clarifications and points.

LDAC is working sweet with LG and I have no real complaints. Bonus is that the BT3 unit eliminates the hiss.

Time to move on.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #4,890 of 6,140
LG V30+ with beyerdynamic T51i on-ear headphones - evening walks

After a few long, evening Winter walks with my on-ear beyerdynamic T51i headphones and the V30+, I'm happy to report that they sound very, very nice indeed. The T51i headphones have an Apple iOS remote. The corresponding Android versions are the T51p. However, it doesn't impact the audio in any way. I found these headphones more comfortable than the AKG N40 and BGVP DM6 IEMs when walking. Being on-ears, there was no feeling of being 'bunged up' whilst walking fast. The V30+ drove the T51i headphones with ease and my volume level was at 40 as my walk is mainly along a busy road. Outside noises was muted to a large extent so I could enjoy the music through Tidal HiFi (offline mode).

The music was quite exquisite, with a very open and airy soundstage. The music had nice layers with good instrument separation. Vocals were very nice to listen to. Compared to the BGVP DM6, the music didn't grab me in the same way, so it was more in the background, leaving me to my own thoughts for most of the walk (which isn't a bad thing). I could turn my attention to the music with ease whenever I wanted to and it didn't interrupt my own thoughts.

The V30+ produced a very controlled delivery of each song, in an effortless way. I really like this combo for long Winter walks! The T51i headphones are supremely comfortable to wear with the added bonus of the on-ear cups keeping my ears warm during cold evenings.

In a few days I'll be testing my thinksound On2 on-ears on a few evening walks to see how they fare with the V30+ and how they compete with the T51i on-ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back